Menu

The Where's My Day of Rest? Teachers Lounge 5-8-2017

scrapbookbuzz

Good morning! Welcome to the Teachers Lounge!

I've missed you all. I realize it has only been a weekend but, literally, on Saturday I actually considered opening the Lounge

because I enjoyed the chat last week so much!

Today's title is courtesy of my Sunday NOT being much of a day of rest! Productive, but I need a day already! It all started probably LAST Monday when I had Jury Duty. Then most of the rest of the week was Tech Week for my son and a blur for me. Friday I took dd to theater class, picked up my supplies to work the Farmers Market on Saturday, went home, picked up son to take him to his call time for his opening night, then I came back home to finish prepping Directors Gifts. SATURDAY I woke up early, got stuff together, discovered the Farmers Market opened one hour EARLIER than I anticipated (still got there on time, thank God!), did that, zipped out of there to see my son's final performance, brought kids home, then took my market money to the boss's house to settle accounts, then came home. I was a little bit tired by then. Then SUNDAY was church. We've gone back to staying the whole morning now that the youth group Sunday school has been moved to the second service time slot. After church was a fundraising lunch and activity for the youth, and dh and I had a Mission Board meeting.

Oh, before church, I stopped by a friend's house to pick up some garden-fresh chard. After church, after prepping the chard, I stopped by another friend's house for some garden-fresh oregano. After that stopped at a Goodwill to find some planting pots. Found one. Came home and thought about what else needed to be done. I'd been so busy that day and knew if I stayed home, I wouldn't let myself rest so I found a movie for another friend and I to go see: The Lost City of Z. Then I came home and made some chard chips, then took a bath, then went to bed! I figured out that by the time I went to sleep last night, I'd been awake almost 19 hours straight. No wonder I was tired!

Yes, I realize some of this was my doing. But all that to say that I really need to REST today. So when the kids are both awake and have come down for food, I will set them to their household tasks for the day. And some schoolwork they can do on their own. I do have an appointment at 11:30, but beyond that, I.will.be.resting.

*deep breath*

Anyone have as busy a week/end as I did? Do tell!

When you know you absolutely need to take a day and MUST rest, what are your go-to strategies for making sure

you don't not rest? Here: still working on that. I might indulge in a Netflix show, or two, and read: some from the Holy Bible and some from The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan. Might even sit outside and do that as it's relatively nice weather forecasted here for the next 3 days or so.

Any appointments today? Here: just with an Edward Jones advisor to talk about some LTC (long term care) options. Seeing my mom go down the Alzheimer's path, and neither she nor her husband being prepared for that, and knowing that dementia may be in my genetic makeup, I want dh and I to be prepared financially for the kind of care that will entail. Personally, I think family should be able to be family, and let trained caregivers do the "heavy lifting" so to speak. Not that I think family isn't capable of the care. I've just seen it be an emotional burden as well. Anyway, just seeing what I can do to ease the burden a bit.

Talk to me! :bigear: 

Oh, snacks.  Hmm. I have pizza-flavored chard chips. I have some oranges. Beyond that it's tea or coffee. Sorry about that. 

• Like 2

Weekend: Mine wasn't busy.  Cameron worked on Saturday.  We did something on Saturday but I can't remember what now.  On Sunday we were supposed to go to church, but Adrian was having intense stomach pain from who knows what and I spent the first hour of church in my chair holding a very in pain little boy.  He's fine now.  He's got Celiac and some food allergies, but we can't figure out what it was that caused it.  Cameron came home early from church and I had to take him to a really long Demo Team practice.  This week is going to be intensely busy.  Yay.

Make sure I rest: First, convince myself I actually don't need to do every single thing on my to do list (not easy) and second, read.  If I am too exhausted to read, I find something on Netflix to start at.

Appointments Today: None.  Ani was supposed to have PT, but we had to switch it to Thursday because they are having to convince the insurance company that she needs more sessions (she does) and they won't have the answer until later today.  I really, really hate it when insurance companies play doctor.

I'll contribute some gluten free pretzels to the snack pile today.

• Like 2

Gluten free pretzels sound yummy!

I know what you mean about health insurance companies. So often, it seems, they get so far away from the "health" part and it's all about

"wha'ts our profit margin?" and "how can we get out of paying for this?" Here's praying it all works out!

I am now getting AWAY from the computer a bit to go veg in front of Netflix before I have to get dressed and go to my appointment.

• Like 2

My weekend was too busy. Yesterday was ds' birthday (note the date and you get the meaning of my user name!), and we went out to eat and celebrate Saturday night. The rest of the weekend was church, his drama team practice, and some grocery shopping. We played some games and watched some stuff together. 

If I wanted to or needed to rest, I would just stay home and not do anything. I'd have dh feed the family. I can't say a time that I've truly needed to rest a whole day anytime in recent years. 

I dropped off my car at a transmission place to have it checked out. I've got a serious error code coming up, and evidently, these transmission usually have to be completely replaced. Ds has an ortho appointment this afternoon. If I decided to go, there's a mom's night out at a local restaurant. 

I have honey roasted peanuts, apples, and bananas. I have my favorite tea, Good Earth Sweet & Spicy

• Like 2

Margaret, I'm exhausted just reading about your schedule today!

My appointment went well: I was meeting with a financial advisor to go over some LTC options. Don't want to be caught unprepared should I 

need it. Was also able to get some fast food for lunch that was relatively inexpensive. I'm working on not doing fast food so often but sometimes with deals and coupons, it just helps out too much to pass up! 

Now to rest for about an hour and then head out again to go pay some bills.

• Like 3

You guys all sound so busy!  It seems like I always need an extra day too. 

Over the weekend we took DS's tire to get it replaced because he ran over something but the rim was cracked so now we have to order a new rim.  I hate having to shell out money for that because it's always something but it's not as bad as a new transmission (Amy--sorry about that!) and he's paying half.  We got our furniture ordered and I'm excited about that coming in.  We had major water damage in the house that messed up some furniture and we had to have a lot of work done.   I started hanging string lights outside for my son's graduation party.  It's early but once I started checking the strands to see if they worked, one thing led to the next. 

Oh, and I did have a doctor appointment today that I was kicking myself last night for making it so early!!! 

Snacks-I do have some leftover cherry crisp with vanilla ice cream that is just sitting over there tempting me.  I made it last night (even though I shouldn't have).  DH and I loved it but the kids aren't eating it.  I'm really trying to get my eating right after the weekend. 

Edited by HeWillSoar
  • Like 3

Hi y'all,

Yesterday Celery wasn't feeling good again. Broccoli was okay though, so since we'd gotten the test booklets on Saturday afternoon, I had him do the math section. Today I had him do math computation, spelling, and vocabulary, and Celery did all of the above as well (I let them both pick the order in which they wanted to do stuff, and they are so they're like exactly the same so far), as well as of course speech therapy and a dentist appt. And I think I'm going to have Broccoli do one or two more sections of standardized test. Just want that over with. I don't want to have to think about tests when I've got to think about moving. 

• Like 2

I usually can't do the honey-roasted peanuts as they usually contain wheat, believe it or not!

However, I'll gladly take an apple and a banana. Thanks!

Okay, now time to get dressed and head out to my appointment.

Scrap, do you have Kroger near you? Kroger brand honey roasted peanuts have NO wheat in them. It doesn't even say natural flavoring or anything it could be hiding in. 

• Like 1