Menu

Right Start Math Card Games Book

I'm planning on lots of math games over the summer with my rising 3rd grader & wonder if the Right Start Math Card Games book is worth the investment ($27 + S/H). She's in public school & we don't use Right Start at home but the description of this book says it can be used as a stand-alone supplement. She loves math & doesn't need any remediation or anything--we just want to keep engaged mathematically in a fun way over the summer. Is the $30+ worth it or can I find free online descriptions of the book's games?

We enjoy it but we use Right Start so it came with the curriculum. If I were you I would try to find it used.

Good idea! I found one a lot cheaper on Amazon but it's just the book & CD. Do you think regular playing cards & an abacus could be substituted for the Right Start ones? Would I need any other supplies to play the games? Many thanks.

Right Start has fraction cards and the small cards for the corners game and money cards. So those are not like regular playing cards.

OK, gotcha. So I should try to find the entire kit--cards & all--in order to effectively use their card game book. Thanks for the head's up!

You definitely need the set. Some of the games could be played with a modified card deck, but a lot of them require the special cards. And our favorites were the Corners cards and you absolutely couldn't make those or alter a regular deck for them.

The games are sort of a mix. Some of them are great for introducing ideas, but not particularly fun to play over and over. Others are great for playing over and over. Others just weren't great for us. I had them on their own as a supplement and I was very glad we had them.

• Like 1

We use it as a stand alone supplement. I still think it is worth it. You get a lot of games for the money, where if you bought that many individual games it would be a lot! You can often find it on eBay, and also you can certainly resell it there once you are finished with it.

• Like 1

They have smaller games sets for specific things... it has one deck and a booklet with a few of the games for the skill. So you could buy the fractions set. Or the corners set. I would buy the whole thing but if money is an issue the single sets are a thought.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk