Menu

Latin Christiana and Grammar Recitation

What are you wanting to supplement for exactly? I have heard that the history section is separate now. It used to be scheduled into LCI. And now they have the Famous Men of Rome separate from the LCI plans. So I would definitely add that in.

One thing I do is use the syllabus from the Exploratory Latin Exam. There is a lot of vocabulary and basic history and culture lists to know as well.

The actual info has to be learned elsewhere. It gives lists in English of things kids should know about. You have to research how to teach the info yourself. 

• Like 1

Gotcha. I was thinking in terms of what to add as far as Latin and classical content.   I am a grammar person. LCI will not have the kids writing sentences, paragraphs, outlines or anything in English. It isn't enough grammar for me. I include English. A grammar program is going to include a Lot more than what is in LCI.  I think it is a great reinforcer to the English. But it is much more Latin vocabulary at this level. 

• Like 1

The whole point to MP's Grammar Recitation / Workbook is to have enough grammar if you are already doing a Latin or other foreign language program. So, for a fourth grader, I'd call it enough. If you want to through a whole grammar program at your kid, I wouldn't do the Grammar Recitation & workbook.

I did note, surprisingly, that MP lists a separate grammar program in their core kits for some grades. Not sure why that is.

I admit to only doing a very personalized version of MP's Grammar Recitation this last year with my dd#2 (8th) and dd#3 (5th/6th). We did not use the workbooks because I pulled grammar questions from all over the GR book. We discussed them in their writing and as part of both their Latin & French studies. The only thing we didn't cover systematically was punctuation & capitalization rules (from the back of the GR). It was totally do-able as a 15 minute 3x/week thing. They both did FLL4 last year.

• Like 1

I did those with my 3rd grader this year, who has no previous grammar.  He was fine.  It was enough.  See what is covered in each sample of the workbooks online.  It is made to be less since MP's POV is most Latin is learned through grammar, spend more time on Latin, etc. 

They did add the workbooks to most levels this year based on their teachers' requests.  They are preparing their Highland Latin School students for tests and needed to cover some things not in EGR. I have EGRII on my shelf, and it ramps up and adds simple diagramming. 

I think if you are very worried about grammar, you could just use their R&S English plans.  I am not very worried about it, it covered more than my 3rd grader cared to know (hyphens, semicolons).  It does not cover all parts of speech in the first book.  Each book has separate units for mechanics, parts of speech, and such, so some parts of speech are in the next books.  We used Quizlet for the review parts.  We liked it and will keep going.

• Like 1

I did note, surprisingly, that MP lists a separate grammar program in their core kits for some grades. Not sure why that is.

There will be 5 levels of EGR, and there are currently only 4 available. Once EGR 5 is ready, it will replace Rod and Staff 8 in 8th grade.

There will be 5 levels of EGR, and there are currently only 4 available. Once EGR 5 is ready, it will replace Rod and Staff 8 in 8th grade.

That makes sense. I noticed that they're using Core Skills Language Arts to supplement EGR, so maybe that's what I will do.

• Like 1