Menu

But for the grace of God go I....

retiredHSmom

Yesterday my daughter and I were packing and moving her belongings from her college apartment to her new town to start work on the 5th.  Her college is in a big city.  At about 11:30 am (right before lunch) she decided to step out to 7-eleven to get us each a drink.  When she came back she told  me that she went out the back door and through the alley and that she had almost hit a young man with the doors as she went out. She stopped and apologized to him.  We finished packing and loaded the car and as we were pulling out of her garage at 12:45 we got a campus text alert that there had been an armed robbery on campus.  The location was the alley behind her building.  Ten minutes later she received another text with details and found that the young man that she hit with the door was the robber (with a revolver in his pocket).

It was was surreal moment to realize that for some reason he passed her over.  She has lived there for five years and always felt safe and has walked though the city many times.

Edited by Tania
  • Like 3

Wow.  How scary!  I disagree with Wintermom... if she has always felt safe in the area and it's a normal, bustling, busy campus, there would be nothing particularly dangerous about walking out the back door of her building to go buy a drink.  Only supremely bad luck to be the victim.  For all we know, her kindness and politeness are what made the criminal hesitate and pass her by.  Thank God, and I hope the victim was unhurt.

• Like 7

Glad she's safe!  Hope they caught the guy.

Your post reminded me of a time when I was a young mom and hubby was in the area where an office shooting took place.  He called me to let me know he was safe, but I was scared for him and had to turn the news off.  I put my youngster (an only at the time) in the stroller and went to a nearby park we always walk in - total daylight - working hours.  There we saw a man sitting on a picnic table looking like he had just had a hard time - lost his mom or something similar.  I almost went up to him to talk with him, but didn't.

Later on the news I saw that he was the shooter... and committed suicide in that park in front of another mom with her kids.

I was worried about hubby, but in reality, I was the one who was in a dangerous spot doing a totally ordinary thing.  It's stuck with me.  One can't predict these things.

One never knows.

I'm glad your daughter is safe.

• Like 6

Wow!  I always wonder how many times these types of things happen and we are never aware.  Very thankful your daughter is safe!

I spent much of yesterday pondering the same thing. Anytime there is crime many people probably pass right by the perpetrator with no ill effect at all.  A surreal thought

• Like 2

So glad she's safe. Perhaps places and times to avoid in future would be going out alone at 11:30 pm and walking through alleys.  The first step to self-defense is avoiding potentially dangerous situations. 

Sorry that I wasn't clear it was 11:30 am. Right before lunch.

• Like 6

Glad she's safe!  Hope they caught the guy.

Your post reminded me of a time when I was a young mom and hubby was in the area where an office shooting took place.  He called me to let me know he was safe, but I was scared for him and had to turn the news off.  I put my youngster (an only at the time) in the stroller and went to a nearby park we always walk in - total daylight - working hours.  There we saw a man sitting on a picnic table looking like he had just had a hard time - lost his mom or something similar.  I almost went up to him to talk with him, but didn't.

Later on the news I saw that he was the shooter... and committed suicide in that park in front of another mom with her kids.

I was worried about hubby, but in reality, I was the one who was in a dangerous spot doing a totally ordinary thing.  It's stuck with me.  One can't predict these things.

One never knows.

I'm glad your daughter is safe.

So you now exactly how we feel.  What a story to have.  It is odd when something happens that even with its non-happening-ness it shifts the entire way you view the world.

• Like 1

OMGOSH! As the mom of an adult child (she graduated from college last spring),, sending prayers for your peace of mind and..hers. In my experience, as children get bigger, the worries grow proportionately. WOW. Your post was appropriately titled. 

• Like 1

So glad she's safe. Perhaps places and times to avoid in future would be going out alone at 11:30 pm and walking through alleys.  The first step to self-defense is avoiding potentially dangerous situations. 

I thought OP mentioned "it was right before lunch?"

• Like 3

I'm glad she's safe.  maybe becasue she so promptly apologized - he thought she was too nice to rob.  =D. 

dd just changed jobs from suburb to city.  she was going to take the bus that would have required walking 1 1/2 miles each way.  (mostly in the city). she didn't feel safe walking to a bus stop on the way home (not close to the bus she needs) - so, she's driving and gets in at 6:30 so before the traffic is nasty.  her employer will pay for parking. (they would have paid for the bus pass.)

So you know exactly how we feel.  What a story to have.  It is odd when something happens that even with its non-happening-ness it shifts the entire way you view the world.

Absolutely.  Your story brought back the memories - and shudders - and realization that there's no real way to protect ourselves at all times.  One can't live in a styrofoam box - or it they do, then they miss "life."  We pray and do our best while stepping out.

I'll admit to googling "my" incident - not quite sure why - just felt the need to do so, perhaps sort of shuddering reminisce.

http://www.upi.com/Archives/1993/01/27/Gunman-kills-three-self/2092728110800/

• Like 1