Menu

Math Help Curriculum? Has anyone used it??

I am still desperately trying to find an Algebra curriculum for dd & ds for next year.  We've been using TT and dd especially doesn't feel there is enough explanation in the pre-algebra, so we are searching.  A good friend recommended Math Help; mathhelp.com .  I can't seem to find much info. on it, except Cathy Duffy did give it an excellent review in 2016.  It used to be called "Algebra Classmate" as well as "Your Teacher".  Anyway, I am leaning towards this, but wanted more feedback from the Hive.

Or any other recommendations, please.  Dd is not strong in math, and before TT we used MUS.  She thought MUS went way too much into the reasons of how you got to the answer, and the why's behind everything, yet as I said, with TT she feels like they don't go over the concepts super well, or explain why you should use a certain formula for a certain problem, etc...  We don't need anything super rigorous but I want something that will give her the solid foundation so that she doesn't end up floundering, especially when she gets to Algebra II.  She will only be taking Alg., Geometry, and Alg.II.  

Please help!

(Also, text book only isn't great, a combo. would be best)

Tammi

Videotext, maybe? I haven't used it, but I've heard that it does explain the principles behind the methods pretty clearly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That is another I was looking at, as well as Math Relief.  No matter which one I choose, I think it would be wise for us to start with some type of tutoring, also.  I want to make sure she understands from the get go!

We have used Abeka and TT. We switched from Abeka to TT for 10-12 because of how much TT does explain everything in detail. The one thing we had a hard time with is proofs. I never did find something that explained to my son what order a proof goes in. Sorry I'm not much help.

Math Help is good for summer review but not as a full curriculum IMO. The videos are as interesting as watching paint dry and there isn't nearly enough review to be a core math. My math struggler wouldn't have been able to break new ground with it.

In your shoes I think I'd go back to MUS. Too much why is certainly better than not feeling like you understand it. I'd much rather overteach algebra than leave the kid hanging. That or go with one with a tutor on the other end.

Fwiw, MUS with a tutor is where my math struggler found his happy spot for high school.

Archived