Menu

I need recommendations

Melinda S in TX

Due to mold in our home, we are having to leave almost everything behind and start over.  We are moving to a rental temporarily (4-6 mos) while our home is being fixed.  Funds are limited, so I am replacing only super needed/much used items.

Air purifiers for the bedrooms.

A vacuum cleaner.  The bedrooms and living room of the rental are carpet.  It needs to work super great due to dd reactions.

Computer.  The children do online classes, classes on dvd, movies, etc, so this is a necessity.  Extra points if I can get if from Staples since I have a reward coupon to use.

Also need some kind of copier/printer since I am going to have to reprint all of the children's Math Mammoth, Systematic Mathematics, etc workbooks.

What are your recommendations?

With regards to the printer, look into the computer first. Sometimes there will be a special where they offer a printer for free when you buy a computer. Just something to look into...

As for recommendations for the computer, do you prefer PC or Mac? Laptop or desktop or tablet? What is your general budget? How good do the graphics need to be? Do you need a DVD player? Will you be storing a lot of large file digital photographs on the hard drive?

• Like 1

I'm sorry -- that sounds so hard!

For computers -- I have been extremely pleased with the gently used Dell Latitude laptops we've gotten from eBay.  Good size hard drive, Win 7 or Win 10, decently fast for internet and some games, running around $100-$140 shipped.

Printer -- I love my Canon MX922 wireless all-in-one.  I got it from Amazon for about $100, but Staples carries it as well.  Cheap ink from Blake Printing Supply on Amazon.

Vacuum -- We got this one last fall, and it has been fantastic.  It's not my favorite for hard floors, but for carpet, it's been great.  https://www.amazon.com/Hoover-UH70120-WindTunnel-Bagless-Lighweight/dp/B002HFDLCK

• Like 1

Due to mold in our home, we are having to leave almost everything behind and start over. We are moving to a rental temporarily (4-6 mos) while our home is being fixed. Funds are limited, so I am replacing only super needed/much used items.

Air purifiers for the bedrooms.

A vacuum cleaner. The bedrooms and living room of the rental are carpet. It needs to work super great due to dd reactions.

Computer. The children do online classes, classes on dvd, movies, etc, so this is a necessity. Extra points if I can get if from Staples since I have a reward coupon to use.

Also need some kind of copier/printer since I am going to have to reprint all of the children's Math Mammoth, Systematic Mathematics, etc workbooks.

What are your recommendations?

Why would you have to get rid of almost everything in your house due to the mold? I know some things would need to be replaced, but didn't you remove most of your possessions when you discovered the mold?

I know mold is a health issue and I'm certainly not trying to minimize it, but why do you need to replace things like your computer and printer? Couldn't they be thoroughly cleaned and aired-out?

Edited by Catwoman

With regards to the printer, look into the computer first. Sometimes there will be a special where they offer a printer for free when you buy a computer. Just something to look into...

As for recommendations for the computer, do you prefer PC or Mac? Laptop or desktop or tablet? What is your general budget? How good do the graphics need to be? Do you need a DVD player? Will you be storing a lot of large file digital photographs on the hard drive?

PC.  Desktop or laptop.  Yes to dvd player.  We don't store photos on the computer.  Graphics need to be good enough for Ookaisland, Mathreflex, Dreambox, and streaming.  Don't know about the budget.  Less is better, but I have no idea what a computer costs.

Why would you have to get rid of almost everything in your house due to the mold? I know some things would need to be replaced, but didn't you remove most of your possessions when you discovered the mold?

I know mold is a health issue and I'm certainly not trying to minimize it, but why do you need to replace things like your computer and printer? Couldn't they be thoroughly cleaned and aired-out?

Not the OP but in toxic mold....anything that can harbor spores is a potential source of re-contamination. 

ETA: yes, you can clean some hard surface items, but anything with a fan is a bad idea.  So, laptops/printers/tvs/cell phones....pretty much any electronic... needs to be ditched.  But when you figure the cost of replacing your life, trying to safe dishes and a few things that can go in a dishwasher....aren't worth it.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2

Not the OP but in toxic mold....anything that can harbor spores is a potential source of re-contamination. 

ETA: yes, you can clean some hard surface items, but anything with a fan is a bad idea.  So, laptops/printers/tvs/cell phones....pretty much any electronic... needs to be ditched.  But when you figure the cost of replacing your life, trying to safe dishes and a few things that can go in a dishwasher....aren't worth it.

Not the OP either, obviously, but I agree with Tap.

I am assuming OP's home was tested and determined by a professional not to have just standard mold but a toxic mold.  The mytotoxins produced by toxic molds can be extremely toxic (like a poison) and long term exposure can cause severe damage to multiple systems in a human or even death.  The spores, once established, can be hard to eradicate and they can get into everything.  Usually it is recommended that most belongings get left behind for disposal through a company trained in the safe removal of this type of mold.  

OP I assume a reputable mold testing company actually tested the mold and confirmed it was toxic, not just standard mold?

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2

We have been searching for a place to move to, but due to my 19dd health problems, we can't just move into anywhere.  We moved all of our things away from the mold and the mold is isolated, but the mold was in a hidden area, so who knows how long it was there.  We are moving in the next few days though.  Found a place yesterday and they are cleaning it with vinegar, soap, and water and turning it over to us without all the usual carpet cleaning, painting, etc, since that would make it unlivable for my daughter.

Anything that is porous and can't be thoroughly cleaned is suspect.  That means our books (3000+ with lots of vintage, tons of Landmark, Happy Hollister set minus one, etc).  We love books, so this is one of the hardest things.  The other thing is sentimental items from Steven since he is gone now and things from the children when they were little.  Anything  you can't soak or scrub can harbor mold spores and mycotoxins.  The computer and printer.  Refrigerator.  Washer and dryer.  And it's not a simple matter of blowing it out.  Black mold is sticky and klings to things unless scrubbed off, and even that is not a guarantee that you got it.

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

My sister was very very ill for 6 months. Her husband had to quit work to look after the kids as she was collapsing all the time, so exhausted she could barely function etc. Had multiple tests but the doctors could not work out what was wrong.....it turned out to be mould under the house. When she shifted she felt way way better within weeks.

• Like 1

We buy refurbished dell desktops on Ebay from a seller with a very high percentage of good reviews (and a lot of them).  They're great.  I don't know the programs you are referencing, but generally you can get one for $150 or so that will run Minecraft without mods, basically. (although you may have to add a graphics card).

Melinda, I went to your Caring Bridge site and read about all that's been going on recently. I am so sorry and will pray for wisdom for you, health for your family, and help for all of you.

I'm guessing that if people would like to make a donation, the YouCaring site is a good place to do it? If not, let us know.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2