Menu

Sadie, how is your DD?

MaryMak07

Oh, Sadie, I'm sorry. We are here for you.

I was recently reading a book called Parenting Your Teen With Intense Emotion (or something like tat) and one of the most helpful parts was talking about how we parents need to grieve that life will be a lot harder for our child (and ourselves) than we ever expected.

Try to focus on what you can control.

One step at a time.

• Like 2

I'm so sorry, Sadie. Is this diagnosis from the jerk who keeps talking over your daughter?  :mad:

I've been to a counselor twice in my life, I think. On my second visit, she oh-so-helpfully suggested that I get angry at my parents. What the heck? They are awesome parents. I didn't go back.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 4

I feel devastated by a turn of events re diagnosis. I can't share details.

I can't sleep for crying. All my friends are asleep, so there's no--one I can talk to except here right now. I just wish I could sleep and have a few hours of oblivion, at least.

Sadie, I'm heartbroken for you and yours. :(

((((Sadie)))) I hope you got some sleep and will be able to take care of yourself a bit too in all this. I am so sorry you are going through this and that she is going through what she is. I am glad, though, that she has you.

It seems to me that a parent who can honestly say, "I do have regrets and I'm sorry for my mistakes," is a precious thing. In some ways, it might be better than a parent who doesn't appear to make mistakes. Try to speak kindly to yourself.

Edited by Danestress
  • Like 2

:0(

The hits keep coming...blow after blow.  I'm so sorry.  It must feel like the world is spinning off its axis and you can't find your footing.  :0(

ASKING for anyone who can tell me: what is DSM/non-DSM? Sorry...maybe glad...to be ignorant.

The DSM is the diagnostic manual used by mental health professionals. It has all the currently recognized diagnoses and their respective symptoms. It gets revised on a regular basis and diagnoses get removed, refined or added every few years.

• Like 2

I'm so glad your sister is being helpful and supportive! That's a blessing!

Also, I don't know if this helps, but I was thinking that whatever diagnosis they give (or try to give) your daughter doesn't change who she is, you know? She's still the exact same child who you've raised and loved no matter what words are typed on a piece of paper.

That said, I know it can be scary and overwhelming to wonder how it will affect her moving forward.

I'm so sorry you're going through all this!

• Like 2

How bad of a mom would I be to insist to dd's care team that I am not willing to be her full time carer at home for longer than a month or so ?

How long do they expect her to need a full time carer?

It doesn't make you a bad mum any more than it makes her father a bad dad, or her grandparents bad grandparents. Even on the Carer's pension we're entitled to a certain amount of days off. 

How bad of a mom would I be to insist to dd's care team that I am not willing to be her full time carer at home for longer than a month or so ? I am thinking it's pretty bad...especially as that would probably mean, absent a miraculous recovery, a return to hospital...there is no one else who could step up to care for her full time.

But maybe it would impress on them that I need more support in dealing with dd's mental illnesses ?

I honestly feel there's no way to win with the hospital staff. In the end, dd is their patient and they only really care about her needs. The needs of her family are irrelevant, except as they serve the needs of dd.

I am feeling strongly protective of the needs of my other dd, and my ds.

Is there a way to get them to transfer care to another hospital? This one seems to be so incredibly difficult to work with.

• Like 1

I will ask if there is anything residential. I can't imagine there is., but you never know.

In our area, after acute care, there's an option to go to a residential place where the patients start taking over some of their own care like cooking and cleaning again. People are usually there for two or three weeks. Maybe there's something like that. I hope so.

I guess the solution is to say that I can't fulltime care take, so she needs to stay in hopsital until she is well enough to come home and do without it.

Can you get experienced advice anywhere else?

I worry that the hospital may be giving you an 'all or nothing' choice because they are under some kind of pressure (to keep paperwork down, discourage use of public resources, keep the hours down of hospital social workers or other employees who could assist you in accessing help, etc.)

Some hospitals provide help with making choices at a transition - like finding another placement or accessing government supported assistance at home.

I would not want to make this choice before I had all the information I could about options. I also would not want to say, "I can't," if that might start down a road I don't want to go down (for example, if they might recommend that you are not a suitable career and that a new guardian be appointed for her).

You are emotional and exhausted and should not have to make these decisions without talking to someone who is knowledgeable and who can help you advocate for yourself and your whole family.

Edited by Danestress
  • Like 1

Just piping up to cheer you on and to third the social worker contact. When we were in the transition phase with my dying dad, the social worker was the one who made things happen, who knew the options, who stood up for my dad AND my mom AND my sister and me and stopped the institutional / insurance bullying. She made ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the world. She was on a couple days vacation when things got going and were spiraling out of control for us but within two hours of her return, people were playing nice again.

I hope you find similar help.

I have close and very recent experience with adult mental health services not far from you, and I can confirm that post-discharge residential rehab is definitely a thing.

The social worker is your friend, here. Your DD might need to be assessed by an OT also, depending on the intake procedure for whichever rehab you're looking at.

Edited by Pegs
  • Like 3

Sadie, you're not a bad mother. You're being a good mother. You can't help anybody, least of all your daughter, if you don't take care of yourself first. Admitting it *before* things fall apart again is good. It's much better than having her home, trying to do it all, and failing.

• Like 10

Sadie, you're not a bad mother. You're being a good mother. You can't help anybody, least of all your daughter, if you don't take care of yourself first. Admitting it *before* things fall apart again is good. It's much better than having her home, trying to do it all, and failing.

Agree w/this so much!

• Like 1

Well, I guess getting at the truth is important for dealing with the future effectively in the long run, awful as it is at the time.  For me, finding out the full truth colours the past as well as the future, which I hate.  It makes it seem like the destruction is never going to stop.

I hope you can focus on your other children today (your tomorrow) and get that bit of a break.  I hope the weather is nice for you and you can get outside and try to move and breath a bit.  I freeze under stress and I find that forcing myself to walk helps me to cope with the stress. Another aspect of the fight/flight/freeze instinct.  If I stomp a bit on my walk, it is even better, I think because that feeds the fight part in a way that is acceptable to the rest of me.  You have to find some way of dissipating the physical part of stress if you are to survive.  You are the center of your universe, whether it feels like it or not (and as a mother, I am sure it doesn't), and sometimes just focusing on that for a bit will help the rest of you cope.  But you know that, I am sure, and have your own way of dealing with things.  I'm just reminding you, just in case...

I am so sorry, Sadie.  Lots of hugs,

Nan

• Like 4