Menu

2nd or 3rd grade school room layout?

PeterPan

I'm working on rearranging ds' office today, so I thought it would be fun to see pics of what other people are doing! Wanna share pictures of where your 2nd or 3rd grader does their school work? I know, I know, all over, lol. But you get my drift. 

I'm thinking of setting up some kind of writing area, with a low table and a computer, etc., so I'm particularly interested if anyone has done anything like that. :D

When my son was short, we had one of those adjustable tables that they use in preschool rooms with chairs to go with it (first a tiny chair, then a somewhat bigger one).  It worked great...for him.  I also worked with him there for lessons that required a table.  I sat in a chair designed for 8 year olds, which was a bit uncomfortable.

• Like 1

I use a spare bedroom as our school room. It has lots of closet space, whit shelving and a built-in along the window wall with a window seat, drawers, open shelving and two cupboards for each child's work. (I am extremely blessed with an awesome room!) My boys are 12 and 7. When the 7 yo was littler, he had a spot next to my chair with a kids desk and chair. Now they both work at the big table in the center of the room. His little desk is still there, holding my pile, a lamp and the pencil sharpener [emoji3]

They are both rather wiggly, so the lions share of work happens in the window seat, on the floor, or across the hall in their rooms. Computer stuff in s generally downstairs. And, I'll probably move a proper desk into the elder sons room over the summer so he can have a place to focus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am moving into a new house, and there is a downstairs office that will be our school room.  Planning to do a long 16 inch board across one whole wall for the kids work area (3 kids).  There will be shelves up above, a white board and a comfy chair and rug with floor cushions for group read alouds.  I will have my desk on the opposite wall.  I am so excited to have a dedicated room in this house!

• Like 1

We purchased an adjustable desk and child sized task chair for DD from Ikea, but she never uses the desk for school. She will occasionally craft at it but prefers the kitchen. The majority of P's work is completed at our farmhouse table in the kitchen. I sit directly across from her to hold her attention and monitor her progress. A 3 shelved bookcase sits near the table and contains her school books, manipulatives, and puzzles. I grab the supplies as we work and return them once we are done.

• Like 2

This year we'll have Kindergarten, 2nd/3rd grade, and 10th grade in our school room. 

We moved almost 2 years ago and turned the media room into a school room. The layout actually sucked as a media room, so we're building THAT in the basement (right now, actually), but works well as a school room. 

15138523_10154077830081824_367250042354215042285_10154077830216824_428466824390415069147_10154077830281824_638856326370515069037_10154077830366824_986509937481115069144_10154077830491824_9219568267706

• Like 1

Aimee, thanks for the pictures! And thanks to the others for sharing! I got it cleared out and rearranged yesterday evening. I'm going out tonight to look for some shelving to flank a table. Not sure I can get the table moved without some help.

I'm ending up with two parallel tables, one for independent work and writing and the other for together work. We have workers come in, so it's very important to have enough room for them to work and to store their things. Then I put a rug between the two parallel tables for a play area. Today ds and his worker had a hat party and made hats, ate snacks, and did most of their work there since I didn't have the table back in!