Menu

Unusual graduation/diploma question

Please don't quote this post.

Oldest child J, is about to graduate in a couple of weeks. J was homeschooled for the entire education, until last year and half where J dual enrolled in local public school and took junior college classes through the h.s. as well as core and elective courses. J continued a couple homeschool courses during this time.

J has aced every course there with the highest gpa in the school.

J will be attending a homeschool grad ceremony commemorating all the years of homeschooling and the public school one as well.

The school seems to be offering to adopt J's homeschool transcript into the public school transcript record and offer a full public school diploma at the grad ceremony.

If this was offered to your child would your encourage taking this? Why or why not?

Btw, J is admitted at the college of J's choice for the fall. College has seen the public school and homeschool transcripts separately,

Thank you!!

X posted at college forum

Edited by TwoEdgedSword

I'd be willing to bet the school is offering this only to pad their own stats. I personally would not do it, but I can't think of a good reason not to other than the fact that they would be taking credit for all my hard work. (Lol)

The most important thing is to submit BOTH your transcript and the public school's transcript when applying to college, which you've already done. 

While I can't imagine any problems with having 2 diplomas -- both the high school and the home-awarded, yes, I *CAN* imagine a future potential glitch of saying to an employer or some other situation, "Yes, I finished high school at XYZ public high school, but no I don't have a diploma from them. Just a homeschool diploma." And the employer or whoever says:   :confused1:  "Too problematic for me. We pass on you."

As we say at our house: "Better to *have* it and not need it, than to *need* it and not have it." I don't see any reason why you wouldn't accept the school's diploma, say "thanks", award your own, and move on. :)

• Like 8

I'm fine with the diploma part. It's the adopting J's transcript as the public school one that seems strange and disingenuous.

How can the public school award a diploma unless the student has completed the required credits for graduation? That means running your homeschool credits through their process to standardize the credits and verify that they are acceptable for meeting the school's graduation requirements. Many school systems will only accept homeschool credits and count them on the student's final transcript if the student takes a qualifying test for each and every credit, so it sounds like they are making this an easy process for you of folding you into their system. Nothing strange or disingenuous about it -- it's really a very standard process.

• Like 4

This is how all brick & mortar schools handle transfers and new move-in's during high school. They look over the transcripts from the old high school, give credits for the classes that transfer, and then list it all on their own transcript. I attended 3 different high schools, and this is exactly how it was handled. The credits from my first and second high schools were both listed on the transcript for my third high school. I only sent a copy of that third transcript to colleges, because it showed all of my credits.

Basically, they are offering to treat your son as if he transferred from a brick & mortar school and to treat your homeschool as they would treat any accredited brick & mortar high school. It's a compliment. You can be cynical and say they only want to do it to take credit for your son's test scores. But it's also possible that after seeing your son's academic performance they feel you are an outstanding homeschooler and your son deserves credit for everything done at home. I would accept the diploma.

• Like 8

The most important thing is to submit BOTH your transcript and the public school's transcript when applying to college, which you've already done. 

While I can't imagine any problems with having 2 diplomas -- both the high school and the home-awarded, yes, I *CAN* imagine a future potential glitch of saying to an employer or some other situation, "Yes, I finished high school at XYZ public high school, but no I don't have a diploma from them. Just a homeschool diploma." And the employer or whoever says:   :confused1:  "Too problematic for me. We pass on you."

As we say at our house: "Better to *have* it and not need it, than to *need* it and not have it." I don't see any reason why you wouldn't accept the school's diploma, say "thanks", award your own, and move on. :)

My husband has run into a similar problem at a government job because he never went to HS -- just into the Young Scholars program at the University of Washington. When he says "No" on have you graduated high school. It seems to cause no end of problems. Even though he has 2 Bachelor's degrees and a Masters. If offered, I'd take the diploma. One less confusion in the future. (For my husband I've suggested he start saying Yes to that question and write the Scholars program name as the name of HS graduated from. Technically, he graduated HS when he got his first bachelors)