Menu

Switching from AAR/AAS to LOE, need advice...

amyc78

My mildly dyslexic daughter has been doing great with AAR, we are halfway through level 3. We are also in level 2 of AAS, she is moving a little slower through it. Next year we will be part of a co-op that is using LOE Essentials, so I would like to spend the summer prepping her for this transition.

Any advice or suggestions? Anybody made this switch and what was your experience?

I would get their flashcards for the phonograms and start teaching/reviewing them to her now. If they start at the beginning of Essentials then you should be good even without the prior prep but it'll be an easier transition if she knows how LOE defines their phonograms (ex: "a" says 4 things not 2....). 

I tried AAR without success with my dd and she did awesome with LOE Foundations. We are coming back to hs this year and will start up with Essentials as our spelling/grammar since she can read well now. 

Edited by celticadea
  • Like 1

I would get their flashcards for the phonograms and start teaching/reviewing them to her now. If they start at the beginning of Essentials then you should be good even without the prior prep but it'll be an easier transition if she knows how LOE defines their phonograms (ex: "a" says 4 things not 2....). 

:iagree:

LOE is an excellent program, but moves a bit fast for dyslexics, IMO. I would start practicing the phonograms ahead of time.

That was my thought too. If you will be placing her in the middle somehow, I would try to see what they have covered before that point and work to fill in any gaps. Also, LOE combines reading and spelling, so if her spelling isn't at the same place, you may want to talk to the co-op about how that will be handled (or place her according to spelling instead, and just keep working on reading at her pace the other days). 

AAR and LOE have different orders of introducing phonemes. You should go through the prior level of LOE (if the phonics are listed in order on the website it would be fine), and make sure she knows them.

My limited understanding is LOE also teaches all the phonemes at once. AAR sort of does but doesn't emphasize them except one at a time. So, if they do that, she needs to learn them all ahead of time. Idk if essentials is the first level? If so, you may not need any prep.

Edited by displace