Menu

shampoo for gray hair?

HollyDay

I got my haircut today and the stylist used a purple shampoo for gray hair.  She said they were out of it on the shelf, but I might want to consider getting some soon and using it occasionally for my graying hair.  What!!!!???

I was also shocked when she pulled the hair up to cut the ends....The lower half of my hair is my nice golden brown color.  The top half is gray!!!  There is a big color difference!!!!  It blends in alright.  She showed me how nice it all looks combed out.  But really??!!  Half gray and half natural color??

So, what are some good shampoos for gray hair?  I was so distracted by the whole thing I didn't pay any attention when she mentioned brands. 

AND....if anyone saw my earlier post about "bookshelves"  then you know it has been quite a week!

• Like 2

It's good really. Celebrate instead of hiding.

It's not good.  I have almost no gray hair.  You know those side burn wispy hairs?  Except I have very thick ones because I have a lot of hair, that's the only part of my  hair that is gray.  So it just looks stupid. 

If I had mostly gray hair that would be one thing.  It's not like that.

And it's probably my one area of vanity.  I don't wear makeup.  Don't wears girly clothing.  No heals.  No nothin.  But I have good hair. 

I have never seen that!

I only have a little bit of gray, so I tell myself they're platinum highlights.

A little self-delusion can be a good thing. :)

• Like 6

It's not good. I have almost no gray hair. You know those side burn wispy hairs? Except I have very thick ones because I have a lot of hair, that's the only part of my hair that is gray. So it just looks stupid.

If I had mostly gray hair that would be one thing. It's not like that.

And it's probably my one area of vanity. I don't wear makeup. Don't wears girly clothing. No heals. No nothin. But I have good hair.

Mine was all grey underneath and brown on top, so it looked like bad dying. I had it cut short so that the grey could shine. It's still good hair.

• Like 5

I have this. Yours truly has gone pretty much silvery since going this forum (and yes, I blame you people :p)

Sometime back Mrs Spy Car, at the instigation of our hair cutter, picked up some Matrix "So Silver" purple shampoo.

At first, I resisted. But when I finally broke down and gave it a shot? Awesome!

it cuts whatever yellowing might be in one's hair and really brings out a shimmering silver.

My one and only "beauty tip," but it is a good one.

Bill (silver-fox :D)

• Like 17

I have this. Yours truly has gone pretty much silvery since going this forum (and yes, I blame you people :p)

Sometime back Mrs Spy Car, at the instigation of our hair cutter, picked up some Matrix "So Silver" purple shampoo.

At first, I resisted. But when I finally broke down and gave it a shot? Awesome!

it cuts whatever yellowing might be in one's hair and really brings out a shimmering silver.

My one and only "beauty tip," but it is a good one.

Bill (silver-fox :D)

I remember you mentioned this a few weeks ago.  As soon as I saw the thread title, I was going to post:  "Ask Spy Car."   :lol:

• Like 5

It is the gift that keeps giving :D

One whole beauty tip. Least likely source.

Bill

I remembered it because I will likely need this advice.  In the next decade I will be teaching all six of my children how to drive.    :driving:

• Like 4

There is another member of the forum (a non-non-woman) who also uses Matrix "So Silver" and she rocks the "oh so cool and of the moment" look.

I'll let me "out" herself, but—as a hint—she's so out in the middle of nowhere that the only creatures enjoying her silvery tresses are her family, the rattlesnakes, and the odd armadillo.

She ought to be in NYC or LA with such a cool factor.

Silver is what's in. Trust me.

Bill

• Like 2

Dh has been white for 30 years and uses Clairol Shimmer Lights once a week.  He says he used to use it daily but it started turning his hair purple and a hairdresser told him he should just do it once a week.  

Yes, she told me once or twice a week at most.  At this stage, I might be okay with 3 times a month.

Mine was all grey underneath and brown on top, so it looked like bad dying. I had it cut short so that the grey could shine. It's still good hair.

This.....we talked about "gray blending" coloring.  But, she thinks the special shampoo will help more and be less hassle than trying to blend it. 

I spent the last year growing out my silver.

Shimmer Lights is inexpensive.  It is good to use once a week.  Aveda also has one called Blue Malva, but of course it's more expensive. 

The rest of the time, I avoid using shampoo that has any yellow or red color in it.  I look for shampoos that are blue or white.  Hello Hydration is blue.  Head and Shoulders is white.  Most conditioners are white.  

I read online reviews of the Lush purple shampoo and some people said it turned their hair pink, and it wouldn't fade or wash out.   They had to just grow it out.  So I would avoid that one.  

• Like 2

Parallel parking should be fun.

Bill

Hence, the gray hair...   :lol:

(Actually, I will teach parallel parking in the commuter car.  They do need to learn how to drive the van and park it in a parking lot, though.)  

• Like 2

I am 52, have long hair, and have been growing out my dye for almost a year. I am super happy with my natural color (which is mostly grey), but have not paid any attention to shampoo use. I am excited about this thread!

