Menu

MP Second Form Latin--What Do I Need?

Just completed First Form Latin. I think for Second Form Latin, we're going to utilize the DVDs though.

Do I need the CDs AND the DVDs?

Is the teacher book really needed if I'm not "teaching" it? I'll get the answer key and quiz/test key!

The TM has information not in the other books, so I don't think you can do without it. It explains grammar further, gives the explanations about the sayings each week and the grammar of them. It gives a schedule of what to do for recitations. 

I think yes you still need CDs.  They don't teach the lesson. They give pronunciation practice without having to sit through the whole lesson on DVD.

The one thing you could do without is the flashcard set. Have the kids make their own.  

Also, this seems crazy, but you could probably do without the student text if you really needed to do without something to save money. My dd's student text has completely fallen apart. They aren't great quality books, and she is rough on books. Her latin texts have never made it to the end of a year. By the last few months of this year, she actually uses my TM as her text for working out of. It has all of the same info that the student text has. It is the exact picture of the student pages, but has additional info around the edges.  The student part is printed smaller than the text. This isn't ideal probably, but it is what happens here, lol. 

• Like 2

We got our student texts spiral bound and they last great.  Yes, the same info from the student text is in the TM.  Personally, I do not think the TM is needed (at least it wasn't needed for us, but I really loved learning Latin alongside my dc and just used the answer keys to help me figure out the right answer at times and work backwards from there to figure out what I did wrong.

Did not use the CD.

Would recommend two student workbooks (one for dc and one for you) and perhaps either two student texts or one being the TM if you so desired since the student text material is embedded into the TM.

Love, love, love the MP Form Series!

Brenda

• Like 2

Even if you are using the DVDs, you'll want to help the student do chants & review the grammar (questions in the back of the student worktext). I'd get the TM if you are going to be helping your son. If he's doing it all alone with just the DVDs, you probably don't need it. But, I would spring for it because while I'm cheap, I want it on hand to help explain the grammar stuff more in depth.

We, too, spiral bind the student text. It still doesn't hold up great - but the First Form one is being used by my third kid! We're pretty hard on books and it is still hanging together with a few pages close to coming out.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I don't really use the TM at all this year for First Form Latin. DS has done well with just the CDs and the student books. I use the Workbook/Test Answer Key but I really haven't used the TM much at all! 

I was trying to decide if I purchase the bundle or just pick out what I think we need. I guess buying the TM isn't that expensive! I don't think we need flashcards though--DS doesn't like them! I made him make flashcards for Latina Christiana but he never used them!

Hmm... Looks like everyone has something different that works for them! I appreciate the feedback!

• Like 1