Menu

Any experience perming longer hair?

Ottakee

My 21dd (with special needs.....so doesn't always understand everything...think 8-10 at most) wants hair like her bio 1/2 sister.....tight ringlet curls.

Problem is she has mid back length straight hair.  Therefore, she wants a perm to give her curly hair.....SMALL curls, not just waves.....BUT NOT puffy curls.

Is this even possible?  What about if she got it cut closer to shoulder length?  I am SO not in this know with this.  The only perms I have ever given were the ones from the late 80s that were those tiny rods.

To top it off, she also wants STREAKS in her hair.....like very defined highlights.

Help a mom out here.  Can you get a perm and streaks on the same day?  Is this type of perm even possible?  

When I wanted hair like that (a LONG time ago) I ended up looking like a poodle. There are new techniques these days, maybe it will work?

I have put perm rods in my hair without perm solution when I was wanting temporary curls. They aren't very expensive and you could try the look out before spending the money on a perm.

• Like 3

Something like this? http://cdn.styleblazer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/eye-for-design-curly.jpg?x74375

or http://heli-rnd.com/5947_long_curly_brunette_hair_with_highlights/

If those styles are similar to what she wants, her mid back hair is going to look much shorter after her perm. Also the tight curls perm may become wavy after a few months depending on how permanent the perm is.

It is possible to get a perm and streaks in the hair on the same day. It would just be a long sit down session at a hair salon and quite expensive too.

I had a spiral perm when my hair was waist length.  It turned out the way it was supposed to look, but my hair takes curl extremely well and holds it forever.

I would definitely get it done at a good salon rather than try it at home (does anyone do home perms anymore?), but it will probably be expensive.  My hair is very thick, in addition to being very long at the time.  It took 5 boxes of solution and sets of curlers to do it.  Luckily my cousin is a beautician but even just paying for the solution was $$.

• Like 3

It takes someone who knows what they're doing. Spirals work best.

I paid a lot for one that lasted six months. Cheaper ones were uneven, and short lived. Even burned my hair.

I don't like what it does to my hair's texture.

I don't know about highlighting hair the same day as a perm but the tight curls won't stay tight for a long time.  I used to get spiral perms done when I was younger.  The curls will relax and the new growth will be straight so it will have to be redone every few months.

• Like 1

I've done it - very much money and time, I want to say that it was maybe $400 and about six hours for the perm? My hair was closer to waist length and very thick, so it took a surprising amount of time.

As long as I air dried it and scrunched with a diffuser and a light curl spray I could get great spirals, but my hair is fine (not very course strands) and naturally a bit curly in addition to being thick - this just made it more even and intentionally so. It might not work for poker straight hair.

The color processing will probably need to happen first and on a different day. Call a salon and explain what your daughter wants in detail and they should help you figure out a schedule and game plan :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

The idea of trying out the perm rods first is a good one.

Now she maybe wants to cut it shoulder length but no curls.....ugg, the perseveration on this is about to do me in.

If she's used to having long hair, shoulder length might be a real shock to her, and she might be very disappointed -- and it will take quite a while to grow it long again.

It sounds like she's looking for a change but doesn't really know what she wants, so I would try to delay her a bit to ensure that she is happy with whatever she decides to do.

I really like the idea of getting the spiral curl rods and showing her that she can try out the curls whenever she wants, but she doesn't have to deal with the growing-out process like she would if she decided to get the perm. Hopefully, trying out the curls will distract her a bit from wanting to get her hair cut right away.

She could also still get the highlights in her current-length hair and see if that's enough of a change for her.

• Like 1

So much at play here....she is cognitively impaired so her processing is not at a young adult level. She also wants the curls that her older bio sisters have....one is biracial and has beautiful curls. We will try the today first and see how she likes this.

• Like 1

Yes it is possible.  I had it done myself with hair almost to my butt.  I will say it is VERY VERY VERY expensive.  Even then I paid $150 plus tip.  That was before I graduated high school in 1992.  It also took 6 hours.

Some hair stylists have told me that some people's hair perms more easily than others.  So I suppose that's a factor.  But you won't really know that until you try it as far as I know.

I had long straight hair when I was younger and got it permed, and it did not last at all. My hair did not hold a curl well, and that seems to be a major factor in whether hair will hold a perm well.

This is a totally different direction, but what if you tried asking her about something like clip-in streaks? They're available in a lot of different colors, and are much cheaper, quicker, and less permanent than bleached/dyed highlights.

Good luck finding a solution you are both happy with!

My 21dd (with special needs.....so doesn't always understand everything...think 8-10 at most) wants hair like her bio 1/2 sister.....tight ringlet curls.

Problem is she has mid back length straight hair.  Therefore, she wants a perm to give her curly hair.....SMALL curls, not just waves.....BUT NOT puffy curls.

Is this even possible?  What about if she got it cut closer to shoulder length?  I am SO not in this know with this.  The only perms I have ever given were the ones from the late 80s that were those tiny rods.

To top it off, she also wants STREAKS in her hair.....like very defined highlights.

Help a mom out here.  Can you get a perm and streaks on the same day?  Is this type of perm even possible?  

Be advised:  Not all hair will take a perm.  I learned this the hard way when I was in college -- I went to a beauty school for a perm because I could afford their prices.  When my perm fell out within a couple of days they redid it, really hammering it into my hair.  They caused massive damage, basically fried my hair.  I could brush out my hair (which would take 45 minutes, far longer than before the perm), sit perfectly still for 5 minutes, and end up with a fist-size rat's nest tangle at the base of my skull that would take another 45 minutes to brush out.  I ended up spending far more time and money going to a recommended stylist to get periodic plasticizing treatments to help control the damage during the 2+ years it took to grow it all out.

That recommended stylist informed me that not all hair will take a perm, and my type of hair, VERY straight and not fine, usually would not.  I recommend that first you try other means to let your DD try out the look, and then if she REALLY wants the look shop around for a well-known and respected stylist with lots of experience, and have a very frank talk about whether your DD's hair would even accept a perm.  Do NOT accept anyone who says "oh, we can get a perm to take in ANY hair!"