Menu

Need math advice- what math after Saxon 8/7, Algebra ?

My 12 year old daughter is completing Saxon 8/7 this year.  It has been a struggle.  Math is not her subject (she is very language oriented/creative.)  However, she has done okay- just retaining all of the concepts introduced has been difficult.  

I am struggling with what Math to move to next year for 8th grade.  I *think* I want to stick with Saxon because it seems thorough, but I am open.  

I have toyed with the idea of going straight to Algebra 1, as the algebraic concepts seem to be more readily understood by her and it would give us ample time to move slowly through the book.  I could always move back to Pre-Algebra if needed.

Any advice?  Thanks!

If Saxon 8/7 has been a struggle, I wouldn't move her into Saxon Algebra 1.

It seems possible that the incremental teaching of new material is not her style. How about trying a different pre-Algebra such as MM or Derek Owens? I definitely wouldn't move young student ahead if she doesn't have a rock-solid foundation. But then I'm having my DD12 who DOES appear to have a good understanding of Algebra 1 repeat the course next year just to ensure mastery (and because we have plenty of time).

I agree, if Saxon isn't working well, I wouldn't go on to Algebra I in Saxon.  Running through Derek Owens pre-algebra might work better.  There are sample lessons you could look at.  Lessons can be self-paced and include a notebook for taking notes that makes the notetaking process fairly easy.  

https://www.derekowens.com/samples.php?page=PA

If she is shaky on Fractions, Percents and Decimals you might consider moving her through the Key to... notebooks for those topics over the summer to solidify those then start DO in the Fall.

I think that might be part of the issue- the incremental approach of Saxon seems confusing to her. What do you know about Derek Owens? Online classes might be a good thing to try!

I LOVE Derek Owens. We did the mom-graded, half-price option for Algebra 1 and Physical Science this year. He is a better teacher than I'll ever be and the homework and tests were all very clear and straight-forward. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions and you will find many threads discussing it. I think you can watch several of the pre-A videos on YouTube. You can find the syllabus and other info on his site.

Newer editions of Saxon 8/7 contain all the pre-algebra content necessary. If the incremental approach is confusing I would go for a solid text that teaches in a mastery-based approach. If you feel she might benefit from repetition you could go with a very algebraic pre-algebra such as lial's pre-algebra textbook -- that will still give her time to get four solid years of math in during HS. But if you feel she would become frustrated from repetition I'd look more towards a thorough algebra text with plenty of review. Fresh approach is one such or a CC text will usually have review for the just-in-case forgetters. 

Thanks- that is good to know about Saxon. So I signed up for Derek Owens pre-algebra this past weekend to try it out and like it is far. I am finding that the content he covers is content we already covered in Saxon 8/7- so that makes sense! I plan to go through his course over the summer to make sure she has a solid handle in it and then move to algebra 1 through him in the fall. So far it is much better already!

• Like 1

Just to let you know that my language oriented/creative daughter struggled with math below Algebra. We used Saxon and stuck with it. She now loves math, has no problems understanding. And is halfway through the Calculus book at the end of her junior year.