Menu

Starting the home improvement process

Scarlett

We have made the decision to get a HELOC and get this work done.

I have the loan papers to fill out, Dh has contacted some good laborers that he trusts, and he and I will be sitting down this weekend to tweak our priority list and do all we can to be frugal while doing good work.

We are pretty excited. We are starting with the loft area where ds sleeps. AC, ( probably going portable) one new window, one new door, new carpet, finish the built in for the beds and build one closet.

After that on to the exterior. . New front door and porch. 4 new Windows. New siding and paint.

Then inside. Sheetrock repair and new tile and paint laundry room.

5 interior doors, new flooring, new trim.

New kitchen.

Back outside. Finish privacy fencing. Some retaining wall work near pool. Some simple landscaping.

• Like 15

Dh will direct the work but hire most of it done. We will use the boys some too....and pay them, but they are cheaper labor.

Our house is such an odd looking thing and we are hoping to give it some curb appeal. Is anyone here a designer that might have some ideas?

• Like 2

We did this about 3 years ago.  Unfortunately, some of the work was shotty and we are having to repair it, but we did get some good stuff done too.

And we are very close to paying off our HELOC.    Hoping that will be paid off by the Fall.

We have done a ton of work over the years.

What still needs to be done:

Finish deck around pool

some odds and ends with crown molding

wood repair from dogs on windows and one door frame

Some landscaping

I am hoping our house sells easily because of the location, but we will see.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2

I'm so jealous! We keep going back and forth about what to do with this house. One day I'm ready to go for it, the next I want to just live with it like this and save the money. Have fun!

• Like 1

Good luck! We have been working on our fixer upper too. Up next is the railing, sanding and painting the rest of the trim and closet doors. Then the upstairs will be 95% redone. With all to do is make a couple of cabinets and back panel to the peninsula.

Then we will move on to the basement. That needs insulation, electrical, egress, some framing and drywall. That will be in a year or 2. We need a break.

• Like 1

Dh will direct the work but hire most of it done. We will use the boys some too....and pay them, but they are cheaper labor.

Our house is such an odd looking thing and we are hoping to give it some curb appeal. Is anyone here a designer that might have some ideas?

You could post a picture here and we will give you ideas. Also, that home site is great for posting a picture and getting lots of advice.

• Like 3

Yes it will be fun to keep track of all the repairs...

How exciting!  I am always relieved when a big decision is behind me!

Mind if we join you? We're starting the loan process tomorrow.

Our plan:

Repair siding

New floors downstairs

New front door, plus a storm door

There is more, but these are the priority

We did this about 3 years ago.  Unfortunately, some of the work was shotty and we are having to repair it, but we did get some good stuff done too.

And we are very close to paying off our HELOC.    Hoping that will be paid off by the Fall.

We have done a ton of work over the years.

What still needs to be done:

Finish deck around pool

some odds and ends with crown molding

wood repair from dogs on windows and one door frame

Some landscaping

I am hoping our house sells easily because of the location, but we will see.

I'm so jealous! We keep going back and forth about what to do with this house. One day I'm ready to go for it, the next I want to just live with it like this and save the money. Have fun!

Good luck! We have been working on our fixer upper too. Up next is the railing, sanding and painting the rest of the trim and closet doors. Then the upstairs will be 95% redone. With all to do is make a couple of cabinets and back panel to the peninsula.

Then we will move on to the basement. That needs insulation, electrical, egress, some framing and drywall. That will be in a year or 2. We need a break.

When I was a kid, my uncle had an A-frame cabin--I always thought it was so, so cool, and wanted to live in one.  But it doesn't lend itself to conventional curb appeal makeovers...

So glad you've come to a decision on renovations/plan.

• Like 1

http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/MichelleYoung815/library/

See if this link works.

And be gentle with me. I know it is a weird house. Lol.

I love it!!  I love unusual houses and this looks like such a fun house.

I'm not good at gardening, but it does look a bit bare (probably partly because the trees are still bare).   

Are you planning to paint the house one color or keep the brown/beige of the A frame and the green for the extensions?.

• Like 1

I love it!! I love unusual houses and this looks like such a fun house.

