Menu

Going to Be Daring...

MommyLiberty5013

Sorry. This is a post about hemorrhoids. So if you don't want to read more, I will understand. I am interested in hearing peoples' experiences with medical intervention when all the OTC methods do not work.

Without too much detail, I have two thrombosed problems after 4 kiddos. It's been a year since they flared up, but the past week has been unbearable with pain - like 7-8 on the pain scale. I've done the high fiber diet with water, tucks, Prep-H, suppositories, bathing, and a prescription strength cream for pain. I have iced myself repeatedly. I lay on my side as much as I can.

Anyway, this afternoon I have an appointment with a colon/rectal doctor to see about getting them treated. Likely lanced or I don't know what she will suggest.

Any feedback on this? Warnings? Successes? I am hoping with so many women who have given birth on here, likely somebody has some advice to share.

Thanks. I'm feeling sheepish asking because, this is such a yucky, taboo topic...

My mom just had the surgery. She had suffered for about 15 years....and she said hers wernt that painful but just so aggravating and it kept her from using the bathroom properly and when she walked too much it was a problem.

The surgeon says he only recommends surgery to about 20% of his patients because it is a painful surgery. My mom is two weeks out and MUCH better now but it was a very painful first week of recovery.

Surgeon told her she would be furious she had the surgery for the first ten days and after that very happy that she had the surgery. Almost dead on accurate.

• Like 1

Following. I think maybe I have hemorrhoid, although I'm not totally sure. Since I gave birth it burns a bit when I poop sometimes, but I had zero tearing or any reason for my rectum to be hurting. So..although I don't feel anything going on down there, I'm guessing that is what it is. 

My mom had the surgery when I was in HS. I don't recall exactly what procedure they did, but she was in and out and back on her feet within a week or 2. She 100% was glad she did it. 

I think I would look into it if I were in a lot of pain and nothing helped. My mom never had a problem again. Without the surgery, they will keep coming back to irritate you off and on throughout your life. I had one doctor offer to take care of mine (I was literally giving birth when she said it!) but for me, it's just an inconvenience instead of a real pain.

So......I had babies back to back a few years ago and let's just say it left me with some similar issues. I finally sought help and was referred to a Colorectal Surgeon. His first line of treatment was a nitroglycerin preparation. That stuff is like magic. I was initially a candidate for surgery, but had to put it off as I had no one to take care of my kids (dh just couldn't be away from work that much longer- after the birth of #3.) I'm glad I did because a couple of months of the nitro stuff did the trick. I never ended up having the surgery. If you want more info feel free to PM me.

(Possible TMI, but here's my experience)

I had a hemorrhoid surgically removed about 2-3 years ago. When I went in to have it checked out, other options weren't discussed, just surgery.

Recovery SUCKED. Having a bowel movement was the absolute worst part of my day for about two weeks afterwards. I went through a lot of lidocaine cream, and those moistened wipes. And afterwards I was often shaky and just had to lay down for a bit.

But (heh heh) I am glad I had it done. I enjoy not having to think about it anymore. Would I do it again? I'm honestly not sure. I'd have to think long and hard about it.

So: surgery works and is very effective, but if there's another option, definitely look into those first.

Edited by Sammish

I had the surgery about 4 years ago. It does work, but recovery for the first 10 days or so is very painful. Bowel movements were agonizing. I really had to take fiber, take Miralax, and Magnesium Calm to keep everything "loose". One tip, if you do this, is get a plastic ketchup bottle and fill with water. Squirt the water to help clean yourself after a BM because wiping is very painful. This was the best tip I got regarding recovery. Also, recently I am having some pain again, so not sure if it's a long term solution. I remember the surgeon telling me the surgery should last about 10 years. She didn't tell me this until after the surgery.

Would I do it again? Probably, if it became really painful on a daily basis, but it will probably take a lot of pain to get me there. You may not want to hear this, but I thought recovery was worse than recovery from my C-section.