Menu

High School Co-Op

We are part of a great co-op in our area, they are relatively new, but have loads to offer. We are trying to put together a more cohesive Highschool program that will satisfy our more advanced students. What co-op classes have you seen offered or taken part of that were successful? We are going to try and concentrate on core classes to satisfy HS requirements?

Classes that I've found useful have been speech, so students have an opportunity to present in front of peers, biology labs with dissections (we did coursework on our own), specific literature units (particularly Shakespeare), and organized P.E. to learn particular sports.

Erica in OR

• Like 4

I teach high school technology classes at our co-op. I have taught

-an apps programing class

-a 2 year electronics class that taught electric circuits while building an oscilloscope

-a hands-on, project based introduction to engineering class

next year I am teaching an Arduino projects class.

Other people have the taught the usual math and science classes but we also usually have a life skills course, a financial management course, there was a study of major wars through tabletop gaming class, and a historical movies class that I can think of right now.

• Like 2

I think hands on science is great.  I've been on leadership for a co-op for older kids.  Hands on or discussion based stuff taught in an open ended way seem to go the best.  And when I say open ended, taught to a high level, but with assignments that lend itself to a variety of commitment and interest levels.  I've taught classes where kids barely dabbled in what I was teaching and kids who I thought deserved college credit for their work.  Homeschoolers have such a wide variety of backgrounds and philosophies it's hard to cater to everyone if you're using a very lockstep curriculum. 

I do think in classes like this it is worth it to paid for a qualified instructor.

• Like 2

We are part of a great co-op in our area, they are relatively new, but have loads to offer. We are trying to put together a more cohesive Highschool program that will satisfy our more advanced students. What co-op classes have you seen offered or taken part of that were successful? We are going to try and concentrate on core classes to satisfy HS requirements?

High school classes in core subject areas that I have seen work well in the co-ops in our area:

- English -- either full credit Lit. & Comp courses, or, half credit Writing courses

- Science -- the lab component of high school science courses

- Fine Arts -- full credit courses in Art (drawing or watercolor), Music: Choir, Theater (Shakespeare), or Film Appreciation

For full courses in Math, Science, or Foreign Language, most people here do dual enrollment/dual credit at the local community college. I think we just haven't had anyone really qualified to do a solid academic course in those areas, and it's difficult to do a full credit course in these subject areas at the high school level by just meeting once a week -- JMO, but I think you need to meet 2-3x/week to really make those subjects successful as an outsourced full credit course.

Other partial credit courses that are not core classes, but tend to be very much appreciated:

- Public Speaking -- or, Speech & Debate

- Personal Finance

- Study Skills

- SAT Essay Writing

- basic auto maintenance

One other thing to consider is that if the high school homeschoolers do not have much of any other opportunity for socializing, then it's very nice to offer a few light classes that students can look forward to going to and enjoy meeting friends and socializing:

- ballroom dancing

- sewing -- for boys and girls

- crafting, jewelry making, woodworking, or hands-on for doing something and chatting

- student council -- or volunteer work on a project together

- year book

- board games

- recreational sports/Activities (basketball hoop games, flag football, goofy obstacle courses, Ultimate Frisbee, etc.)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

Mine did her lab sciences at co-op, including testing there for the last two years. We have latin at ours. She also did a journalism class which I will list as an extra curricular. They learned some journalism and put out a newsletter. She had some PE, but it was mostly free play and socializing most of the year, and they had an hour where a mom read them novels aloud. That was kind of enjoyable and relaxing for them and for me, lol. 

Ours has often had Art and Home Ec type classes too for high schoolers. 

• Like 2

I teach high school technology classes at our co-op. I have taught

-an apps programing class

-a 2 year electronics class that taught electric circuits while building an oscilloscope

-a hands-on, project based introduction to engineering class

next year I am teaching an Arduino projects class

Oooo! I wanna be in your class, Tania!  :w00t:

Edited by Lori D.

As a parent in a great co-op, I limit my kids to just 1 or 2 academic classes.  Being able to adequately complete an entire credit with just one contact hour a week, often 30 weeks at most, is HARD.  I would not want to try to cover a large chunk of their requirements that way.

IMO, the best core courses for co-ops are those that are enhanced most by group interaction.  Labs, speeches, literary discussion...  Next would be areas in which available teachers are highly skilled and/or experienced, lending an professionalism we wouldn't have at home.

Beyond that, we co-op for community building/socialization.  Half credit classes, electives, and extracurriculars (like many of those already suggested) give that, while freeing up our time at home for core courses, or parts of core courses.

(I do treat co-op a bit different at the elementary level, but that's another discussion.)

• Like 4

We normally offer Apologia Sciences and Literature each year.  Other classes that have been offered Government, Economics, IEW Elegant Essay or High School Essay Intensive, various gym classes, art, How to write Document Based Question essays, cooking, Logic, Bible.

As others have said Math does not normally work in a co-op setting, too many different styles and levels.  You can also do History courses or other social science classes such as psychology, sociology or even law.

• Like 1

In order of what I'd be willing to pay for a class or volunteer my time so my kids could take courses.....

English Lit./Comp- I'd so love to never have to worry about this again, it is in fact the only reason I consider sending my kids to P.S. (we have "tutorials" here for HSer's but they're all religious).

Science with lab or just a lab would be nice, especially for Chemistry

Speech, Economics, Government, Health.... the courses that there's no real good secular curriculum for and would benefit from a group setting.

• Like 1

I've taught Miller & Levine biology ("honors high school biology") to a small group (2 of my students + one spare) and am doing it again this coming year (last of my students, plus another spare). It could be done well in a co-op group.

Likewise, Spectrum Chemistry ("honors high school chemistry"). 

• Like 2

So much of your course offerings will really depends on what is available to you teacher-wise, or parents who want to teach and have unique skills. Like up-thread, Tania offering co-op classes in electronics and engineering, or 2_girls_mommy's co-op that offered journalism. We've had seasons where parents offered classes in their areas of expertise, like basic video game creation, cake decorating, and home repair (how to install a faucet, fix a toilet, drywall patching, etc.).

sierramv1: you'll have to come back to this thread at some point and update us on what your co-op decided on and how it's going! :)

At our co-op, the high school science classes meet for 2 hours each week, while most other classes meet for 1 hour - we offer physical science, Bio I and Bio II, and chemistry. There are also some literature classes, language classes (I think Spanish, Latin, and we recently added French). There are some courses that are offered every other year - public speaking, economics, etc. There are electives like fencing, choir, rock band, and PE. I think that our co-op is set up such that, if you wanted to and planned, you could take everything that you need to graduate from high school as a co-open class. Most students don't - they may take their science at co-op, do math at home, take classes that require a group (choir, public speaking) at co-op, and do literature at home, for example, or any other mix that fits the interests of the families. By their senior year, some students are taking so many dual enrollment classes that they choose to come to the co-op for just an elective, as much to see their friends as anything else.

• Like 1

The co-op where I am a paid tutor has turned into a small private school that meets only once a week. They teach everything needed to graduate.

Most in demand:

1. English: Writing specifically, although literature is included as well.

2. Science: sometimes only labs are offered.

3. Math tutoring: All students use the same curriculum but there isn't any "teaching" in class. Parents correct work at home and the math tutor helps with trouble concepts when they meet.

4.Spanish.