I'm not good at gardening, but it does look a bit bare (probably partly because the trees are still bare).

Are you planning to paint the house one color or keep the brown/beige of the A frame and the green for the extensions?.

I have done zero landscaping ( and yes I think I took this pic before spring hit full) other than rip out a bunch of shrubs in font that were overgrown. I didn't want landscaping to be trampled by renovations....new siding, paint, Windows etc.

The house will be all green. A different green. That fake balcony will be gone. The two far right windows are new. The hideous paned French door front door will be gone. And the rest of the Windows to the left of that will be new to go with the ones on the far right. The loft window will be replaced with one that opens.

Unsure of trim color.

Mind if we join you? We're starting the loan process tomorrow.

Our plan:

Repair siding

New floors downstairs

New front door, plus a storm door

There is more, but these are the priority

How mich flooring do you need and what kind are you getting?

A lot of my down stairs still needs flooring. Probably 1000 to 1200 SF. Kitchen, eating area, den, living room and two hall ways all of which open to each other. No natural dividing lines at all.

In our downstairs bedrooms we put a dark walnut color laminate 'wood' floor. Both down stairs bathrooms have new tile. And the laundry room will have tile. Everything else needs to be done and as I said flows into itself.

• Like 1

My other dilemma is the front porch. Dh says all of the concrete foundation will be covered with new dirt/ grass and then of course we will do some landscaping, but I know it will be simple bcause I don't like a lot near the house. In fact probably no beds touching the house, maybe some a lawn mowers width from the house. I thought a simple small porch the width of the door and a roof that mom's the a frame might be ok. Dh says a concrete pad type porch.

What was there before was a huge deck....which would be weird to me. The last owner ripped it all off and took it with him.

Have you ever seen the HGTV show called Vacation House for Free? Given the fact that this is a lake house, I think it would be fun to look at some of this designer's ideas. I saw him speak at a home show and one of the remodels he did was an A-frame structure. He talked about doing things that play up the features of a home and give it personality that would make weekly resort renters want to rent your property. i know you want to sell, not rent, but if there's a possibility that this will be a second weekend/fun home for a prospective buyer, some of his memorable ideas may catch shoppers' eyes.

Eta link

http://www.hgtv.com/shows/vacation-house-for-free

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 2

And to the left of the door all the way to the left new Windows.

What kind of porch? I will upload a picture of the able door we have in mind.

How about an open deck with some adirondak chairs and lush potted plants? That would look nice, be cost efficient (no roof or railing) and bonus, you can take the chairs and plants with you when you go.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5a/54/cd/5a54cdf199a05e62e2392a654a1fcaac.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/35/ef/16/35ef168bda17737fa83a5a3c09785f2a.jpg

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

How about an open deck with some adirondak chairs and lush potted plants? That would look nice, be cost efficient (no roof or railing) and bonus, you can take the chairs and plants with you when you go.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5a/54/cd/5a54cdf199a05e62e2392a654a1fcaac.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/35/ef/16/35ef168bda17737fa83a5a3c09785f2a.jpg

I love those decks but they don't seem 'front porch' to me.

Edited by Scarlett

I love those decks but they don't seem 'front porch' to me.

I know what you mean. I like a good deep covered low country southern style porch myself! I was just trying to think of something that would both look nice and be economical, considering you aren't staying. I mean, you don't really have to do it according to your own preferences, you just need to spiff it up to get it sold.

• Like 1

Oooh - I really like it! And I agree with playing up the features. It's pretty ... aggressively A-frame (in a really beautiful way), and I think any effort to downplay that would not really be successful. I think vertical siding in a darker color for the central triangle, then maybe a horizontal siding in a lighter version of the same color for the parts on each side could look really cool. Or maybe wood shingles/shakes for the triangle, then horizontal siding for the parts on the sides?

I could see something like this with a concrete front porch, then wide edges that also double as seating https://www.pinterest.com/pin/563020390895407381/ (ignore the grill - it's not very front-porchy)

• Like 1

Oooh, I like how the top of this roof projects out http://www.alpinemodern.com/whistler-a-frame-cabin/ (4th picture), although I would run roofing material parallel to the top ridge. I think the house in that link they were dealing with challenging grading. It could give coverage to the front porch, without an added-on structure.

