Menu

Can I safely skip some levels of Writing and Rhetoric?

My 6th grader is a fairly competent (although not enthusiastic) writer. He's done W&R Fable and Narrative II along with a smattering of other writing programs and writing across the curriculum. It's likely that he'll go to public high school in 9th grade so I want him to have as many tools in his writing toolbox as possible. 

If I have just two years left to teach him writing, can I skip some of the middle W&R levels to get to the higher books? Which ones would give me the most benefit in our limited amount of time? I'm comfortable doing 2 levels a year, but could possibly squeeze in three.  

If he were mine and I had just two years to get him ready for public school writing, I would pick a different program. Is there a reason you want to stick with Writing and Rhetoric?

I found a lot of the upper levels both repetitive and frustrating in their lack of explicit/complete instruction. I imagine you could skip and consolidate. However, I don't know where within their levels you would get all you need to get where you want to be. I stopped after book 4. It's not there to that point anyway--maybe they get way better in the later 4 books. I don't think, in your time frame, I would want to spend a lot more time in Narratives the way CAP teaches it. And I was not at all impressed with book 4. 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 1

If he were mine and I had just two years to get him ready for public school writing, I would pick a different program. Is there a reason you want to stick with Writing and Rhetoric?

We've tried several other programs (IEW SWI-A, IEW theme books, Hake, Writers in Residence, Writing with Skill, Writing Strands, just plain writing across the curriculum, a bunch of Evan-Moor and Scholastic stuff) and W&R is the one that he tolerates the best and the one that I most enjoy teaching. ;-) 

If you have suggestions other than the above, I'm all ears, though. 

I'd probably recommend Books 5, 6, 7, & 8. 

Thank you - that's helpful! 

Edited by insertcreativenamehere

We've tried several other programs (IEW SWI-A, IEW theme books, Hake, Writers in Residence, Writing with Skill, Writing Strands, just plain writing across the curriculum, a bunch of Evan-Moor and Scholastic stuff) and W&R is the one that he tolerates the best and the one that I most enjoy teaching. ;-) 

If you have suggestions other than the above, I'm all ears, though. 

That's a good reason! Sorry if I came across poorly. Just because I wouldn't do it doesn't mean it's not a great idea for you!

Those upper books suggested to you I haven't seen--I hope they work really well.

You've used so much. I would have probably recommended Barbara Mariconda's materials, but I really hope the CAP continues to be a good fit. 

• Like 1

I'd probably recommend Books 5, 6, 7, & 8. 

I would agree with this. I only have experience with books 4 and 7, but we like them both. In book 7 they are writing 6 paragraph essays and learning to write a research paper. You could even try books 6, 7, 8 & 9, but I think either way he will be fine in public school.

• Like 1