Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search
texasmom33

Chris Cornell died. :(

Oh wow. Black Hole Sun was the first alternative rock song I ever heard and influenced my musical tastes from there on out. I was so excited to hear Soundgarden was touring together again soon. Very sad indeed.

ETA: Soundgarden was supposed to be headlining this weekend for our big annual concert festival put on by a local alt rock station. :-(

Edited by BarbecueMom

Oh no!  

He started in Seattle in 1984.  I moved to Seattle for college in 1984.  

Edited by DawnM

I must be getting old because I have absolutely no idea who this is. Regardless, it sounds like a tragic loss.

Edited by Kinsa

I was just in the city yesterday and looking at a theater where I saw Soundgarden.  It was wild.  I lost a shoe and both earrings!

I was so sad to hear this news this morning.  Chris Cornell was such a talented musician and I grew up with his music.  I especially have a soft spot for his work with Temple of the Dog.

I cranked up his music many times back in the day. So tragic. :(

I cranked it up this morning. Audioslave was the best supergroup of all time. I wasn't a Soundgarden fan, but loved Temple of the Dog, Audioslave, and his solo stuff. What a voice.

Sad news. And to hear it's probably suicide when he was 3 kids under 12 is the worst.

One of the last great voices in rock and roll.

I must be getting old because I have absolutely no idea who this is. Regardless, it sounds like a tragic loss.

His band Soundgarden was mostly contemporary to Nirvana with Kurt Cobain is that helps with the time frame. They became big in the early 90s as I recall. So not too new but not classic either.

Chris Cornell had an amazing voice. I was a huge fan of Eddie Vedder, which led me to Temple of the Dog, which introduced me to him and to Soundgarden. He was the most talented of the Seattle grunge rockers, imo. I'm feeling so nostalgic today. I wish I kept up with my 90's friends still.

Dh woke me up to this news when he got home this morning. I had no idea who it was. We have different musical tastes. 

So young, was my thought...

I'm in the same boat.  However, the news has been all over my FB page because (I did not know this) he converted to Orthodox Christianity in 2011 or so.  (From what I gather.)  

Memory eternal.

In high school, a few of my friends and I drove to the mall. One of my guy friends said to me, "You have to buy this album, you won't regret it!" It was Soundgarden's album Superunknown. My friend was right, I loved that album. May his memory be eternal.

Edited by Iron Jenny Flint

Oh wow. Black Hole Sun was the first alternative rock song I ever heard and influenced my musical tastes from there on out. I was so excited to hear Soundgarden was touring together again soon. Very sad indeed.

ETA: Soundgarden was supposed to be headlining this weekend for our big annual concert festival put on by a local alt rock station. :-(

I think I annoyed my mom with how many times I played "Black Hole Sun". That an Epic by Faith No More.  Imagine having to hear What is it multiple times.  That's like when Scot Weiland died of Stone Temple Pilots fame.  I just kept thinking all these people from my child/teenhood years are going.  

It is sad I think that's how David Caradine died as well. 

Edited by happybeachbum

Apparently there is some speculation by his family that Ativan might have played a role. The whole thing is just tragic.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chris-cornells-wife-issues-statement-w483179

I find that an odd conclusion unless he has an usual reaction to Ativan.

Now if it was Ambien...I would believe it.

Now if it was Ambien...I would believe it.

There were studies in the 90's on it and similar drugs causing increases in self harm and/or suicidal thoughts in certain patient populations, so it's not that out there of speculation really, but who knows at this point. It's definitely not a harmless med though. 

There were studies in the 90's on it and similar drugs causing increases in self harm and/or suicidal thoughts in certain patient populations, so it's not that out there of speculation really, but who knows at this point. It's definitely not a harmless med though.

It appears this was not a new prescription for him. I think he already knew how he would react.

I do think it is possible that he took way more than an extra or two. It may have been part of his suicide plan. I just dont think it was the cause though it is always possible.

Possibly, but I don't think it's an odd conclusion for his wife to reach as she's trying to process the manner of his death and explain it. 

Possibly, but I don't think it's an odd conclusion for his wife to reach as she's trying to process the manner of his death and explain it.

I agree with you completely.