Menu

Figuring gpa with half and quarter credits

I have been using a free gpa calculator website (gpacalculator.net) until now that has all the features I need, but evidently I have exceeded the maximum number of classes it will calculate at a time (20). I tried hand-calculating using the tips from Lori D. in the pinned post on this:

How to Calculate GPA:

1. first determine your grade point scale (weighted or unweighted)
2. each letter grade = amount of "grade points" from a grade point scale
3. add up the total number of "grade points" from ALL classes
4. divide by the TOTAL number of credits attempted" 

This seemed to work for the weighted grades but gives me greater than 4.0 on unweighted, which shouldn't happen, so I'm missing something somewhere and no longer trust I'm doing the weighted correctly. On the face of it, this shouldn't be that complicated!

Our situation includes regular, honors, and DE classes (weighted 0, 0.5, and 1.0), full credit, half credit, and quarter credit classes. The free online ones I've found all have some issue--won't handle quarter credits, wrong weighting scale, or can't handle enough grades at once. I know very little about Excel, so I haven't been able to set up a spreadsheet. I want weighted and unweighted.

Here's what I've done, according to the above info:

7 As at 5.0 = 35

8 As at 4.5 = 36

6 As at 4.0 = 24

2 Bs at 3.0 =6      for a total of 101

22.25 credits (includes 21 one-credit courses, 3 quarter credit classes--all As in DE-- and one half credit class--A, regular weight), so 101 / 22.25 =  4.54 weighted, which is higher than I expected even with all classes this semester being DE.

7+8+6+2 = 23 As at 4.0 = 92

2 Bs at 3.0 =6                            total 98

98/22.25 = 4.40, which can't happen with an unweighted 4.0 scale, particularly not with 2 Bs!

My guess is that I'm supposed to do something different with the quality points for the half and quarter credit classes, but what?

Her previous GPAs using the gpa calculator were 4.25 and 3.89, prior to the three full credit and one quarter credit DE classes this semester (As).

If someone could point me to an Excel spreadsheet or explain how it should be set up in Excel, my husband to help me do it, which would probably be ideal so that I don't run into the maximum entry issue again. Unfortunately, right now I don't know what to ask for.

You could have a column in Excel that has column with the weight of the course, a column that has the points for the course, and then a column that multiplies those two.  At the bottom of the sheet you would sum the first column and the third column.  Divide the third column's sum by the first column.

Some like

Weight    Points     Mutliplied

1             4.5           4.5

.5              4              2

.25            4              1

.25            4               1

2                                 8.5

Then divide 8.5 by 2 and you will have the GPA of 4.25

Edited by jdahlquist
  • Like 1

Multiply the numerical grade (4.0, 3.7, etc) by the number of credits for the class (1 for a yearlong class, 0.5 for a semester, 0.25 for a half semester).  Add the resulting numbers.  Divide by the total number of credits attempted.

Here's an example.  

English--Grade: 4.0, Credits: 1.0

Math--Grade: 3.3, Credits: 1.0

Botany--Grade: 2.0, Credits: 0.5

Marine Biology--Grade: 3.7, Credits: 0.5

PE--Grade: 4.0, Credits: 0.25

Total credits:  3.25

4.0 x 1.0 = 4.0

3.3 x 1.0 = 3.3

2.0 x 0.5 = 1.0

3.7 x 0.5 = 1.85

4.0 x 0.25 = 1.0

4.0 + 3.3 + 1.0 + 1.85 + 1.0 = 11.15

11.15/3.25 = 3.43

• Like 3

OK, it's an order of operations issue. I multiplied out each individual class, so the A in a quarter-credit college class was 1.25 and the A in the half-credit regular class was 2.0, all the rest were 3 (for a B regular), 4 (A regular), 4.5 (A honors), or 5 (A dual enrollment). I added all those together then divided by 22.25 and got a 4.34. That's reasonable. 

When I tried it for unweighted, A=4, B=3, half-credit A=2, quarter-credit A = 1, I have an unweighted of 3.91, which makes sense.

Thanks! I was feeling incredibly dense to have made As in calculus but being felled by arithmetic!

• Like 2

Argh! These instructions you quoted from a post of mine are missing the critical step of multiplying the amount of credit and grade points for EACH class before adding up the total! Can you point me to the thread this is in so I can fix it? Thanks so much!! Warmest regards, Lori D.

How to Calculate GPA:

**MISSED STEP: Multiply the grade points for each course by the amount of credit for each course

(a 1.0 credit course that earned an A (4.0 grade points) = 1.0 x 4.0 = 4.0 total grade points for that class)

(a 0.5 credit course that earned an A (4.0 grade points) = 0.5 x 4.0 = 2.0 total grade points for that class)

(a 1.0 credit course that earned an B (3.0 grade points) = 1.0 x 3.0 = 3.0 total grade points for that class)

(a 0.5 credit course that earned an B (3.0 grade points) = 0.5 x 3.0 = 1.50 total grade points for that class)

3. add up the total number of "grade points" (points for letter grade x amount of credit) from ALL classes

• Like 1

Argh! These instructions you quoted from a post of mine are missing the critical step of multiplying the amount of credit and grade points for EACH class before adding up the total! Can you point me to the thread this is in so I can fix it? Thanks so much!! Warmest regards, Lori D.

How to Calculate GPA:

**MISSED STEP: Multiply the grade points for each course by the amount of credit for each course

(a 1.0 credit course that earned an A (4.0 grade points) = 1.0 x 4.0 = 4.0 total grade points for that class)

(a 0.5 credit course that earned an A (4.0 grade points) = 0.5 x 4.0 = 2.0 total grade points for that class)

(a 1.0 credit course that earned an B (3.0 grade points) = 1.0 x 3.0 = 3.0 total grade points for that class)

(a 0.5 credit course that earned an B (3.0 grade points) = 0.5 x 3.0 = 1.50 total grade points for that class)

3. add up the total number of "grade points" (points for letter grade x amount of credit) from ALL classes

I got to it through the pinned thread http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/475909-transcripts-credits-ncaa-college-applications-first-time-at-college-scholarshipsfinancial-aid-career-explore-past-threads-linked-here/  under "Transcripts: Grading and GPA" and it was the first linked thread "Grading and GPA---post tips here, please." 

The individual thread was http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/475917-grading-and-gpa-post-tips-here-please/   second post.