Menu

Full ride scholarship and FAFSA

I say file it every year. I skipped last year because the calculator showed we shouldn't receive anything. I needed to file for next year because dd will probably need to take out a small student loan. She's on a full tuition scholarship, but it doesn't cover room, board, or books. When I filed, it gave me the option to file for this current year. She ended up getting $1300 for this school year.

This year was already paid for, so it posted as a credit balance and was refunded to her. Dd really needed a new laptop, so it was a big help. 

You never know if you'll need the money for something else. 

• Like 1

If dd is entering college on a full ride scholarship will we need to file FAFSA again in the fall?

My kids are full-pay using VA benefits, and their schools each still require us to full out the FAFSA, even though every year we qualify for nothing except very small unsubsidized parent loans (which we always reject). It's a fruitless endeavor, yet the schools themselves require it. I think it's so they can compile accurate financial statistics about their student body.

Edited by Kinsa

Our sons both received full scholarships (room, board, tuition, books) and also Pell grants. The grants went in the bank for other expenses. So, yes, file FAFSA.

We're missionaries, so our income qualified them for full grants. A blessing.

I would file the FAFSA. If you receive aid, that money can be used for other expenses. In addition, some merit scholarships require that you file the FAFSA.

• Like 1

Our sons both received full scholarships (room, board, tuition, books) and also Pell grants. The grants went in the bank for other expenses. So, yes, file FAFSA.

We're missionaries, so our income qualified them for full grants. A blessing.

I would file the FAFSA. If you receive aid, that money can be used for other expenses. In addition, some merit scholarships require that you file the FAFSA.

• Like 1

My older two received full-ride scholarships and we had to fill out the FAFSA every year.

My youngest receives merit aid, and for her school we do NOT need to fill out the FAFSA. (I had her triple-check at the end of her first year, but we didn't fill it out last year and she did receive the aid......) Go figure!

So check with the school --- it really does depend 100% on the college.

• Like 1

As others have said, it depends on the school.  Make sure you talk to someone who is competent.  Bureaucracy and incompetency abounds in the university system.  Often you talk to a work-study student who knows less than you do. I would consider emailing in addition to calling. 

• Like 1