Menu

Garage sale pricing -- odd items

Cecropia

I'm getting ready for a garage sale and I have a lot of experience, but I'm not sure what to price these.  Opinions requested...

- Fabric remnants, all kinds (costume, quilt, garment, fleece).  Some boutique fabrics in here.  Good size pieces.  Thinking of using my kitchen scale and charging roughly $2 a lb?  Or fill a gallon ziploc bag for $2?  (I am also selling some yardage priced from $1-$4 a yard depending on the quality & width).

- A 6.5' tall double shepherd's hook in primary blue.  Really curly, whimsical.  Kind of thin (good for bird feeders, not heavy hanging baskets).  $5 too high?

- A 60 x 36 wood pallet in decent condition, for a pallet... pretty rough wood, you know?  I see DIY's with these on pinterest all the time, so I'm not crazy to try and sell this, right?  $2?  $4?  Or I'll be lucky to give it away for free?

I'll come back to this thread if I find more.

Pallet would be free because I can pick them up for free here.

Shepards hook price sounds good at 5.

Fabric- one of my favorite yard sale finds is fabric sold by the bag.  Usually, it is a grocery bag filled for 3-5 dollars (depends on size and fullness).  Even the mennonite fabric shop I go to does this.  A huge store bag is usually 8-10 dollars.   Personally, I would not buy fabric at at yard sale by the pound.

• Like 2

You're fine on the shepherd's hook and I might actually start the pallet at $5 and drop it later. Some people want things like that. 

I would either price your fabrics individually or in bundles or sell them at $X per bag. I wouldn't bother with the kitchen scale.

I  :001_wub: garage sales! Hope it goes well!

• Like 1

Fabric remnants, meaning large scraps? I'd say $2-$3 for a gallon zip bag is fine. Will they be in a bin and people pick their own, or will you pre-pack?

Larger pieces I'd price however you think is reasonable, and list yardage/width and fabric content. Put it in a zip bag.

And because people are miserable, I'd also have a giant sign saying they cannot open the bags, and all measurements and fabric content is approximate.

In my experience, trying to sell off my fabric stash was too annoying. Well, people were annoying. I ended up donating about a dozen large boxes (laundry basket size) of fabric, notions, trim, thread, and all of my good intentions LOL to DD's high school costume department. I am certain I saw some of my "fiber babies" onstage this year <3 !

• Like 1

[eta: meant to quote Rebel]

Wow, you donated a lot of stuff!  I would have loved to peruse your sale... but sadly, I'm drowning in fabric as it is.  It's an addiction, I tell ya.

Yes, medium to large scraps.  The remnants will be loose in a box, not bagged up.  It would be hard for me to buy fabric enclosed in a bag without having a chance to feel it, KWIM?  The yardage is already measured, rolled up, tied and labeled.  I didn't bother to label fabric content.  In some cases, I'm not completely sure!  I penciled in a "code" for each fabric on the backs of the tags in case the ties come off and and tags get mixed up (or someone tries to pull a fast one).

Edited by Cecropia
  • Like 1