Menu

The Late Start Teachers Lounge 5-10-2017

scrapbookbuzz

Morning, all! Well, at least it's still morning for some of us.

I woke up late, got started out late, and reached my destination later than intended. *sigh*

But all is good. At least I arrived back home around when I thought I would. 

I was out gathering various desert plant offerings. Was able to gather a couple of things I wanted.

Sadly, I could not find the evening primrose and this household could really use that this week!

What have you been up to this morning? Here: see above. Plus, before I left I helped guide my ds through

some stretches after he came home from his run. He told me last night he wanted to start running 3x/week. This was

his own idea! So proud of him. Also, told him that, other than today, I would run with him. I'm looking forward to the time together! And, after I came home, after I made sure he had breakfast, I showed him how to prep potatoes for the crockpot so we can have breakfast potatoes for dinner. 

What else is going on in your world today? Here: straightening and cleaning the house, along with some research. Tomorrow is the Coffee Klatch and the downstairs bathroom desperately needs attention! Plus, I gathered som jojoba beans today and I want to find out how to use them as a coffee replacement. I know it can be done, I just don't know how!

Any cooking or baking going on in your household today? Here: the potatoes, obviously. Plus, I need to use this zucchini so I will be making zucchini bread. I may also try something with strawberries as we have extra right now. 

Talk to me! :bigear: 

• Like 3

This morning: We did school.  Made lunch.  Eating now (Greek chicken bowls).

Rest of the day: Cameron works, Fritz has swim team, all the kids have church activities, I'm going to visit with friends late tonight.

Cooking/Baking: Not really.  Lunch required a bit of prep.  Dinner Jamie will make since and it's pretty involved (firecracker chicken) because I'll be at swim practice since the parents' meeting happens concurrently (it's the first practice of the season).

Good afternoon, Scrap!

This morning was a normal day, breakfast and lunch packed for dh, feeding our cats, bible study, breakfast for the rest of us, some school, laundry, lunch, etc. 

Ds still has two subjects to finish. I need to do more yard sale/used book sale labeling in hopes to make some money later this month. We are waiting to hear a quote on replacing the transmission in our car. 

No baking going on. I cooked eggs for breakfast and made a salad for lunch. We might eat at church tonight, but I'm not sure yet. 

• Like 2

Hi Scrap!

Busy day of errands and general vacation prep here. No school. That is pretty much all that is happening here today, besides kids' piano lessons.

Cooking. I had kielbasa and scrambled eggs for lunch. My crock pot has beef broth simmering, for my mom who is having some GI tract problems. Dinner will be random, whatever's in the fridge, make your own tonight.

Dd might make some blondies tonight, since all but 2 of the first batch went for teacher gifts.

• Like 2

Hi Scrap.  Cool that you gather desert plants.  I am not much of a gardener, but I will work a garden for food or useful stuff.  Not just ornamentals like dh.

What have I been up to this morning?  Well,it was a later start for me, but I didn't get much sleep.  Having issues with 20yo and sleep was fitful.  It was late-start for dd at the high school so I had to drop her off.  Then, I walked the dog, did a little housework, cooked up some butternut squash in the Instant Pot for making "pumpking" muffins tomorrow, and had my therapy appointment (that keeps me sane living with someone else with mental illness), stopped at Adagio Teas since we were running out of some of my favorites.  They were having their buy 4 get one free, so, of course, I had to get something.  Then I stopped to pick up a prescription and picked up dd.  I forgot to have lunch so I am struggling with a little bit of a blood sugar crash and don't have the energy to do much else.

What else is going on in my world?  I am supposed to make dinner, but I just don't have the energy and we need to leave in 15 minutes to take dd to climbing team practice.  (I think it will be Chipotle tonight instead.)  She has her regional championship near Detroit this weekend.  I need to get the tickets for a local "Yappy Hour" (dinner and fun night out with the dog at a local restaurant as a fundraiser for our shelter.)  I need to do redo some beneficiary forms for our IRAs.  One hadn't been updated since before dd was born.  Oops. 

Baking?  I'll probably whip up those muffins tonight for for dd to take to school for a class project.  She normally would do it, but she has a lot on her plate. Tomorrow, I will probably make up some no-bake cocoa balls to bring with us this weekend.  I should be cooking right now, but can't get into it. 

• Like 1

I spent my morning flying home from Albany. Dh got hung up at work. Sis was two hours late to the airport. Oh well.

Not home yet because traffic is a night mare so the 2-3 hr drive home is going to take a lot longer.

So no baking, no cooking. When I finally get home, no one had better ask, "What's for supper?"

• Like 3

FaithManor, here's to safe travels all the way!

Ellen, boy do I get the low blood sugar thing! If you have something with protein nearby (peanut butter, nuts, pistachios, bacon, ham, something),

have a little of that to balance out the blood sugar and give you some energy. And then when you have enough energy, please share

the recipe for those delicious sounding no-bake cocoa balls!  :D

• Like 1

Also, as for the desert plant gathering - it's taken me a LONG time to appreciate living in the Sonoran desert as I do.

I still don't like the summer heat, but the amount of beneficial flora here is AMAZING. Today I went to look for some I learned

about during my desert walkabout a few weeks back. Always learning!

• Like 3

Oh, that reminds me, Margaret, I forgot to tell you: I'm flying into Denver late Thursday night. Can you come pick me up?  :D Just kidding!

I sent my kids on a walk to the corner gas station to get mid-afternoon snacks, and caffeine for Mom (me)! They'll have walked about a mile when they 

get back. Might as well get outside while the weather is nice!

Now to make a list of businesses I need to call to negotiate our bills this month . . .  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 1

Today was a struggle because sometimes I wake up way too early and then once I finally fall back asleep, I get in such a deep sleep that it's hard to wake up.  And then I just feel like crap all day.   I did bake some brownies last night to take to a friend's house for lunch.  GF brownies with salted caramel on top. 

• Like 2

Ellen, boy do I get the low blood sugar thing! If you have something with protein nearby (peanut butter, nuts, pistachios, bacon, ham, something),

have a little of that to balance out the blood sugar and give you some energy. And then when you have enough energy, please share

the recipe for those delicious sounding no-bake cocoa balls!  :D

Yeah, I'm aware of the need for protein as I have been living with Hypoglycemia since my teens.  I was out running errands that took longer than planned and I didn't realize how long it had been until I was about to crash.  Usually, when I crash, it takes days to get back to normal as I cycle through peaking and crashing, no matter how careful I am about balancing carbs and proteins/fats. 

Here is the recipe: 

1/2 c. to 1 c. raw almonds, pulsed to fine crumb.

Add following to food processor with ground nuts:

3 heaping T cocoa powder

1/2 tsp. almond extract

1 c. pitted dates (Medjool are best)

dash of salt

1 tsp. coconut oil

if mixture is not sticky enough to form into balls, drizzle 1 tsp. water, pulse, and retest.

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
  • Like 3

And now, because we obviously don't have enough going on already :tongue_smilie: , we're fostering a 5 month old female pitbull!

She's as big as our 6 year old Sheltie/Spitz mix who's trying to figure out what in the heck is going on!

But our sheltie has no problems letting the pup knows who's in charge. Yep, we're living our own rendition of Homeward Bound!  :D 

• Like 1