Though that seems like it could be a pretty expensive project ... it's so easy spending money I don't have  :laugh:

• Like 1

Oooh - I really like it! And I agree with playing up the features. It's pretty ... aggressively A-frame (in a really beautiful way), and I think any effort to downplay that would not really be successful. I think vertical siding in a darker color for the central triangle, then maybe a horizontal siding in a lighter version of the same color for the parts on each side could look really cool. Or maybe wood shingles/shakes for the triangle, then horizontal siding for the parts on the sides?

I could see something like this with a concrete front porch, then wide edges that also double as seating https://www.pinterest.com/pin/563020390895407381/ (ignore the grill - it's not very front-porchy)

I put a new pic on my photo bucket that shows a simple porch but even that one is too bulky.

The one you linked seems still too much like a deck..,and the overhang is created by the actual roof which I don't have.

Oooh, I like how the top of this roof projects out http://www.alpinemodern.com/whistler-a-frame-cabin/ (4th picture), although I would run roofing material parallel to the top ridge. I think the house in that link they were dealing with challenging grading. It could give coverage to the front porch, without an added-on structure.

Though that seems like it could be a pretty expensive project ... it's so easy spending money I don't have :laugh:

Ha....yes that looks cool but waaaay too expensive. Our roof is new and we won't mess with it. This has to be a seperate simple cover for a small porch. I am thinking more of a modern sleeker look which sounds counterintuitive for an A frame but this is not the typical A frame.

• Like 1

Oh you bring out a good point. We thought of doing dark brown shake on the top part of the triangle...green on the bottom part and on the rest of it.

And possibly some dark brown trim somewhere else....maybe shutters near the Windows.

Anyone have an opinion on that?

• Like 1

I think the sleek idea is right. I like the windows you have on the right and I think the idea to replace the others with ones that match that simple style and remove the balcony and french doors is great. That architecture is going to shine whether you want it to or not, and sleek, clean windows/doors/landscaping/etc. will keep things from getting too busy. 

If you don't mind me asking, what's the reason for adding a covering to the porch?

I'm having a hard time picturing (and finding pictures) of an A frame with a covered porch that's not a deck or deck-like. I like this one that has a porch roof right under the main roof, but it's also very deck-y (and large and probably expensive). http://moresunwoodworking.com/porches-decks-entrances/#bwg13/370

• Like 1

Oh you bring out a good point. We thought of doing dark brown shake on the top part of the triangle...green on the bottom part and on the rest of it.

And possibly some dark brown trim somewhere else....maybe shutters near the Windows.

Anyone have an opinion on that?

Replying at the same time. What about making the top and bottom of the triangle the same color/finish, then a secondary color/finish for the side extensions?

• Like 1

I think the sleek idea is right. I like the windows you have on the right and I think the idea to replace the others with ones that match that simple style and remove the balcony and french doors is great. That architecture is going to shine whether you want it to or not, and sleek, clean windows/doors/landscaping/etc. will keep things from getting too busy.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the reason for adding a covering to the porch?

I'm having a hard time picturing (and finding pictures) of an A frame with a covered porch that's not a deck or deck-like. I like this one that has a porch roof right under the main roof, but it's also very deck-y (and large and probably expensive). http://moresunwoodworking.com/porches-decks-entrances/#bwg13/370

I think you are on to something....just forget the covering. Have a simple pad type area in front of the new door and for get the covering which I feel will take away from the overlook of the dramatic A frame.

• Like 1

I think you are on to something....just forget the covering. Have a simple pad type area in front of the new door and for get the covering which I feel will take away from the overlook of the dramatic A frame.

http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/MichelleYoung815/library/?sort=3&page=1

Here is the door I have in mind.....not black though. But a simple door with side lights that Dh can build will fill that space where the French doors are and keep Dh from having to re do the interior......

I am thinking brown shake up top, green on the rest of the house and a dark brown door like the one I linked.

• Like 1

Yes! Be proud of that unique architecture!

