Menu

OTC Skin Care Regime for Teen Boy

J&JMom

Looks like my 14-year-old got his first zit. I want to start him on a mild, daily regime but don't want to break the bank. He has like two zits on his nose and doesn't need the dermatologist just yet. Both his dad and I had very mild cases of acne resolved quickly with OTC, but it has a been a while since I shopped for such things. What do you recommend?

I started zinc a few years ago for myself and noticed a tremendous difference in my skin. I hate when I don't take it -- I have thickened skin on my elbows and ankles that disappears when I'm on zinc. I use Vitacost for all of my supplements. 

I did some reading on acne and zinc and put my kids (now 17, 15 and 11) on it, several days per week.(In addition, I give them vitamin D3.)  As a teen I didn't have a major problem with acne but my dh did. Neither girl have a problem with it excep for mild break-out monthly. So, do they take after me or has the zinc helped. Probably a little of both. 

My DS only has occasional breakouts mostly around his nose. I've found he does a better job with the cleansing wipes. He uses neutrogena rapid clear cleansing pads. If he's looking a little oily he'll do a Biore heating mask before he gets in the shower. He has pretty good skin so far- just turned 15- so for now this works.

Looks like my 14-year-old got his first zit. I want to start him on a mild, daily regime but don't want to break the bank. He has like two zits on his nose and doesn't need the dermatologist just yet. Both his dad and I had very mild cases of acne resolved quickly with OTC, but it has a been a while since I shopped for such things. What do you recommend?

Is his skin oily, normal or dry? Sensitive?

Our pediatrician recently told my 12yo boy he should be washing his facing multiple times a day with an antibacterial soap like hibiclens. Not sure if it was for acne (which he doesn't have yet) or to prevent recurring infections. However it seems like many people do use it for acne control.