Menu

Progeny Press vs Memoria Press vs Kolbe Academy for Jr.High Lit?

I am trying to nail down Literature plans for the upcoming school year for my rising 8th grader.  Unfortunately, our local tutorial is not offering an 8th grade English Lit class that appeals to either of us.   I am less concerned about writing this year since he did both IEW and LTOW this past year and it about killed us both.  However, I DO want him reading quality literature and without some type of plan or guide, I am concerned that he may not read with intention.  We are adopting a child in Aug/Sept and we have twin rising 4th graders so I have been trying to outsource all my DS's classes that I can to ease my load a little but we are stuck on what to do for Lit.

I have looked at Kolbe, Memoria, and Progeny Press.  I am drawn to the description of Kolbe but I am unsure how it is laid out and saw some negative feedback on it.  However, I  like that it includes saint studies and poetry as well.

I like the idea of individual lit units from Memoria and Progeny and honestly prefer Progeny at this point.

What I want in a Lit Study are:

1) Vocabulary words to define

2) Basic review questions

3) A few short answer questions

4) Basic literary analysis questions

5) Suggested writing prompts

I don't really want or need anything more complicated than that.  I would like to have DS write a three to five paragraph essay at the end of each book study using either IEW or LTOW methods (just to keep both of those fresh).  I don't feel like that would be too much or too little but I'm unsure as to which company provides what I am looking for.  I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Lit Studies that I am planning on for the year are:

The Screwtape Letters

Uncle Tom's Cabin

The Yearling

Merchant of Venice

I'm also planning to do some mini-studies on some short stories and poems and will likely use Memoria Press for that unless I get the Kolbe curriculum.

TIA!

MP has a separate poetry program you purchase to do with the lit guides. I haven't used it, just the lit guides, but it is in my wishlist to look at at some point.

I really like what I am seeing with this one. I'm 99% sure that'll be the one we choose.

This sounds like Hewitt"s Lightning Literature.  They have 7th and 8th grade -- you can find samples online.  Can be done independently as far as I have heard. We haven't done it but I am looking at it for next year.

I've looked at this today but I don't see an option to purchase individual units and the ones they have bundled are not the titles I would choose for DS.

I did, however, find a Screwtape Letters study guide free online and have printed it out.  We listed to Chapter 1 today (because we have the Audible version) and went through it together.  It really prompted some in-depth conversations which is exactly what I want literature to do :) I may just take it one unit at a time. The price of Kolbe up front is a huge game changer :/ 

• 2 weeks later...

My experience w/ various literature programs:

Memoria press allows you to focus on specific books and run your own program, but their curriculum is very workbook focused.  My kids hated that as it had them focus on minutia of each chapter, rather than historical background, morality, or philosophy.

Veritas Press has an excellent grammar stage online literature program that my youngest son adored - and, honestly the selection of books for grammar grades is aggressive - but  in middle school, they integrate literature w/ history..so if you aren't doing their history program, it doesn't really make sense.

Kolbe has a great online set of middle school literature classes, but the grading is a little tough and the book selection is not as ambitious as I would like.  Oliver Twist is considered 8th grade.  On the other hand, the teachers are excellent with bringing out the historical context and morality of each characters actions and in focusing on the real meaning of the books.

Wilson Hill Academy we are considering this year based on good experience with their honors physics class last year(awesome books and teachers), but they do have some weaknesses in not using schoology and teachers sometimes taking forever to grade material completely (I think some of the teachers aren't careful about hand grading answers the computer can't handle).  WHA, like some other schools, also seems to be in a hurry to wipe the online system fast after the end of the year making it more difficult to get a complete grade report/end of year transcript.