Menu

What's with the ads?

WendyAndMilo

How do you organize your sheet music?

Curious...right now I have them organized by level, then by genre, each inside of it's own cardboard magazine holder.  But I have a lot of single sheets and non-book items that are getting lost among the big books.

In binders, divided by genre, alphabetized within each category, using a different binder for each (general) level. So, for example, my older DD's more advanced music is in one large binder with dividers labeled: Gospel, Country, Movie Scores, etc. The songs are arranged alphabetically by title within those categories. 

• Like 1

Binder. All "baby" music that will never be used again is gone, along with despised songs only used for lessons long ago.

If I had need for more than one level, I'd keep each level or a combo of 2 past levels together

Sections for general categories, alphabetized by title.

Also, a list in the front of the binder with titles and composers if relevant. I'd keep it simple and jphandwrite in notebook paper, unless you're really good at typing it out and updating frequently. Also noting if accompaniment for vocal scores is an instrument other than piano, such as guitar

But mostly SweetChild has it shoved on her school shelf O.o And somehow she manages to find what she needs and sound fabulous anyway

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 1

All "baby" music that will never be used again is gone, along with despised songs only used for lessons long ago.

Actually, my dd just started teaching violin and piano, and having those beginner books around has been really handy. She uses them with her teaching planning.

I'm glad that I didn't get organized enough to get rid of them. ;)

And some of those "despised" exercises, such as Schradieck or Wohlfahrt, are the best for technique. Those will never be tossed, no matter how much sweat and tears they caused.  :laugh:

• Like 1

can you put your single sheet music in a 1/2" or 1" notebook?  you can use dividers for genre, and page protectors if you don't want to punch a hole in them.

or you can use those plastic folders that have those winged metal things (the name of which escapes me . . . .)

• Like 1

I use a "punchless binder" like the one linked below one for each level - inside the binder they are organized by periods of music (baroque -> contemporary):

https://www.amazon.com/ACCO-Punchless-Spring-Action-0-625-Inch-42529/dp/B001E676TW

I got my punchless binders from Target. I can pull out any sheet that I want and put it back in when done.

Most of my sheet music are in books. So, there is not a whole lot of papers to file away.

I am not throwing any of the baby books and exercise books - I started learning many years after my DS and I used all his old books.

• Like 2