Menu

Anyone have a Honda CR-V and not like it?

Teresa in MO

I am buying a new vehicle.  We have never purchased new, as my dh was a Dodge/Chrsyler mechanic before he did a complete career change years ago.  We would always purchase nice minivans with lower miles knowing he could do repairs on it.  I have a 2010 Chrysler Town and Country with a little over 100,000 miles on it.  I have decided I need to trade it in while I can get something out of it and get something with a warranty.  I have driven a minivan forever and can't seem to get out of the mindset of another minivan.  I have test driven the new Chrysler Pacifica and loved it.  But, I do not need another minivan.  I am down to 2 or 3 kids that would ride with me.  Another 2 or 3 years, I will be down to 1.  I test drove a 2017 Honda Cr-V yesterday and did really like it.  It gets much better gas mileage than the Pacifica and insurance would be cheaper.  Does anyone have a CR-V and not like it?

Nope. We have an older model that we still very much love, and when I downsize from my minivan, will likely get a new CR-V to replace it.

It's been my favorite car ever -- we've had a Neon, an Accord, the CR-V, a Saturn, a Sienna minivan, assorted cars in Brazil, a Corolla, and DH has another Accord now, plus we've driven my dad's Ridgeline and my stepmom's Hummer....hands down favorite, for me, has been the CR-V.  

Oh, including our high school cars; dh had an old Mercury Cougar, and I had a Chrysler LeBaron Convertible (also old), and still....all-time favorite from the list has been the CR-V (although I love my minivan for my current stage of life). 

Love, love, love it. 

My brother purchased a 2017 CRV and has had problems with it in Colorado. The most recent was driving in snow. The snow covered the front grill, which limited how much air went through the engine, which caused a light to come on on the dashboard. They called the dealership, who told him to brush the snow off the grill and have it checked out when they got back in town. That is a very basic explanation, but he said he's frustrated because it's been in the shop a lot. Brushing the snow off the grill is a big deal when you live in an area that gets a lot of snow. 

We own a 2016, purchased as DH's vehicle. He really likes it. I like my Accord better. :)

We used to have one and loved it.  I will say that you shouldn't take them back to the dealer for maintenance though, unless it's a warranty thing or prepaid service. If your DH doesn't have the tools for imports find a good import mechanic.  When ours reached about 100,000 miles the dealer maintenance department clearly wanted us to simply buy a new one - we were told the check engine light meant it was in danger of catastrophic failure and there was nothing they could do. Autozone's scan said something completely different - I no longer remember what, but I do remember a couple bottles of Techron fixed the problem before the gas tank was empty.

Not that you'll get scammed with your DH probably doing the maintenance, or at least asking the right questions.  I have had many less problems with car repair since I married DH.

We have an old one and it has been by far our easiest car.  We bought it new and it is now 12 years old and at 150K+ miles.  We have only had  two non-routine issues and both were inexpensive fixes.  I am sure the newer ones are different but our biggest complaint is that it is rough and loud.  We knew this when we bought it.  We were looking for reliability, inexpensive, and gas mileage first and were willing to sacrifice creature comfort for it.  It has plenty of life yet so we plan to pass it along to dd when she gets her license in two years.  It is rusting badly but we live in a brutal location for cars so that is no surprise.  

We have a 2001 with around 215,000 miles on it that DS21 drives. We had to replace the radiator a couple of years ago due to a leak and had some kind of brake master cylinder repair maybe six or seven years ago. Other than that all we've ever done is routine maintenance (following Honda service recommendations).

I drive a 2014 and absolutely love it. My favorite car ever (and I've had a few ;)). I'll most likely drive it until it dies, and not out of frugality. It's just that awesome.

My SIL recently moved from a Lexus SUV (which met an unfortunate end in an accident) to a 2014 CR-V. She says she likes the CR-V better than she did the Lexus and that it absolutely handles their long, steep, curvy gravel drive much better than the Lexus.

I would do research into the 2016 and newer modes I * believe* there have been some transmission issues reported. Honda moved to a continuous variable transmission (I believe that's what it's called) with that model year. My brother is a mechanical engineer and all around mechanically competent person and that's one reason he and SIL went with a used versus a new one. However, we have a 2016 Civic with that same transmission that has over 40,000 trouble free miles on it.

We have one and it's meh. Reliable, good in snow, but I don't like the feel of it. Dh doesn't like it much either, after 5 years (bought used), but it is running well, kids drive it when they are home, so we will keep it.

It is hard to explain, but I would rather be driving something else.

We bought one 3 years ago and it has some sort of problem with the brakes.  By about 12,000 miles the brakes were worn down to nothing.  We had paid for the extended warranty (stupid), but of course the service department denied there was any problem.  Said it must just be the way I drove.   :cursing:   I'd like to get rid of it, but dh wants to keep it and just figure new brakes every year or two as part of the maintenance costs.  Lovely.  Other than that it's a fine car, I suppose.