• Like 2

There is another member of the forum (a non-non-woman) who also uses Matrix "So Silver" and she rocks the "oh so cool and of the moment" look.

I'll let me "out" herself, but—as a hint—she's so out in the middle of nowhere that the only creatures enjoying her silvery tresses are her family, the rattlesnakes, and the odd armadillo.

She ought to be in NYC or LA with such a cool factor.

Silver is what's in. Trust me.

Bill

ðŸ˜

By the way, Bill, you would have to drag me kicking and screaming to get me into LA or NYC for more than three days. Give me the wide open range of West Texas instead.

I was also shocked when she pulled the hair up to cut the ends....The lower half of my hair is my nice golden brown color.  The top half is gray!!!  There is a big color difference!!!!  It blends in alright.  She showed me how nice it all looks combed out.  But really??!!  Half gray and half natural color??

So, what are some good shampoos for gray hair?  I was so distracted by the whole thing I didn't pay any attention when she mentioned brands.

I  growing mine out last fall.  I had only been doing tri-color foil highlights for at a couple years before that - so there was no color on the bottom.  (and it is *much* softer).  it's dark dishwater blonde . . . the top . .  gray with blonde highlights.

I have never seen that!

I only have a little bit of gray, so I tell myself they're platinum highlights.

A little self-delusion can be a good thing. :)

when I first started going gray - that's what a friend (who used to be a stylist) said about my gray.  "people will think you spent a lot of money on highlights."

I remembered it because I will likely need this advice.  In the next decade I will be teaching all six of my children how to drive.    :driving:

eventually, you an get the older one's to help with the younger ones.  we have a "you must have a license for five years" before being the "adult" in a student driver - but my girls were old enough.  parking lots and extremely quiet neighborhoods are good starts.

That should do it.

Stick shift?

Bill

we had this 91 gutless wonder of a loss-leader tercel. no radio, no passenger side mirror . . (dh had the most tolerance for it.)  all four of my adults learned to drive on it.  (and I did use the parking break on one.  one advantage of a stick) . . . . then it became the kid car for broke college students, and it eventually got to 1ds.  he totaled it.  (2dd drove it all four years in grad school, and exclaimed "you mean that was all I had to do?!?!?"  hey - she got married right before graduation and was driving a fully loaded pilot.  with what she hauls - she needed an suv.)

we even toyed with the idea of fixing it (had to replace the air-bag) so that dudeling could learn how to drive on it, and our neighbor has a body shop and said it could be done - but that airbag assembly . . .

so. . . now there are no more sticks.  but they are more fun to drive.  well, depending upon the type of car.

White hair is beautiful!

there was a mom at the elementary school whose had beautiful white hair - it's what motivated me to start growing mine out.  which is not white, but the natural is softer than the colored.

((Sigh)), my hair is turning grey too :-/ I'm way to young to be grey, so for now I color it. It's so expensive though, wahhh!

my dad was gray when he got married.    . . . at 25.

I did a tri-color foil for a long time - it hides the gray roots much better.

• Like 1

White hair is beautiful!

I love his hair.  It's all soft and pretty.    

I don't have a ton of gray yet (47 years old), but what I do have is coming in all coarse and kinky.  Looks completely different texture than my natural dark brown.    I have no plans to dye it beyond a temporary/wash out in 24 shampoos color every so often.  I plan to rock the long gray braid.

• Like 1

By the way, Bill, you would have to drag me kicking and screaming to get me into LA or NYC for more than three days. Give me the wide open range of West Texas instead.

Tumbleweeds. Dust. 

Who needs bright lights and culture?

Bill

Can these purple shampoos be used on only partially gray hair? Mine's about 25% gray, and I've been using a semipermanent color for years. It's no longer covering the gray roots at all, and the longer gray has a yellowish color from the dye. I can't afford to maintain professional color, so I'm going to let the gray grow out. But, I'd love to get the yellow out.

• Like 1

Can these purple shampoos be used on only partially gray hair? Mine's about 25% gray, and I've been using a semipermanent color for years. It's no longer covering the gray roots at all, and the longer gray has a yellowish color from the dye. I can't afford to maintain professional color, so I'm going to let the gray grow out. But, I'd love to get the yellow out.

Yes. I have dark brown hair with a lot of grey. The shampoo makes the grey shine but doesn't seem to affect the brown.

• Like 4

Yes. I have dark brown hair with a lot of grey. The shampoo makes the grey shine but doesn't seem to affect the brown.

Thanks to you all, I ordered some of this shampoo. I am actually sort of excited that it might help the appearance of my hair, and I don't normally care how my hair looks. LOL.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

I am greying out too. My haif at one point was blonde but over the years became more a 'dirty blonde', and then maybe more a light brown almost. The last year or so I have been noticing it was lightening up (which it does in the summer), and realized it is greying. It looks more like highlights for now, but I think it is starting to be more noticable as a grey. I am hoping it is being silver more than grey. I tell myself that it is gold and silver.

I assume I wouldn't want to use these yet....? I don't want to take the gold out yet....

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk