Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
bltex

Singapore Math - Kindergarten Essential Math

For those who have used the Kindergarten Essentials workbooks, how many pages per day did you cover?  

Also, did you always present the present the lesson as described in "Introduction" or did you just let your child do the worksheet for topics that your child already knew?  A lot of these lessons appear to be review for DD#2 (who has followed along with a lot of her older sister's math) and could easily be done without additional instructions, but I don't want to skip teaching the "Introductions" if it means she will miss out on the "Singapore Method."

Thank you!

My just-turned 5yr old has had that book since the fall. I just let him do however many pages he is interested in doing, and I let him stop whenever. Today, he stopped after half a page but he has had days where he did 10 pages before stopping. I'm not pushing it - he's still so young!

I only read the directions to him (he isn't reading yet). I haven't had to do any other teaching so far.

• Like 1

We did it for k. Book A was a breeze more like prek level in my opinion. I started out doing the demonstration at the bottom but dropped it because ds always knew how to do it already. Book B had things in it he did not know so i did some of the suggestions. I only bought a set of linking cubes and that saw us through. We loved it. We did front and back each day. In the early days ds would ask for more and we have done upwards of 6 pages a day only because he wanted to.Front and back of 1 page is what is suggested and that seems perfect for k.

• Like 1

Don't worry about missing out on the Singapore method-- if you plan to use it for first grade, you're not going to miss anything. Everything will be presented more efficiently again in 1A.

We do use K, but just for fun. My kids have both liked just opening the textbook at random and talking about a few pages and then doing a few workbook pages at random. I am a bit severe and uncompromising about Introducing Math Things in the Proper Order and Spending the Proper Amount of Time on Each Thing, but not in K. K level in our house is more about just beginning to instill the kind of interest in and love for math that we have for reading. (Oh, and beginning to teach them what I think math really is all about by talking about it. So rather than letting my child do too many workbook pages, I'll say, "Wait, wait, wait, what are you doing? How did you figure that out? Oh, okay. I see how you did it. So does that mean..." and so forth.)

• Like 2

Don't worry about missing out on the Singapore method-- if you plan to use it for first grade, you're not going to miss anything. Everything will be presented more efficiently again in 1A.

We do use K, but just for fun. My kids have both liked just opening the textbook at random and talking about a few pages and then doing a few workbook pages at random. I am a bit severe and uncompromising about Introducing Math Things in the Proper Order and Spending the Proper Amount of Time on Each Thing, but not in K. K level in our house is more about just beginning to instill the kind of interest in and love for math that we have for reading. (Oh, and beginning to teach them what I think math really is all about by talking about it. So rather than letting my child do too many workbook pages, I'll say, "Wait, wait, wait, what are you doing? How did you figure that out? Oh, okay. I see how you did it. So does that mean..." and so forth.)

:iagree:

• Like 1

Another vote for just letting the child do as much as they are interested in doing. Since the sections are grouped together some are really easy and some are harder. I never did any of the extras. You won't miss anything for the "Singapore Method." I was disappointed with Singapore Essentials, it seemed too much like a preschool type workbook. If you want a more discovery based math you could consider Miquon.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your replies!  I will just let her do a few pages each lesson and save extra teacher instruction for times she truly needs it. She will technically be in her prek year, so Essentials will probably be a good fit for where she is and have a solid foundation for 1A..  

She will also be getting a bit of math at a twice a week university model style school, but she is ahead of their curriculum and will want/need something more for homeschool days while her sister is doing 1st grade math.

DD did as much as she wanted a day and some days that meant 15-20 pages. It was a quick book to go through since she already knew most of the material.