Menu

Needing some good book recs in the Mystery genre

Beth S

A good friend, who has graduated her 3 homeschooled kids, and teaches writing at our local CC, was hoping for some summer book recommendations, mainly Mysteries.  I've enjoyed talking with her about this, and thought you all would be an obviously wonderful resource.

I suggested #1 Ladies Detective Agency, Death Comes to Pemberley, but I don't read many mysteries.

Here's her request:

Do any of you know of any well-written historical mystery series whose main character is a good person and who does not engage in illicit sex?  The mysteries don’t have to be historical, but I like to learn while reading, and usually I get more of that out of good historical mystery.   I’ve read all the Charles Todd novels (I especially like the Inspector Ian Rutledge ones, so a series like that would be the sort I’m looking for).  I’ve already read the Brother Cadfael series, and most Agatha Christie novels.  I’m probably too lazy to stay with the Father Brown mysteries.   My efforts to find additional series of the sort I like have been unsuccessful.  The main characters always hop in bed (not with their spouse) halfway through the book. 

Historical fiction similar to Rosemary Sutcliffe’s young adult books featuring characters who do the best they can in bad times (e.g. The Lantern Bearers, Eagle of the 9th, Mark of the Horse Lord; The Shining Company; Shield Ring) would also be great if you know of any.       

--Sally

p.s. Good dystopian young adult books work for me too so long as the main character(s) have integrity (or will become better during hard times), e.g. Allegra Goodman’s The Other Side of the Island.

The Armand Gamache books feature a central character who is happily married and tries to do good.  The stories aren't always cosy though.

http://www.louisepenny.com/

I'm going to give a warning, though, that one of the characters uses the f-bomb liberally so if that's a dealbreaker now you know.  lol  That said, no s*xual stuff that I recall and I like the series a lot.

Maybe the Sebastian St. Cyr series by C.S. Harris (although some of the crimes are slightly disturbing, depending on your comfort level, lol).  Also, the Mary Russell novels (at least the first 6-8 or so...I got away from the series after a while) by Laurie King are good.  

For an older series, I really enjoyed the Dame Frevisse mysteries by Margaret Frazer.  They might be hard to find; I've bought them all as I came across them at library sales and half price books so that I can reread them again some day!  Dame Frevisse is a benedictine nun with a strong spirit and character.  I liked reading about the little details of abbey life.  This is one series that I think got better with each subsequent book.

• Like 3

I'm going to give a warning, though, that one of the characters uses the f-bomb liberally so if that's a dealbreaker now you know.  lol  That said, no s*xual stuff that I recall and I like the series a lot.

I'd forgotten that, thanks.  

I was wondering whether to recommend Sayers.  The central male character is open about having had many affairs before marriage, and the central female character has one affair before marriage.  The affairs are I believe all off-screen (either in the past or not described as part of the plot).  There's no swearing and no sexual description.

There's a moral intensity to them - a dedication to intellectual rigour and strict honesty in relationships.  If this sounds possible then I would recommend: Strong Poison, Have His Carcass, Gaudy Night and Busman's Honeymoon.

• Like 1

The Darling Dahlias series by Susan Wittig Albert came to mind when your friend mentioned characters making the best out of bad times. The series is set in 1930s Alabama, so the community is dealing with issues such as societal roles for women and African-Americans, Depression-era economics, and Prohibition. These books are considered "cozy mystery" and is mostly clean in language and subject.

• Like 1

The Darling Dahlias series by Susan Wittig Albert came to mind when your friend mentioned characters making the best out of bad times. The series is set in 1930s Alabama, so the community is dealing with issues such as societal roles for women and African-Americans, Depression-era economics, and Prohibition. These books are considered "cozy mystery" and is mostly clean in language and subject.

I didn't know she wrote anything other than the China Bayles mysteries. After reading your post I googled and I see she has several. I'll be looking at them. Thanks, even though this isn't my thread. :)

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

I was going to recommend the Mrs. Pollifax series too.  They're not historical, but each book takes place in a difference country so you learn a little about the different countries.  They're very clean, for a murder mystery!

Also, my adult dd enjoys the Maisie Dobbs mysteries.  I haven't read them myself, but they take place during WWI in England.  

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

dorothy sayers Lord Peter Wimsey (the younger son of a duke) series.  oh my, absolutely shouldn't be missed by any classical homeschooling participant.   

Miss Sayers was most shocked when she was coming to the end of her writing for Lord Peter and realized he had never so much as kissed his love, Harriet Vane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/Lord_Peter_Wimsey

p.d. james is also good.

• Like 1