Menu

What did you do after R&S math 8?

We are finishing up Rod & Staff Math 8 and I have no idea what to use next year (for 8th grade). For those of you who finished this course, what did you use next and how did it work out? I really appreciate any responses! I don't even know if dd should do a pre algebra or algebra course.

The Mennonite church I attended used Saxon Algebra 1 after Rod and Staff 8. Many of the students in the church apprenticed under an accountant after graduating 10th grade. Im not sure if they just finished Saxon Algebra 1 in 10th, or if they fit in some accounting. I do know for certain that they did NOT even start the Algebra 2 book.

• Like 1

My ds switched to CLE after R&S 6.  He used CLE through algebra and it was a really good fit.  Then, we switched to Lial's algebra and are finishing up Lial's precalculus now.  We didn't do everything in Lial's algebra since he'd already done CLE, but a second run through algebra was great for really solidifying in algebra skills.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies. I'm wondering how bju or videotext would workout since they are considered mastery.

One of mine went to BJU Pre-Algebra after completing through most of R&S 7; the format was nice, the teaching was good, but he needed more review.  BJU has review questions in the TM (2 or 3 per lesson), and reviews at the end of each chapter, but it wasn't enough for my son.  He had to dip into R&S 8 to do review work, and he was grumpy about it.  Math is his Achilles' heel, and he has always needed more review than many kids. He has done Basic Algebra this year, and will go to Jacobs' Algebra for more review and depth next year. 

Another son also went to BJU Pre-A after R&S 7; he found it boring because he already knew it all--(he was using the older edition of BJU Pre-A; the newer edition is meatier, imo, but was too expensive for me at the time).

He is more intuitive in math, and quickly went to Dolciani Pre-Algebra because he needed more of a challenge.  Dolciani has clear teaching, very good word problems, and also has review built into each lesson.  He will be continuing with Dolciani for algebra next year.  (The Dolciani algebra editions from the 60's and 70's have a very good reputation, but I chose to use the 80's Dolciani Algebra because I could find the student book, teacher edition, and solutions manual without having to go on an expensive hunt for the holy grail. ;) )

Many folks on this board have a high opinion of Lial's (which I haven't used, so I can't say much about it.)

ETA:  BJU is a good solid program--it just didn't fit for my two oldest boys at that time.

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 2

Here's a thread with some (hopefully) helpful info about Lial's...http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/253278-what-exactly-do-i-need-to-use-lials-algebra/

and another thread with some info about Lial's and videos...http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/301057-for-those-w8th-edition-lials-intermediate-alg-digital-video-tutor-cd/

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

Thanks!! I will check this out.

Does Lial's Algebra have any teaching videos that correspond to it? Unfortunately I need teaching videos at this level.

I used these:

https://www.amazon.com/Optional-Captioning-Prealgebra-Introductory-Algebra/dp/0321599306/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1494710965&sr=8-15&keywords=Lials+dvds

I would avoid any of the other versions that say "dvt". Those will only work on the computer and I've had trouble getting them to work at all on a pc.

We watched the video for whatever section we were covering on day one and did all the margin exercises as well. On day two, my ds did every other problem of the section exercises.

I used these:

https://www.amazon.com/Optional-Captioning-Prealgebra-Introductory-Algebra/dp/0321599306/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1494710965&sr=8-15&keywords=Lials+dvds

I would avoid any of the other versions that say "dvt". Those will only work on the computer and I've had trouble getting them to work at all on a pc.

We watched the video for whatever section we were covering on day one and did all the margin exercises as well. On day two, my ds did every other problem of the section exercises.

Thanks!