Menu

$400 hair dryer!

school17777

Ds got his hair cut last night. The lady used a cool looking hair dryer to blow the hair off and she was telling us and another client about it (because we asked, because it was so cool looking!). She highly recommended it. She said it saves her a lot of time because it dries really fast (and it is really quiet, you barely hear it when it is on). She said what used to take 30 minutes to dry someone's hair with her old professional hair dryer, now takes 10 minutes.

So, I looked up the hair dryer because it sounds good to me, to find that it is $400! (A dyson)

Guess I will stick with what I thought was expensive but now looks like a bargain. (Chi). Makes the Miracurl look like a bargain too!

I'm jealous! If I went back to work doing hair in salons, I would absolutely invest in one of those. That would mean I could take 3-4 appointments in the time I used to be able to only do 1-2. Working on commission, that would double my income and pay for itself in one or two weeks.

When I upgraded to $200 clippers (20+years ago) I found it took about half the time, and also got better cleaner results.

I'd never buy that dryer for home use, though.

• Like 9

I can't imagine buying a hair dryer that expensive...but for as thick as my hair is, I gotta say it's tempting. I already have a pretty good hair dryer but it still takes a solid 15 minutes to dry my hair.

If I win the lottery, I gotta say I will consider it.

• Like 3

I can't imagine buying a hair dryer that expensive...but for as thick as my hair is, I gotta say it's tempting. I already have a pretty good hair dryer but it still takes a solid 15 minutes to dry my hair.

If I win the lottery, I gotta say I will consider it.

One of my friends has very thick hair -- it looks similar to yours and it's beautiful -- and she bought that dryer. She said it was worth every penny because she can now dry and style her hair in a fraction of the time it used to take her every morning.

• Like 2

My step-mother bought me one for Christmas.  It's still in the box.  I haven't blown my hair dry since sometime in high school bc I'm just too lazy, and since babies it's changed texture and dries perfectly straight on its own, so my motivation is even less.

I'm sure it's an amazing device, but it's not the gift for me.  I imagine if you had thick and/or challenging hair, it could be a game changer.  My throw-it-in-a-braid-or-bun self will probably never find out.

OK, I don't own a hair dryer, I keep my hair super short so I don't have to bother with it.

But.

If I were washing and styling my hair every morning, and if this little appliance is something that would last for years, I think the investment makes a lot of sense.

It's a little over $1 a day to save 20 minutes each day in just one year. I'd happily pay someone $3 an hour to do chores for me.

Use it for five or ten years and you're looking at a pretty significant time savings for the price.

Edited by maize
  • Like 6

My step-mother bought me one for Christmas.  It's still in the box.  I haven't blown my hair dry since sometime in high school bc I'm just too lazy, and since babies it's changed texture and dries perfectly straight on its own, so my motivation is even less.

I'm sure it's an amazing device, but it's not the gift for me.  I imagine if you had thick and/or challenging hair, it could be a game changer.  My throw-it-in-a-braid-or-bun self will probably never find out.

I'm sure that someone on this board would love a gift from you........

• Like 9

I so want this hair dryer!  I have long, thick, wavy hair.  If I try to blow dry it, my arm about falls off.  

So I have been coveting this since I first saw it.

:drool5:

But alas, not unless I win the lottery.  

Although if I win the lottery, I will be sitting on a beach and my hair will be dried by the lovely ocean breeze.

So I guess just no.

• Like 1

I can see why a stylist would want a heavier duty motor and it's probably designed to keep from overheating after being used several times a day. It would be crazy for at home use unless you had a houseful of girls with long, thick hair.

OK, I don't own a hair dryer, I keep my hair super short so I don't have to bother with it.

But.

If I were washing and styling my hair every morning, and if this little appliance is something that would last for years, I think the investment makes a lot of sense.

It's a little over $1 a day to save 20 minutes each day in just one year. I'd happily pay someone $3 an hour to do chores for me.

Use it for five or ten years and you're looking at a pretty significant time savings for the price.

Shall I dare admit this?

I have been thinking about this hair dryer since school 17777 first posted this and Maize gave me a logical reason to consider it. I was drying my hair today, in a bad time crunch, and I kept "hearing" Maize explaining why this may not be insane.

Granted, I would clearly have to buy this out of my "cool money" so as not to have this charge turn up on my credit card statement, arousing awkward questions from Somebody Else in my household who would have a really hard time with my four-benjamin hairdryer. But, my brain is actually going there because seriously, if this thing would shave 15 or so minutes from my admitedly absurd hair maintenance routine, and assuming it lasts for a good many years, then it's really not all that crazy.

Now I'm going to go crawl into my frugal hole and probably never admit it to anybody again, even if I do end up buying the dryer.

• Like 5

My step-mother bought me one for Christmas.  It's still in the box.  I haven't blown my hair dry since sometime in high school...I'm sure it's an amazing device, but it's not the gift for me...

...I have been thinking about this hair dryer since school 17777 first posted this and Maize gave me a logical reason to consider it. ...  would clearly have to buy this out of my "cool money" ... Now I'm going to go crawl into my frugal hole and probably never admit it to anybody again, even if I do end up buying the dryer...

Possible win-win idea here:

Maybe HOPE_Academy would sell hers to you for half-price -- she can use the money to go get something she wants, and you get a break on something you could use. ;)

• Like 4

Possible win-win idea here:

Maybe HOPE_Academy would sell hers to you for half-price -- she can use the money to go get something she wants, and you get a break on something you could use. ;)

It would not be the worst idea...

• Like 1

I probably would never buy it because I don't care enough about my hair. But I have long thick wavy hair that takes forever to dry. I've mostly given up.  I dry it just a bit and then let it air dry. Sometimes the underneath part is still damp at the end of the day. So I can understand why for some people it would be worth it.