Menu

Easy Grammar, Growing with Grammar, Analytics Grammar or MCT?

poppy

Which grammar program would you pick for me?

I"m fairly relaxed but my daughter has requested more structure next year, so I want to add grammar 1-2 days a week.
She is  a voracious reader (audiobooks) with good comprehension skills.

But she is also stealth dyslexic and not an accelerated learner. 

I am not looking for a rigorous and challenging program. 

She does best with grade-level work that she can see she's progressing well with.

Age 9, will be starting 4th.

I own the earliest level of MCT, but, I'm not sure if it's the best fit.

I am tempted by Easy Grammar, I'm wondering if I could start at grade 4 or need to go to an earlier level.

And I've just heard of the other two options as well, Growing with Grammar and Analytical Grammar.

Any tips appreciated.

I am tempted by Easy Grammar, I'm wondering if I could start at grade 4 or need to go to an earlier level.

I haven't used all of the programs, so I can't compare them, but I can answer some Easy Grammar questions. First, I do think you would find that it would add some structure without being too rigorous and challenging. The first part does have the student memorize a list of prepositions first, and that can be challenging for a dyslexic student. I motivated mine by promising an ice cream trip as soon as they had 90% of them memorized, and we just practiced each day until they did. Once they know those, it makes breaking sentences into parts an easier task though, so it's definitely worth doing. 

You can start in 4th grade--EG is a spiral program, so it covers the same things each year, just goes a bit more in depth each time. You can also do it over more than one year, so if you don't finish a level in a year, just keep going with it. 

HTH some!

• Like 1

I wouldn't put that kid in Analytical Grammar, it's aimed at grades 6-8, but she could be a good fit for Junior Analytical Grammar. It's only an 11 week long course if done at the intended speed of five days a week. Working on it twice a week would stretch it out for most of the school year. There's a second JAG level called Mechanics you could do next year and then start AG in 6th.

• Like 1

We  use "First Language Lessons."  We're going through the second volume and find it perfect for our needs.  You only need a few minutes of drills each day, though you may find this extends naturally.  If your daughter wants more of a challenge, there are enrichment activities at the end of most, if not all, chapters.  There is a good balance of grammar rules and rills, picture analysis, poem recitation and reading comprehension.  It ties in nicely with WWE.