Menu

Is there a social skills curriculum for ASD kids?

Social Thinking vs. social skills

One uses concepts they apply, the other is a list. Then go to SocialThinking.com and read hundreds of articles for free, pursue their EXTREMELY WORTHWHILE conferences, and buy anything that calls to you. It's all good. Like all of it. Can't go wrong. :D

They have a pull down of recs by ages to get you started. :)

SaveSave

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

So glad you linked this! I had forgotten about it.

Deanna1ynne, you could also look at:

The Social Skills Picture Book Teaching play, emotion, and communication to children with autism by Jed Baker

https://www.amazon.com/Picture-Teaching-emotion-communication-children/dp/1885477910/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1495156414&sr=1-8&keywords=Social+story+book

ETA: O'Toole is an Aspie, herself!

Edited by Guest

The social thinking website is where you will find the most resources. A book I really enjoyed using with my son, that I am not sure it on the social thinking site is Make Social Learning Stick.

Actually they sell it! I picked up a copy at the conference two weeks ago. :)

Yes, Make it Stick will be a very good choice for a 7/8 yo! We had already done some of the things, but I still found enough value to want it.

A dc that age is a good candidate for We Thinkers, Social Detective, etc. They have listings and suggestions by age.

SaveSave

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

Social Thinking vs. social skills

One uses concepts they apply, the other is a list. Then go to SocialThinking.com and read hundreds of articles for free, pursue their EXTREMELY WORTHWHILE conferences, and buy anything that calls to you. It's all good. Like all of it. Can't go wrong. :D

They have a pull down of recs by ages to get you started. :)

SaveSave

The webpage is a little unclear: should Think Social come in between You are a social detective and Super Flex? Or are Super flex and Think Social both good options after you finish You are a social detective (for elementary age students)?

Think Social is a HUGE book with TONS of material. It was early materials they developed, and it's really targeted at older kids (4th and up). Your ds is 7. He could start very profitably with We Thinkers 1 and 2. Don't shoot over him. A simple concept, done very thoroughly and profoundly, can be very impactful. We Thinkers 2 is brand new and VERY sophisticated. It won't be too young for him. We Thinkers 1 will be faster but still useful, most likely. 

We're only starting Social Detective with my ds now, at 8.5, and Super Flex he doesn't even get. Don't rush. 

• Like 1

There are other things that will be useful. The Making it Stick book is perfect for that age. They have some games that are good. But yeah, I'd look at We Thinkers first.

Also look at going to any conferences. It will be rocket fuel for you.