• Like 1

Have you ever seen the HGTV show called Vacation House for Free? Given the fact that this is a lake house, I think it would be fun to look at some of this designer's ideas. I saw him speak at a home show and one of the remodels he did was an A-frame structure. He talked about doing things that play up the features of a home and give it personality that would make weekly resort renters want to rent your property. i know you want to sell, not rent, but if there's a possibility that this will be a second weekend/fun home for a prospective buyer, some of his memorable ideas may catch shoppers' eyes.

Eta link

http://www.hgtv.com/shows/vacation-house-for-free

I will go watch a few of those. Our back yard is big and has a nice big in ground pool. The loft area is roughly 400 SF and we are putting two full size beds up there with build in drawers under neath and a twin bed with build ins at the far end tucked in the slanted wall. That will be a big selling point for anyone who wants a lake house because it will sleep a lot....two more bedrooms down stairs with a very large living room and den on both sides of the kitchen. We have a futon there that sleeps two easily.....

And for a regular family it would still accomdate a lot of kids even if they want the house for every day house.

• Like 2

Our downstairs is about 1800 Sq feet, we're doing the entire floor with pergo. If we have enough I want to do the stairs as well.

I'm not sure on the color. I'm not good at decorating.

Ok what do you mean by pergo? Do you have a picture?

http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/MichelleYoung815/library/?sort=3&page=1

Here is the door I have in mind.....not black though. But a simple door with side lights that Dh can build will fill that space where the French doors are and keep Dh from having to re do the interior......

I am thinking brown shake up top, green on the rest of the house and a dark brown door like the one I linked.

The beadboard especially reads as kind of farmhouse to me. Does that fit in with the interior of your house? Based on just the front of the house, I'd consider sidelights with no muntins/grilles, and maybe that door above with just the round top, not bead board.

Something with a more simple panel profile (shaker vs. recessed) might fit in with the exterior, and still be kind of traditional https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fnewenergyworks.com%2Fmedia%2Fuploads%2Fgalleries%2Fnww_doors%2Fala_jarrah_door.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fnewenergyworks.com%2Ffine-woodworking%2Fdoors%2Fexterior-wood-doors-gallery&docid=y-9iLvp6pjj0gM&tbnid=GG-FlVWwkaVY7M%3A&vet=10ahUKEwiVqc_XuvfTAhWljFQKHb01A28QMwiUASgmMCY..i&w=837&h=630&bih=698&biw=1182&q=a%20frame%20exterior%20door&ved=0ahUKEwiVqc_XuvfTAhWljFQKHb01A28QMwiUASgmMCY&iact=mrc&uact=8

I also think you could go full mid-century modern 

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fgooponz.net%2Fu%2Fi%2F2016%2F12%2Fmodernerior-front-doors-double-entrance-doorsmodern-cheap-door-home-depot-mid-century.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fgooponz.net%2F96-unforgettable-modern-exterior-front-doors-photos-inspirations%2Fsecond-floor-modern-house-entrance-design-with-white-iron-stairs-f%2F&docid=QFzbKaV7kaGurM&tbnid=SEydKaLySJ8-CM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjD5taruvfTAhWqhVQKHZp4C9s4ZBAzCB4oHDAc..i&w=2448&h=3264&bih=698&biw=1182&q=mid%20century%20modern%20exterior%20door&ved=0ahUKEwjD5taruvfTAhWqhVQKHZp4C9s4ZBAzCB4oHDAc&iact=mrc&uact=8

or 

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcentury.eldonwalls.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F12%2Fmid-century-modern-exterior-doors-for-sale.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcentury.eldonwalls.com%2Fcontemporary-mid-century-modern-exterior-doors%2Fmid-century-modern-exterior-doors-design-ideas%2F&docid=RT7kXe8R_BCzYM&tbnid=ItAQxqi72olBJM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjqvOzPyvfTAhWmgFQKHYU0AkoQMwjhAShGMEY..i&w=1000&h=744&bih=698&biw=1182&q=mid%20century%20modern%20exterior%20door&ved=0ahUKEwjqvOzPyvfTAhWmgFQKHYU0AkoQMwjhAShGMEY&iact=mrc&uact=8

The bright color is probably not necessary in your case. 

