Menu

CLE Algebra 1 vs Dolciani?

Paige

I used Dolciani, maybe a 1990 version, with DS a few years ago, already have the answer key, and really like it. It's what I used to learn Algebra in school so it's familiar and easy for me. DDs will hopefully be ready for Algebra this summer or fall and I'm unsure if it will be a good fit. Math is not their friend, and they have liked CLE in the past. Can anyone compare the two?

I'm assuming CLE is still in workbook style which would seem friendlier to them, but I'm more concerned about the content and if it thoroughly prepares students for higher maths. They used it for 3rd-6th and I switched to MM preAlgebra/7th this year because CLE drove me crazy because I thought it was too simplistic and many of the word problems were borderline offensive. I don't want to do word problems about dead animals or that seem to be about "those poor, poor, poor people overseas." DDs don't care about that, though, and I'm willing to go back if it would make them more successful. 

Thoughts? I had planned to send them back to PS full time for 8th grade, but I'm 2nd guessing myself on that. Taking two classes at the school has worked out really well for us this year and I'm not super pleased with the admin and some of the things I see at the school. HS may be a better time to send them back full time. 

I can't really compare both terribly well but yes, CLE Algebra I is still in workbook format.  You might give the free CLE placement test right now and see if skipping CLE 700 and 800 would be a problem.  If they miss some you could get 801 and 901 to review prior concepts over the summer then just buy 902-903 to start out with in the fall and see how it goes.  If they like it and are doing well, great.  If they don't like it or you can't stand it, you haven't wasted a ton of time and can switch them to Dolciani.

If *you* -as a teacher- have the experience with Dolciani, I would go with that.  My one that struggles in math needed a course that I could teach and talk through with him.  A more hands off, self-teaching, program (TT, not CLE, but the DIY aspect can be similar) was a disaster for him.  YMMV, of course.

• Like 1

I can't really compare both terribly well but yes, CLE Algebra I is still in workbook format.  You might give the free CLE placement test right now and see if skipping CLE 700 and 800 would be a problem.  If they miss some you could get 801 and 901 to review prior concepts over the summer then just buy 902-903 to start out with in the fall and see how it goes.  If they like it and are doing well, great.  If they don't like it or you can't stand it, you haven't wasted a ton of time and can switch them to Dolciani.

901? I don't see the Algebra labeled that way. It starts with Unit 1, which is structured as a course start and just like Units 2 and beyond, not like a review unit. 

OP, I can only speak to CLE Algebra. always felt I needed to supplement the word problems in the lower levels of CLE (I used Singapore FAN Math Process Skills and Problem Solving). I was told the CLE Algebra word problems wouldn't need supplementing. I'm not far enough to have an opinion on that though.

Some of the Algebra 1 can be done in the workbooks, but other parts need to be done on paper. I bought graph paper tablets. It's great for lining up numbers and perfect for when you need to make a graph of course! 

It feels like a fast pace of concept introduction compared to the lower levels of CLE, though most so far has been review for my son. I still love the spiral for cementing and retaining concepts--I think it's a great way to teach math. 

I think I might be tempted to use something that aligned well with the school if you plan to send them to HS. 

Edited by sbgrace