Menu

I wish I didn't dislike MLM

Moxie

I really dislike MLM. I think they generally prey on people desperate to make money and encourage women to view friends and family as customers.

But I like the idea of selling something you are passionate about in your spare time. I love organizing and I'd happily sell organzational products but I'm not interested in being a downline, finding recruits, meeting quotas, etc.

That's all. Just drinking coffee and contemplating my future and you guys are the only ones I can talk to at the moment.

• Like 4

I get it! I really do! And, sadly, you're right about MOST MLM companies. Not all are like that, but so many are.

And just an FYI, there are direct sales companies out there that look similar to MLM but they definitely are not.

You can, if interested, contact the DSA (Direct Sales Association) for more information on those companies.

You might find a Farmers Market or Craft Bazaar more to your liking. When you start your organizational products business,

let me know! Seriously. I might order a few things!

I really dislike MLM. I think they generally prey on people desperate to make money and encourage women to view friends and family as customers.

But I like the idea of selling something you are passionate about in your spare time. I love organizing and I'd happily sell organzational products but I'm not interested in being a downline, finding recruits, meeting quotas, etc.

That's all. Just drinking coffee and contemplating my future and you guys are the only ones I can talk to at the moment.

I dislike the whole concept of MLM too. I avoid them like crazy....and if I want the product I will sometimes go to a party (I love Pampered chef), but I rarely have a party (last one was about 9 years ago) .

I fell into my job. It is currently flexible.....likely to go full time in the next year or two...and my big problem is I don't really want to work full time.

• Like 1

I HATE MLM. But I love some of the products. In my case I love Thirty One stuff, and have had a party. I have considered becoming a seller for a very short time just for discounts and the occasional party if my friends want to have one, because I really like their stuff, and my friends that came to my party have expressed interest in doing one. But I would do it very short term not expecting to make money.  I love Usborne books, but I don't think their parties are worth it,  So I just buy books from sellers. Isn't Usborne an MLM? Am I wrong about that? I did a party once,  but the specials for the host weren't that great for me. That was a long time ago though.

I also like Vera Bradley stuff, so it's not just the selling stuff, lol. I genuinely get excited over pretty wallets or purse.  Funmy thing is that I don't like to spend a fortune. So I stalk sales and discounts and secondhand stores and warehouse sales. :) 

You know, MLMs are a great way to learn the rudiments of starting your own business, but not an entirely necessary one. Why not start something that is not an MLM, if you have a great idea?

I agree. Maybe you could do something like set up a Local Egg Cooperative network. Find people with chickens on one side and interested customers on the other and a restaurant to take any weekly surplus?

Or whatever interests you!

MLMs with products I like:

Pampered Chef

(formerly) Silpada

Amway (their core products)

(formerly) Southern Living at Home

CAbI when I was small enough to wear more of their things

Tupperware

Lila Rose

Lula Roe

MLMs that annoy me:

Anything involving essential oils

31 (because you can't see scale in their photos, and even their catalogues don't consistently give dimensions)

Lila Rose (because I have thin hair, so their primary product doesn't work for me)

I guess on balance I like them.  But I don't mind saying no thank you, which I think makes all the difference in the world.

My current hate list of MLMs is Rodan and Fields. No, most women cannot spend "just 4 dollars a day" on their skincare regime. I asked a consultant about the lash boost...120 to 150 a tube!?

I agree. And most of the MLM customer market are SAHM's! My friends that work full time have never even heard of most of these companies. I hadn't either until I stayed home when my dc were little. IMO, most of the products are overpriced, and an equivalent item could easily be purchased elsewhere for less.

ETA: and I've been discouraged by them on more than one occasion when I've met someone new that I thought may become a friend, only to learn their interest in me was only as a potential customer.

Edited by Bethany Grace
  • Like 2

I agree. And most of the MLM customer market are SAHM's! My friends that work full time have never even heard of most of these companies. I hadn't either until I stayed home when my dc were little. IMO, most of the products are overpriced, and an equivalent item could easily be purchased elsewhere for less.

ETA: and I've been discouraged by them on more than one occasion when I've met someone new that I thought may become a friend, only to learn their interest in me was only as a potential customer.

Ugh. I hate that MLM pitches make me feel used.

My current hate list of MLMs is Rodan and Fields. No, most women cannot spend "just 4 dollars a day" on their skincare regime. I asked a consultant about the lash boost...120 to 150 a tube!?

$4 a day is $1460 a year! What the heck???

I get the Dollar Store brand Noxema, the Walmart brand of Oil of Olay and get 3 tubes of $5 mascara a year and buy shadow and blush every other year. That's about $50 a year. I canNOT spend $4 a day on skincare!

Oh, and I get a tube of clearasil that lasts for 2 years every other year. For crying out loud. $4 a day. $1460. Who do they think they're kidding?

• Like 1

I really dislike it as well. I understand and relate to most of your post.

For several years, five maybe, I've been unable to stop thinking about starting a business of my own. I make notes about it frequently, for years, Microsoft Word documents about it...drives me batty.

I don't drink coffee, but I come here to contemplate my future, chime in and skulk around the board.

It seems dishonest to me. And then for people to say, "Oh, no! It's not MLM! Not at all!" Looks like it to me. 

Organic castor oil on Amazon. $10 for a big bottle and my lashes have grown so much. I laughed at the RF price.

I'm a hater because of over saturation in my circles.  I must know a dozen people doing it IRL (and most of them are on FB.) For some bizarre reason I don't understand, my branch of evangelicals is prone to this. I used to attend a church of about 150 regular adult attenders.  4 women were doing Pampered Chef there at the same time. For a couple of years I attended a start up church with a pastor friend of mine.  There were 20 adult regular attenders.  3 did MLM products of some sort.  One did kitchen items, another did jewelry and Usborn books and another did 31 purses. That doesn't count the FB and other friends doing Lula Roe, lipsticks, essential oils, and duplicates of the above listed types of items.

We're attending a new church.  There's a class you can take on Sundays to ask detailed questions about the church.  I'm seriously considering asking just how many members are doing MLM stuff and how many of them will invite me to a fake party to sell me stuff.

I just don't shop that way.  I go to amazon and read the reviews of products I'm interested in before I purchase them.  I don't care about brands, I want to know specially why some people like an item and others don't. I buy the kitchen items recommended by America's Test Kitchen's in house testing. 

I've been moving to a more minimalist and completely debt free lifestyle over the last 5 years so I think about each purchase very strategically these says.  I own 3 lip glosses that I bought because they were the right colors and the lowest price, I own 2 purses that between them go with my capsule wardrobe (I've gone though a few size changes in each direction in the past several years) and they're all classic, modern, and work well together.  The latest fads in bright colors are not my thing.

• Like 2