Ok what do you mean by pergo? Do you have a picture?

Pergo is a brand name for a laminate and it comes in a lot of different finishes. https://na.pergo.com/laminate-flooring  We actually just installed some in our second floor (Haley Oak). We haven't moved into that space yet, so I don't have any firsthand experience with it holding up, but it gets great reviews.

For the flooring, do you like the dark walnut laminate you put in the bedrooms? Would you want to continue that throughout the first floor - some consistency, especially considering how it all flows together. 

I will go watch a few of those. Our back yard is big and has a nice big in ground pool. The loft area is roughly 400 SF and we are putting two full size beds up there with build in drawers under neath and a twin bed with build ins at the far end tucked in the slanted wall. That will be a big selling point for anyone who wants a lake house because it will sleep a lot....two more bedrooms down stairs with a very large living room and den on both sides of the kitchen. We have a futon there that sleeps two easily.....

And for a regular family it would still accomdate a lot of kids even if they want the house for every day house.

It sounds like your house is awesome and y'all are making some great improvements!

edited to fix link formatting

Edited by williams6039

What do you guys think about doing away with that window just to the left of the doo and center a new front door in that space?

Would it make that space too dark? You'd be going from the window + French doors to sidelights and possibly solid door. Would that also increase the scope of work, requiring framing and drywall on the interior? I think changing the window style to something much more simple, plus changing the French doors for the sidelights/single single door would be nice enough, and maybe more cost efficient. But I would try to get the windows for the triangle - both the high window and the one beside the door - in brown or black (more on that below).

You guys have already given me such good ideas.

Overall, just sleeker.

No cover for the simple step pad porch.

What color trim around my new Windows? They will all be white like the ones on the right side.

For the trim, I'm having a hard time seeing the brown that you suggested above on the whole house. I think part of it is that I see the large triangle (both top and bottom) as the focal point of the exterior, so I think they should both be the same color, with the two side extensions a separate color. Splitting that triangle into two colors feels disjointed to me - like a brown triangle plonked onto a green ranch.

Within the triangle with it's wood shakes, I'd do a brown trim that blends in with the shakes, with black or brown windows. And I think the front door could look really nice in a light natural wood tone - some contrast with the rest of the house, but not super loud or bold.

For the the green sections, I think white trim like you have now would look nice? What kind of green are you planning on?

Can we talk about how much easier it is to sort out someone else's renovation?  :lol:

I had some exterior decisions to make for my house - though the front is much more plain, vanilla - and I just obsessed over and agonized about and waffled on every decision related to it ...

Would it make that space too dark? You'd be going from the window + French doors to sidelights and possibly solid door. Would that also increase the scope of work, requiring framing and drywall on the interior? I think changing the window style to something much more simple, plus changing the French doors for the sidelights/single single door would be nice enough, and maybe more cost efficient. But I would try to get the windows for the triangle - both the high window and the one beside the door - in brown or black (more on that below).

For the trim, I'm having a hard time seeing the brown that you suggested above on the whole house. I think part of it is that I see the large triangle (both top and bottom) as the focal point of the exterior, so I think they should both be the same color, with the two side extensions a separate color. Splitting that triangle into two colors feels disjointed to me - like a brown triangle plonked onto a green ranch.

Within the triangle with it's wood shakes, I'd do a brown trim that blends in with the shakes, with black or brown windows. And I think the front door could look really nice in a light natural wood tone - some contrast with the rest of the house, but not super loud or bold.

For the the green sections, I think white trim like you have now would look nice? What kind of green are you planning on?

If I take out the window by the door, the new front door and side lights would need to be less solid, more glass. I hate that window...not just the panes, but the shape and the placement. It looks like a Lego creation gone bad. As far as interior work I will ask Dh but since the window will be replace anyway and require interior finish work, and same thing with the door...it might not be that much difficult to just resheet rock that wall. I just hate that part of the A frame. I want it to be symmetrical. Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

Wait.....so put a brown window up top ? Even if the others on the rest of the house are white?

If I do all brown siding or shake or what really for the A frame part it feels like I need something down on the green sides to pull it all together.