Menu

East O the Sun and West O the Moon

Just read this book to the kids. It was my first time reading it. So, youngest daughter of the family in the story. Polar bear comes in and sheds his coat and lies next to her each night. Kind of got weirded out and chuckled at that part of the story while reading it aloud to the kids. Does anyone else feel like pausing and having "awkward talks with Mom" in the middle of the school day? Lesson Today: Norwegian folk tale AND let's discuss sexuality and that you should 1. Never allow a grown man in your bed, kids 2. You have the right to say NO anytime when it comes to your body 

Anyone else on the poorly read side of things, and struggling through wanting to read a wide range of content w/your kids.... and just don't know what to say about young girls sleeping with grown up man polar bears? Being a little silly, but also, lacking knowledge of the cultural and historical practices of the day when it was written, feeling quite at a loss on how to discuss adequately w/the kids. Feeling quite unqualified! 

I'd love to hear books you might have read aloud to your kids, challenging content you read, and how you navigate conversations w/your kids. Especially if you have a range of ages. 

So many times I feel like I'm just kind of stumbling through this home school endeavor! 

As an adult I am weirded out. I mostly wait until my kids give me some reaction to the situation being weird, then discuss. I assume if they say nothing, that the situation is going above their head and I need to wait for them to be ready.