Menu

How to purchase Math Mammoth?!!!

I would like to think I am somewhat computer savy... but the Math Mammoth website is driving me nuts! How do you purchase things on there?!! Why is there not a link to 1st grade materials - and then click purchase all?!! From what I am seeing they like you to 'download' a workbook and then print it yourself - correct? What order are the suppose to be in and is there a TM?!! Ahhhhh.... I would like a mastery based math program for my dd and though we have worked with some of R&S 1 I would feel better about choosing a program that would challenge her a bit more.

Maybe I need to find a different mastery based math program...

Math Mammoth is a great program. It'll be okay!

If you want the physical books, they do sell them, though I think Rainbow Resources has better prices maybe. If you have multiple kids, you should probably get the pdf. If you have one kid and don't think you'll ever use it again and don't have access to free printing (say, through a spouse's work where no one cares how much you print, which is how I printed MM for ages) then buy the physical books.

There are NO TM's. MM is a worktext - it's written to the student. There are teaching notes at the start for you, though they're not extensive. If you get the physical book and want the answer key, you can also purchase that. 

• Like 1

Math Mammoth is a great program. It'll be okay!

If you want the physical books, they do sell them, though I think Rainbow Resources has better prices maybe. If you have multiple kids, you should probably get the pdf. If you have one kid and don't think you'll ever use it again and don't have access to free printing (say, through a spouse's work where no one cares how much you print, which is how I printed MM for ages) then buy the physical books.

There are NO TM's. MM is a worktext - it's written to the student. There are teaching notes at the start for you, though they're not extensive. If you get the physical book and want the answer key, you can also purchase that. 

Thank you so much! I will check out RR site :) That is kinda nice they do not have a TM - I hardly follow them anyways. lol

Have you used Math U See? They look to be mastery also but I also dismissed them because of the blocks/manipulates. I find things like that confusing (to me) and time consuming. Could a person just get the workbook for MUS and skip the blocks if their children are understanding numbers?

Thank you so much! I will check out RR site :) That is kinda nice they do not have a TM - I hardly follow them anyways. lol

Have you used Math U See? They look to be mastery also but I also dismissed them because of the blocks/manipulates. I find things like that confusing (to me) and time consuming. Could a person just get the workbook for MUS and skip the blocks if their children are understanding numbers?

I haven't, but it seems like the blocks are so integrated that I can't quite imagine doing that. But I'm also a Cuisenaire rods devotee. One of my sons thrived with Miquon and we continued using them off and on for ages. I think you're choosing from really different programs if those are your two main options. MM has a rep for being a little on the challenging side. MUS has a rep for being more on the easy end. Both are mastery, but MM covers a wider variety of topics every year while MUS is more focused on bringing a single topic to really strong mastery. MM is all worksheet based. MUS has the blocks.

Your dd is in first grade, yes? So in addition to MM, other programs that might challenge her a little more would probably include Singapore, Math in Focus, and MEP. I would think that MUS wouldn't be more challenge - more like, just a different approach than R&S if she needed one.

Since you asked about mus and I've used both mm and mus, I thought I'd reply. For mus you do need the blocks. The program, at least at the beginning, uses them heavily. It is a nice mastery program and works really well. You really don't need the mus tm, but the dvd is nice. The answer key is in the tm too. You could buy just the workbooks, but then it would be an expensive workbook considering you wouldn't be teaching the mus way.

Mm is a bit different I. It's mastery approach than mus. There is much more review in mm IMO. Also more topics are covered (or at least it feels that way to me). In mus each workbook covers one topic only- just addition and subtraction, just multiplication, etc. there is a little other things in there that goes along with the main topic like maybe perimeter or area, but it focuses on the main topic.

We bought the whole program digitally since I have multi children and I've liked it overall. The nice thing with digital is picking and choosing which sheets you want to use and using for other children. I use it to supplement my other children who are using other programs when they need extra practice or another approach. I also don't use every worksheet for a graded level. When I can tell my child has mastered an idea, we move on.

I bought the pdf from Homeschool Buyers Co-op years ago... but I don't use it (except in looking at the answer key occasionally). :o I actually just buy the workbooks from RR, the color versions. Only a little bit extra, but the color is helpful in our house.

ETA: Just wanted to add -- I buy the workbooks but then take it to Kinkos and have the binding removed. Backwards sounding, I know, but we like the flexibility of easily skipping around between topics or taking a few pages with us in a folder. :p