Menu

The Good and the Beautiful LA

Mom27kidz

I have been using this with my son. He is dyslexic so we are using it a few levels below his grade level. I have looked through several levels. It is by far my favorite language arts program. It has everything included which is what my son wanted. He wanted one language arts program instead of individual components for spelling, writing, literature, etc. 

I am going to order it.  It looks a lot like ELTL which has worked for us well, but we are sick of reading fables.  She does scatter in Arabella Buckley books(which we LOVE) but not often enough. lol

I do not like the looks of grade 7 with TG&TB.  At the point, I want to be working out of lit books.

ETA:

I will continue to use R&S Spelling.

Edited by rjand6more

I just purchased and received Level 7. I definitely like this curriculum.

My impression so far:

The lessons seems short but overall will require my son to really think & apply himself.

Nice mix in the lessons, not the same exact thing everyday.

Student can work independently

If you have specific questions about this level, happy to answer :)

• Like 1

I just purchased and received Level 7. I definitely like this curriculum.

My impression so far:

The lessons seems short but overall will require my son to really think & apply himself.

Nice mix in the lessons, not the same exact thing everyday.

Student can work independently

If you have specific questions about this level, happy to answer :)

With regard to level 7, does the writing seem to be enough or do you plan to supplement it? 

My son will be writing with our history curriculum and doing book summaries, so we are not supplementing with a writing curriculum on top of TG & TB. In looking at it though, it certainly seems to be enough on its own, definitely enough if your child is writing in other subjects. The first writing lessons seem to focus on paraphrasing, which is introduced in Lesson 9. In Lessons 19 and 20 it discusses the thesis & body of an essay, topic sentences, styles of writing, etc. And in Lesson 22 the first essay is assigned about nature. The next essay assigned is an informal essay in Lesson 29, so I'd say it moves along nicely. The writing assignments seem to be bitesize though, so it doesn't seem like too much all at once, which I love. It assigns note taking, thank you notes, fictional biography, dialogue, fictional story, friendship essay, editing, short stories, and a literary analysis essay. It is very heavy on grammar. There may be more writing assignments as well, but that's what I see in glancing over it. :-) Hope this helps.

Can you tell me how much time it's been taking you each day? Do you do it 5 days or 4? I looked at both Course and the Companion and thought of doing something like alternating one day Course book one day Companion book. Would something like that work?

I just don't want to be spending 2 hours on LA each day KWIM?

I would be using levels 4 and 6.

The Level 7 guide says it should be used 4 days a week & won't take longer than 90 minutes a day (that time includes 30 minutes of reading the assigned challenge book too). A mom on TWTM said it only takes her daughter about 45 minutes a day; her daughter used Level 4 or 5 I think. Im not sure if that included extra reading or just the workbook.

I'm wanting a light grammar year (with a greater focus on writing) next year for my 7th grader, so perhaps we'll wait until the following year for TG&TB. 

I'm still undecided on my rising 5th grader. He does fine with CLE but I also want to focus more on writing with him AND applying grammar to writing which seems to be a challenge for this particular child. I'm anxious to see what level 5 looks like when it is released. 

I'm seriously considering level 2 for my rising 2nd grader -- we're "test driving" it right now using the free PDF download. 

I'm wanting a light grammar year (with a greater focus on writing) next year for my 7th grader, so perhaps we'll wait until the following year for TG&TB. 

I'm still undecided on my rising 5th grader. He does fine with CLE but I also want to focus more on writing with him AND applying grammar to writing which seems to be a challenge for this particular child. I'm anxious to see what level 5 looks like when it is released. 

I'm seriously considering level 2 for my rising 2nd grader -- we're "test driving" it right now using the free PDF download. 

Yes, I would definitely choose another curriculum if you are looking for a light grammar year. There is a good bit of sentence diagramming & a strong focus on grammar overall.  As for writing though, it seems to be very solid. In-between essays it really focuses on writing well constructed sentences, so the emphasis is more on quality than quantity.  

I plan on using Levels 2, 5 and 7 next year.  I have bought and read through all three levels. I cannot say enough good things about it.  It includes geography and art as well!!  It integrates so many subjects beautifully! (no pun intended LOL)   I am considering using their history program as well!  Love it!!  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just finishing up our first week using levels 7, 4(5when it comes out), 3, and 1.

I'm impressed so far. Level 3 started teaching essay writing in lesson 4. Level 7 is really good (been looking ahead too). Ds needs the grammar and writing. He is enjoying the geography integration, and honestly this non natural speller is benefiting from the dictation (making him follow exactly, including writing each missed word 5times each, very motivating). Level 1 is going faster for my upcoming 2nd grade dd. We are doing two lessons a day. She loves the mini books even though they are easy for her at this point. I'm glad I went with level 1 for her as its been a great phonics review, and I see the benefits already.

Using the last 30 lessons from level 4 till level 5 is ready. I really like the writing lessons. The companion is beautiful. Ds really likes it.

Overall my favorite thing is that there is variety in the lessons. I was piecing everything together myself, all those workbooks were taking forever, and we were doing them every day. Burn out! Dc have really enjoyed this week and we have more time for typing, music, math... 😀

Edited by 5sons
  • Like 1

This is all such great information. My plan was to continue with Abeka 2 for my twins next year but since they are reading fluently I switched them over to TG&TB for next year. I printed out all of the manuals and had them bound. They look so lovely and the kids are all excited. Hearing these updates make me even more excited!

• Like 1

How long is it taking each day for Level 7? I bought it to use with my 13 year old son & we won't start school until mid August. I plan to do the challenge reading with him too. Im just curious about the length of lessons, is it really 90 minutes with everything? I've looked through the first 30 lessons or so & really love it!!

Edited by mytwomonkeys

It's taking about 60-90 min give or take depending on the lesson. That includes the dictation, course lesson, drawing, grammar/geo flash cards, and state ladders. I am also having him read the Yearling (his choice of lit book, Shane is his next choice). That is taking another 30 min. My ds is 13. This is actually taking him much less time than what I was piecing together. So he is happy.

The drawing has been mostly line drawing so far and he is beyond this, so I just told him that it helps breaks up the work load and he can do the line drawings or something similar that he chooses. He has done one of each.

Funny but he loves the grammar and geography cards. He says this is what he's been needing 😆

Eta: I'm a notoriously bad speller 🙄

Edited by 5sons
  • Like 1

It's taking about 60-90 min give or take depending on the lesson. That includes the dictation, course lesson, drawing, grammar/geo flash cards, and state ladders. I am also having him read the Yearling (his choice of lit book, Shane is his next choice). That is taking another 30 min. My ds is 13. This is actually taking him much less time than what I was piecing together. So he is happy.

The drawing has been mostly line drawing so far and he is beyond this, so I just told him that it helps breaks up the work load and he can do the line drawings or something similar that he chooses. He has done one of each.

Funny but he loves the grammar and geography cards. He says this is what he's been needing 😆

Eta: I'm a notoriously bad speller 🙄

Thank you!!! Very helpful😊