Menu

help-how much water in an Americano?

ktgrok

I got a Nespresso as an early mother's day gift, and given that I'm addicted to Starbuck's Iced Americanos I want to make one at home. I cannot figure out how much water to use though. I know the Starbucks one is 2 shots of espresso, and the tall cup is 12 oz. Not sure how much of that is ice vs water though, and then there is of course the regular hot americano...I will fool around but if anyone is an Americano fan or a former Starbuck's barista, I'd love some tips!!!

• Like 1

An americano is espresso topped off with hot water. So it depends on your size of cup and strength preferences, but when I was a barista we generally did 2 shots in a 12 oz, 3 in a 16, and 4 in a 24 oz. It was pretty strong.

I make iced Americanos at home and it is the same principle, except you shock the shots by dumping them over ice (usually 2/3 full, minimum) and then top off with cold water.

I'm a many year barista. And an iced Americano drinker. My FAVORITE way to do it was to put espresso over ice and let it melt it. There became a regional named drink called the STD, named very tongue in cheek by someone else for my initials and the D for drink. It was an iced Venti vanilla no water Americano with cream.

• Like 2

The title of your thread got me. I didn't know that was a drink.  In Spanish,  Americano = American or "Gringo".  Americana would be a "Gringa" or female American.  Now, I know, what an "Americano" is.  Enjoy your new machine and soon you will be an expert at making drinks with it.   

Edited by Lanny

Hah! On first glance I read the title of this thread as "How much water in an American?"

And my brain went --  :huh:  

:laugh:

Carry on . . . 

+1   I'd only had one cup of Colombian Coffee when I saw the thread title.  But still, I didn't know that was a drink. I hope the OP will enjoy drinking lots of cups of "Americano".  

• Like 1