Menu

If you buy...

Noreen Claire

If you buy/sell local, pasture-raised, organically-fed, whole chickens (Cornish roasters, to be exact) from a local farm, about how much do you pay/charge per pound?

I would like to start buying from local farms more often (chicken, beef, pork - we already have local milk delivery) but I'm not sure if I can justify the expense. Thanks!

We've raised meat birds and sold them in small amounts.  When I checked for local prices, $3/lb was the best deal I could find so that's what we sold ours for.  I think that's pretty expensive, but we were able to sell all of ours.  To be quite honest, I wouldn't pay that much.  I don't think it's worth it.  Why do you want to do it?

• Like 1

We are close to $6. I buy 1/4 pastured cow and pig but I can't afford the chickens. It's crazy! We are thinking of just growing our own.

Have you considered raising meat rabbits? So much easier than chickens. We use rabbit instead of chicken because the taste is similar enough. (Though rabbot tastes better imo)

• Like 1

Honestly if you're wanting to buy local,  I would concentrate on "organic" less and "local, pasture raised" more. You have to jump through a lot of hoops to truly be considered an organic outfit and a lot of people don't want to deal with it on the certification. Here it's in the $5-6 per pound for a certified bird last I checked. But with the price of the feed and everything else, they can command it. Organic feed is much more expensive, and feed prices vary by locality. 

We raise our own chickens and although at first I wanted to be all about the "organic" it just wasn't worth it. I'm with mom@shiloh- it's just too pricey and no one want to pay that long term. Plus, when you're buying chicken fed organic feed made from Purina Mills, does organic give you the same feeling that you thought it would......ifywim? 

Honestly if you're wanting to buy local,  I would concentrate on "organic" less and "local, pasture raised" more. You have to jump through a lot of hoops to truly be considered an organic outfit and a lot of people don't want to deal with it on the certification. Here it's in the $5-6 per pound for a certified bird last I checked. But with the price of the feed and everything else, they can command it. Organic feed is much more expensive, and feed prices vary by locality. 

We raise our own chickens and although at first I wanted to be all about the "organic" it just wasn't worth it. I'm with mom@shiloh- it's just too pricey and no one want to pay that long term. Plus, when you're buying chicken fed organic feed made from Purina Mills, does organic give you the same feeling that you thought it would......ifywim? 

These chickens aren't organic, just 'organically-fed". This was just the first place that I found semi-local. I'm going to keep looking. Thanks!

Have you considered raising meat rabbits? So much easier than chickens. We use rabbit instead of chicken because the taste is similar enough. (Though rabbot tastes better imo)

Interesting, I hadn't thought about it. We have laying hens, and they are pretty easy, so we assumed the roasters would be as well (just need to construct a chicken tractor). Plus they only live 8-10 weeks, right?

We have gobs of rabbits on our property. Open up a door or drive up the driveway and they scatter everywhere! Where do you purchase rabbits from for raising?

Interesting, I hadn't thought about it. We have laying hens, and they are pretty easy, so we assumed the roasters would be as well (just need to construct a chicken tractor). Plus they only live 8-10 weeks, right?

We have gobs of rabbits on our property. Open up a door or drive up the driveway and they scatter everywhere! Where do you purchase rabbits from for raising?

You can look online.  4H clubs will often have contacts for you.  We actually got ours off a homeschool site.  As with chickens you have the initial investment for equipment.  We started with a three hole hutch and got 2 does and 1 buck.  We got New Zealands to start with and have added Californians.  They are super low maintenance - especially if you make the rabbit watering system detailed here.  Its a fun project with kids and fyi - flex seal spray is your friend.  lol.

http://theadventurebite.com/rabbit-watering-system/

Rabbits are quiet and their poop doesnt smell as much as chicken manure. And you can throw it right in the garden. Plus they are easier to keep safe.  We have lots of predators and struggle to keep the chickens safe.  We have way fewer issues with the rabbits.  

These are two good sites to get you started.

https://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/10/21/what-breed-of-rabbit-to-raise-for-meat/

http://www.raising-rabbits.com/

We raised them once, not organic, and it cost us $1.80/lb. Organic feed is expensive, and they eat a lot. For the farmer to make a reasonable profit they'd probably need to charge at least $4.50-$5.00/lb.

Love my layers. Roasters were a horrible experience, and I'll never do it again.

Edited by Amy in NH

Just some information to include on this thread for anyone considering raising meat birds.....

We didn't buy organic feed.  I calculated that it cost us about $7/bird to raise our birds.  We do the butchering ourselves, but if you don't, you will probably need to add $2-3/bird for butchering.  That's just the basic cost of the birds, not including any payment for our labor.  We keep our birds 10-11 weeks and they run between 9-12 pounds each.  There's a lot of meat on them and they are delicious, but I can't honestly say they taste much better than the stuff I buy at the store.  They do have more meat on them than a store bought chicken, so one bird will feed my family of 7 at least twice.

• Like 2

My husband and I looked into doing this but found it wasn't cost effective for us.  I'm not going to do butchering myself so would have to pay someone to do it and I can buy organic pastured chicken cheaper than we could raise them.  We do our own beef cattle and have had laying chickens before,though not currently.  We can raise the beef cheaper than the chickens.

Kimberly

Around here it's $5-7/lb. Organic feed is expensive here. We do organic layers and the feed is twice as much as non-organic. We'd need to charge $6 per dozen to make anything for selling those and neighbors are selling them for $7/dozen. We are going to be starting meat birds and DH is considering doing non-organic feed for them. I'm co spidering starting to grow and mix our own feed.

These chickens aren't organic, just 'organically-fed". This was just the first place that I found semi-local. I'm going to keep looking. Thanks!

Sorry- I was referring to the feed!! All chickens are organic. ;) But there are some questionable things on organic feeds. I actually stopped using it across the board for all of our critters.

Edited by texasmom33