Menu

menstrual cups after many babies - do giant models exist

rose

Good evening hive,

The undies thread got me thinking. This isn't a need that I have right now but you got me going on a bunny trail. Years ago I bought a size 2 diva cup and loved it. Then I had my first vaginal birth and everything went down hill. Now I'm gearing up for my 6th vaginal birth and I'm figuring that I'll never be able to use a cup again. When I've tried it it just falls right out. Does anyone know if a giant version exists? Have any of you had this trouble? From what I've googled it seems that the diva size 2 is just about as big as the get but maybe one of the other big ones works better for some reason.

Edited by Rose M

If it is falling out it sounds like you aren't getting good suction going. I've had a million children and my cup, which is narrower than the diva, still fits great.

When you put it in (I like the 7 fold method) and push it up, do you run your finger around the rim to confirm it is seated properly? Do a few kegels and give it a spin? The kegels are especially crucial for me, they really suck it in there good :)

The bottom of my cup does sit low because I have a partial prolapse, but it shouldn't be easy to remove without significant bearing down and the cup being fairly full. That makes me think it is an application issue and not the device.

Now, another option is a cup like Instead, which are a different shape altogether. But they're also disposable.

https://www.amazon.com/Instead-Softcups-Feminine-Protection-Count/dp/B000X29GY6

Look at other brands.  I have a Blossom cup that is quite large, but I believe there are larger ones.  I remember seeing a chart that compared features of at least a dozen different cups.  That was a year ago, but I might be able to find it again.  If I do, I'll post it here.  In the meantime, try googling menstrual cup comparison, or something like that.  Maybe you'll find it before me.

Agreeing with Arctic Mom. I've only had half a million children (5) and mine has never fallen out. You have to make sure the end of the cervix is in the cup and the cup is suctioned on. You should have to break the suction to remove it.

• Like 1

Now, another option is a cup like Instead, which are a different shape altogether. But they're also disposable.

https://www.amazon.com/Instead-Softcups-Feminine-Protection-Count/dp/B000X29GY6

While they're technically single use, many people do reuse them. I'm sure you couldn't get years out of a single cup, but I've never had any issues with reusing one for a single cycle. They also make (made? They changed ownership and the website isn't super informative) a version that is intended to be reusable through a whole cycle - I think it's just a little more sturdy.

I tried these before having kids, and had some problems with them, both in terms of discomfort and leakage. Now they're great.

While they're technically single use, many people do reuse them. I'm sure you couldn't get years out of a single cup, but I've never had any issues with reusing one for a single cycle. They also make (made? They changed ownership and the website isn't super informative) a version that is intended to be reusable through a whole cycle - I think it's just a little more sturdy.

I tried these before having kids, and had some problems with them, both in terms of discomfort and leakage. Now they're great.

Yeah I'm pretty sure when I tried them as a teen I used it for almost all my cycle :o