It doesn't feel heavy or powerful like a minivan, and the newer ones feel like they have a lower center of gravity than the older CRVs, so that's a change for the better. I love mine. I switched from minivan to crv just as fast as I could and it's been great so far. We bought our certified used 2012 in December 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SamanthaCarter

We have a 2001 with around 215,000 miles on it that DS21 drives. We had to replace the radiator a couple of years ago due to a leak and had some kind of brake master cylinder repair maybe six or seven years ago. Other than that all we've ever done is routine maintenance (following Honda service recommendations).

I drive a 2014 and absolutely love it. My favorite car ever (and I've had a few ;)). I'll most likely drive it until it dies, and not out of frugality. It's just that awesome.

My SIL recently moved from a Lexus SUV (which met an unfortunate end in an accident) to a 2014 CR-V. She says she likes the CR-V better than she did the Lexus and that it absolutely handles their long, steep, curvy gravel drive much better than the Lexus.

I would do research into the 2016 and newer modes I * believe* there have been some transmission issues reported. Honda moved to a continuous variable transmission (I believe that's what it's called) with that model year. My brother is a mechanical engineer and all around mechanically competent person and that's one reason he and SIL went with a used versus a new one. However, we have a 2016 Civic with that same transmission that has over 40,000 trouble free miles on it.

We have a 2016 Civic and the 2016 CRV. Both vehicles have this transmission. In the Civic, it means no "git up and go." The CRV has a little more, but not much. If it had been up to me, I wouldn't have purchased it because of the problems we've had with the Civic transmission. 

Glad to hear your Civic has 40,000 miles on it without problem. I'm hoping that will be the case with ours, too.

We have a 2004 CR-V and we had several problems with it relating to manufacturing defects (there as a class action on one of them). Other than that, it has been okay. You need to know you can probably not fit three car seats in the back (if that applies to you). For road trips, we generally wish our vehicle was a little bigger. For every other time, it's perfectly fine.

Didn't the CR-V have a huge airbag recall last year? I would be sure to do a thorough investigation because IIRC it was pretty massive recall with life threatening consequences if the issue was not corrected. I think it was Hondas produced during a specific time frame, so it wasn't just the CR-V that was affected. 

http://hondaairbaginfo.com/

Edited by AppleGreen

Recently we heavily researched the CRV and the new Forester. I liked the "trucky" feel and simplicity of the CRV, but ultimately went with another Subaru for the AWD. It might not matter to you depending on your climate, but I just didn't want to take chances with the on-demand "AWD" of anything but a Subaru; after talking to CRV owners, I'm glad I made that decision. Plus, honestly, my heart belongs to Subaru, much as I really wanted to love the Honda (and its lower price tag).

I loved my 2005 CRV, my son drives it now, I think it's approaching 150K miles. I am driving a 2015 CRV and I don't like it nearly as much. It is longer than the 2005 and I think it might be a bit wider as well. It's just enough to make me feel like I'm driving a big vehicle and it doesn't seem as practical. I also picked leather seats, which I am indifferent about in the winter but dislike in the summer because they are hot when I get in and sticky when I get out. We have always used the dealership for maintenance and haven't had any problems. They seem to like getting in cars with high mileage and I have never had them recommend unneeded work. 

Didn't the CR-V have a huge airbag recall last year? I would be sure to do a thorough investigation because IIRC it was pretty massive recall with life threatening consequences if the issue was not corrected. I think it was Hondas produced during a specific time frame, so it wasn't just the CR-V that was affected. 

http://hondaairbaginfo.com/

Yes, they did. However, a new vehicle would not be under the recall as the problem has been corrected. If purchasing a used vehicle, simply check the VIN with Honda to see if it has been replaced yet. It was a big mess, but once parts were available, it's not a hard fix. 

We traded in our Chrysler Town and Country for a 2014 Honda CRV almost three years ago.  It's probably the best car we've ever had.  I haven't had to do a single thing except the regular maintenance (oil change, etc.).  It's really perfect for our current family needs.  It has about 40,000 miles on it.

When we were looking to get another car, we looked at the CRV. I test drove several model years. I loved everything about the car except for the seats. The seat bottom was too shallow and my legs were getting tense even on the short tests drives. I couldn't imagine dealing with that on long drives. If you are on the shorter side, then it might not be a issue. I do love their reliability. We ended up with a Ford Escape (mostly due to a relative who just started working at a Ford dealership.) I like the car, but we have had a few issues (minor transmission stuff on recall and a problem with the lug nuts making it impossible to change your tire on the side of the road.)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

My mom bought a new one 1.5 or 2 years ago. It's a nice car, but none of us like the tiny rear window the new ones have. Even with the backing camera, there are some angles we cannot see when we are backing up.

She likes everything else about it, and it has been maintenance free and gets great gas mileage.