Menu

Generation Change Dave Ramsey

Diamond went through Financial Peace University with us, twice.

SweetChild just finished Foundations in Personal Finance. Today!

From the website, https://www.daveramsey.com/gc/faq it says

"What is the difference between Generation Change and Foundations in Personal Finance?

Generation Change is a biblically based, nine-lesson study designed for churches and parents of teenagers. Foundations in Personal Finance is Dave's twelve-lesson school curriculum used in public, private and home schools."

I'd check oit the sample lessons... Foundations won't have all the Bible verses, but we were OK with that. SweetChild really learned a lot from the Foundations... She just got her first comma in her bank account- feeling proud of my "Thousandaire" LOL! Not bad for someone without regular paid employment- just occasional babysitting as it fit around rehearsals.

Anyway, she is an odd mix of spender AND saver, Foundations gave her an easy to understand plan to help her identity and meet her goals.

Just remember, a "budget" is really a "spending plan" so it will help your student plan their spending AND their saving and giving.

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 2

My then-HS junior took the secular version as part of a personal finance class at her public high school.  It was possibly the most useful class she's taken in high school.  Many kids will just pick up a lot of what is taught if their parents are open about money and have a good handle on it, but there are plenty of kids who will not.  This one wouldn't, I am sure.  She now, however, regularly points out (to us, not her friends) financial mistakes she sees her friends making, especially as they're gearing up for college searches.  It definitely made my already-practical girl even more so.

• Like 1

Where can you find the secular version?

My then-HS junior took the secular version as part of a personal finance class at her public high school. It was possibly the most useful class she's taken in high school. Many kids will just pick up a lot of what is taught if their parents are open about money and have a good handle on it, but there are plenty of kids who will not. This one wouldn't, I am sure. She now, however, regularly points out (to us, not her friends) financial mistakes she sees her friends making, especially as they're gearing up for college searches. It definitely made my already-practical girl even more so.

We used the longer student version, and both of mine got a lot out of it and already have budget categories for the money they earn.

sounds interesting. how much is the home version?

https://www.daveramsey.com/store/financial-peace-university/foundations-in-personal-finance/foundations-home-school/cFPU-cfoundations-cFHM-p1.html

I paid the extra $20 for the DVDs so I could reuse with a younger student, the online version has a time limit.

Where can you find the secular version?

I think you have to talk to someone, it doesn't look like you can just order it, probably because it would typically be used in public schools. Like how it's hard to get teachers guides and other public school curriculum? But it's really good, I would ask.

https://www.daveramsey.com/school/highschool

Definitely check out the sample chapters! You get the entire chapter 1 lesson