Menu

Norse Mythology and Eastern Mythology

Sorry, I'm really picking y'all's brains this week....

I need a good compilation of Norse myths to use for my upcoming eighth grader's study of mythology. 

I'm using Bullfinch's Age of Fable for Greek/Roman, but I need something comparable for Norse myths.

There is one chapter in Bullfinch's that touches on Norse mythology, but I would like an entire book.

I saw that the d'Aulaire's have a book of Norse myths, but I thought it might be too childish.

My second problem is finding a good book of Eastern/Asian mythology. I would really like to introduce her to this part of the world via myths since we haven't focused much on the eastern hemisphere so far. However, finding a book of Asian myths is proving harder than finding a unicorn.

Any suggestions for either of these would be greatly appreciated, fiction or non-fiction.

My DD loves Mythology as well.  She has picked it as one of her 9th-grade electives next fall.  I purchased a used copy of Mythology, The Illustrated Anthology of World Myth & Storytelling.  It's a huge book and covers Eastern & Northern Mythology as well.  There are quite a few copies available right now on Amazon starting at $3.25 for the hardcover (which I recommend because it's such a large book.)

Since DD will also be embarking upon learning Japanese, I plan to integrate the Japanese myths from this book into her foreign language class as well.

Another resource you may want to purchase for Norse mythology would be the Poetic Edda.  I'm hoping to get this for DD at some point as well, but for next year, she wants to focus more on Mesopotamian myths.

HTH

For mid-grades and up, I really liked Padraic Colum's Odin's Children: The Book of Northern Myths; D'Aulieres for younger. 

For "Eastern", that's a huge area, encompassing many different religions and cultures.  

One very common story in China is Monkey; for older kids (middle school and up?) they could read something more complete like Arthur Waley's translation; for younger kids there's a great version of it by Ji-Li Jiang.  Monkey is a trickster and gets into all kinds of mischief.  This tale is known by everyone in Chinese-speaking countries; there are comic books and animated films galore.

For Indian stories, I had my kids read juvenile versions of the Mahabarata and Ramayana. (I hesitate to call these myths, as Hinduism is alive and well.  But these are the main source of Indian stories of gods and men and heroes).  There are also tons of picture books with stories from these sources, on Rama/Sita, Hanuman, Krishna, Arjun, the Bhagavad Gita, and many more.  You could also look for stories about Shiva, Parvati, and Ganesha.

I also have a book called Japanese Children's Favorite Stories.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 5

Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology is pretty good as an audiobook - he reads it and he is an excellent reader. I was kind of disappointed in it because I wanted it to be amazing, and it was just pretty good. But it is pretty good :)

There are some adult spots, so you may want to preread or prelisten for an 8th grader.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 3

Oh, and you didn't ask for Africa but Tales from Africa (Oxford Myths and Legends) is good. We discovered it through the National Mythology Exam. I see that the series has volumes for India and China. I think they would be worth a look, based on my experience with the African one.

We're doing this as a read aloud right now and enjoying it. =)

My oldest (11) read D'Aulaire's Norse Myths this year also.  =)

• Like 2

I doubt D Luaire's (I never spell that right, I know.)  is too babyish. We used the Greek one this year for my 7th grader and 9th grader while studying for National Latin Exams, and it was a lot of fun and very informative. I haven't read the Norse one yet, but have it in my cart for next year for Middle Ages study for my then 8th and 10th graders.   Both of mine have read the Tales From Africa listed above as well. I actually haven't read that one in full, so I can't say if I like it. But they seemed to. 

• Like 2

My second problem is finding a good book of Eastern/Asian mythology. I would really like to introduce her to this part of the world via myths since we haven't focused much on the eastern hemisphere so far. However, finding a book of Asian myths is proving harder than finding a unicorn.

This book was recommended by Well Trained mind

Japanese Tales and Legends by Helen McAlpine

I have it from the library but we haven't started it yet.  I hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Green Willow and Other Japanese Fairy Tales by Grace James illustrated by Warwick Gobel

https://smile.amazon.com/Green-Willow-Other-Japanese-Fairy/dp/1606600737/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497129743&sr=8-1&keywords=Green+willow+and+other+japanese+fairy+tales+grace+james+calla+edition

The other (less expensive) editions on amazon seem to be from those cheap reprint publishers. I have the Calla edition and it is beautiful and worth the money, but still... expensive.

I believe that the Norse equivalent of Bullfinch is Geurber's Myths of the Norsemen: From the Eddas and Sagas. I'm not sure if it's still in print. I have an ancient old Dover edition. 

It's okay, I think. The illustrations in my edition aren't worthwhile, but the stories are written interesting enough, though you'll get the usual smattering of "heathen times" talk.

I second Padraic Colum's book for Norse myths. The reader who reads it on librivox is awesome! We've been enjoying Tales of a Chinese Grandmother and Tales of a Korean Grandmother for eastern stuff. None of these are quite the same as Bulfinch, but they're fine for gaining familiarity with the stories. Also, don't forget Arabian Nights!

• 4 weeks later...