Menu

Transcript/Standardized Test Scores/Universities That Do Not Require Scores

Hello Everyone.  I have a minor dilemma concerning the home school transcript I developed for my high school children.  One of my kids are going to apply to several schools, including American University (Washington DC) that does not require Standardized Test Scores for admission.  However, I have a section on the transcript that shows a list of the tests was taken (e.g., SAT, ACT, Subject SAT, etc.), the date, and the composite score. 

Now, my question is, will there be an issue if we do not forward the official scores from the College Board, but submit a transcript to American University showing the list of the tests taken?

I do not want to take this section out of the transcript, but I am open to do it if there is going to be a potential problem with American University.  Your help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Have you confirmed that they do not require test scores from homeschoolers? Most test optional schools are not test optional for homeschoolers. American, for example, recommends additional testing for homeschoolers, 2 subject tests. If the test scores are strong, I would not apply test optional based on their homeschool applicant page.

I just read their test optional link. If you decide to go that route, yes, I think you need to remove the info. It will be sending conflicting messages and they will wonder why test optional when the scores are included bc they definitely have a include testing info option.

• Like 1

I agree with Hilltopmom's assessment.

If you have the scores on the transcript, you should send the College Board report. Otherwise, remove that section from the transcript. (But I think you should include scores for your homeschooled student.)

Have you confirmed that they do not require test scores from homeschoolers? Most test optional schools are not test optional for homeschoolers. American, for example, recommends additional testing for homeschoolers, 2 subject tests. If the test scores are strong, I would not apply test optional based on their homeschool applicant page.

I just read their test optional link. If you decide to go that route, yes, I think you need to remove the info. It will be sending conflicting messages and they will wonder why test optional when the scores are included bc they definitely have a include testing info option.

Eight's information above is correct.  My ds just finished his freshman year at American University and loves it. Both American and George Washington University were high on my son's list, so we submitted scores for his ACT, 3 Subject tests, and all of his AP exams. Do you have a compelling reason for not submitting test scores? Otherwise, I think I would roll with it and submit them

8FillTheHeart,

Thank you for your response. 

By the way, the additional testing is recommended, not required by American University.  On the other hand, George Washington University requires standardized testing from home schooled applicants.

Swimmermom3,

The reason why I considered not sending in scores is because my child will be completing an associate’s degree that was obtained via dual enrollment during the high school (home school) years.  In addition, my child obtained a perfect GPA and considered not sending in the scores for only this test-optional school (American University).  But as I mentioned above, I will talk to my child to send in all the scores, to all the schools.  Thanks for your input.

My first time wandering into the high school board...

I work in the admissions office at a private university. Can't speak for American but perhaps my experience might help anyway. My university recently went test optional a couple of years ago. We are easy on homeschoolers so it is optional for them too. 

There are lots of students who mark on their application that they will not be sending test scores, but then we receive them anyway, either because it is on their high school transcript, or because they put us down when they took the test so the scores got sent to us anyway. So what happens is, yeah, we still know what scores they got and so that is going to end up indirectly influencing our judgement with admission. But, because their data record is marked "opted out", the scores don't get factored in when their scholarship award is calculated. 

If they ask whether or not to submit, we usually say that if they scored at least as high as the average for our students, then they should submit. If not, then submitting might not hurt but won't really help either. You should contact American University admissions and ask them what their test scores averages are or if they have advice on whether or not to submit. 

I'd say if your student scored over 29 on ACT or 1300 on SAT then definitely submit. It can only help.

Also, regardless of whether or not your student has an associates degree, if he/she is graduating high school in 2017 then he/she is a first time college student with advanced standing, not a transfer student.

• Like 3