Menu

My DD just returned from Mexico & is sick.

Hi, I didn't want this word in the title but DD came back Sunday night and has had stomach cramps and the RUNS ever since. She had a fever as high as 101 yesterday. I'm a little worried. My DH (who also went) came down with slight runs but they lasted only a day. So should I be concerned or do you think it's because they just ate junk and beans for 3 days straight? She tells me (and Dad confirms) that she only drank bottled water.

She's running to the bathroom about every 15-30 minutes. I'm having to force her to drink and she isn't eating much (had a piece of toast this morning but nothing yesterday).

I would at least call your doctor and explain her symptoms and tell them that she was in Mexico.

Even if she only drank bottled water, if she ate anything cooked in a restaurant, *they* may have used their own water for cooking it, you know? Even rice is boiled in water.

Sounds like it could be something she caught and you don't want her to dehydrate.

Hope she feels better soon!!

I think that I would take her in. You can get some pretty nasty bugs and it isn't always just water. Lettuce, and other vegetables washed in local water can be contaminated, so can fruits that are not peeled. When we went to the Philippines we were really careful with bottled water (even used it for brushing teeth) but I was dumb and let my dd eat a locally made popsicle. It never even occurred to me that the main ingredient was water. She threw up for a day.

I think one of the main concerns with diarrhea is dehydration. Get her stuff like otter pops.

You're right. That's why locals in the area can drink the water and eat anything and be just fine!
Maybe locals in the US? Where the water is treated? No, here in Mexico no-one drinks the water except those too poor to afford agua purificada.

Our personal water is cenote water so it probably isn't contaminated (but it is salty) but the pipes and delivery methods in your house will definitely contaminate it.

I would call the doctor. It sounds similar to what my dh and I got when we went to Mexico for our honeymoon 18 years ago. I was sick for a couple of weeks. DH was sick for close to a month. He lost quite a bit of weight. I think the doctor finally put him on an antibiotic and he got better. We were very careful to only drink bottled water but we think we picked it up from drinking orange juice at a buffet.

Maybe locals in the US? Where the water is treated? No, here in Mexico no-one drinks the water except those too poor to afford agua purificada.

Our personal water is cenote water so it probably isn't contaminated (but it is salty) but the pipes and delivery methods in your house will definitely contaminate it.

I was thinking again of our experience in the Philippines (I know it isn't the country the OP went to) where my dd got really sick after eating the popsicle but her cousin (who is a local) did not. Many of the Filipinos use bottled water too but they still brush their teeth with the non-purified water, and cook with it, and wash produce with it etc. I think their guts have some resistance to the local bacteria.

tested with a stool sample for parasites and amoebas.

We never, ever, ever use the water here except for washing dishes (and we use a bleach/agua pura rinse) and showering and we still get parasites and amoebas from time to time. I would get dh tested as well eventhough he has light symptoms just to be sure. Make sure your doctor knows about the types of things to look for in the sample as my mom visted and was sick when she went home and her doctor missed the amoeba a couple of times.

It's a bummer to come back from a missions trip sick, but, I hope they had a great time while they were in Mexico.