Menu

Anyone use BJU? Or use them for testing? 3rd gr. question

summerly

This is our first year testing my 3rd grader and I am using BJU on the advice of some other homeschool moms. I got the materials today and I have some confusion concerning the "Word Study Skills" questions. Example: the "er" in teacher is the same as the "er" in helper, faster, or bigger? The "s" in writes means the same as the "s" in hugs, yes, or cubs?

DS, DH, and I all disagree on what they are looking for! We are coming from A Beka for language arts and my 7th grader has always tested extremely well (at co-op). I am 35 years old and college educated and so is my DH lol. Is this really that complicated? :confused1:  What is your take? My daughter has not seen the materials and I won't be sharing any of this with her prior to test time but I was trying to familiarize myself with everything beforehand and this was on the first page.

They want you to notice that the -er ending is for someone who teaches or helps, rather than a suffix to show comparison. The -s ending is for third person present tense verbs (writes and hugs) rather than part of a root word or a plural noun.

They want you to notice that the -er ending is for someone who teaches or helps, rather than a suffix to show comparison. The -s ending is for third person present tense verbs (writes and hugs) rather than part of a root word or a plural noun.

So in the 2nd question, what is the answer they are looking for? :confused1: I guess cubs? I guess where I'm confused is hugs could also be a plural of the noun hug, yes?

Edited by summerly

So in the 2nd question, what is the answer they are looking for? :confused1: I guess cubs? I guess where I'm confused is hugs could also be a plural of the noun hug, yes?

No, it's the same as the "s" in hugs (writes and hugs being verbs--he hugs me; he writes a letter).

The "er" in teacher is the same as the one in helper (both are nouns, the other choices are verbs and adjectives).

And yes, I think that those questions are over complicated.  Is this the ITBS ?  I've never done the word study.

Edited by freesia

No, it's the same as the "s" in hugs (writes and hugs being verbs--he hugs me; he writes a letter).

The "er" in teacher is the same as the one in helper (both are nouns, the other choices are verbs and adjectives).

And yes, I think that those questions are over complicated.  Is this the ITBS ?  I've never done the word study.

This is the Stanford Achievement Test.