Menu

Does this mean I'm allergic? Strange symptoms.

38carrots

I've replaced some of my bread intake with GF bread, as DD is GF and we have GF bread at home on a regular basis. But I continued eating typical baked products as well. I haven't baked with regular flour in years.

A couple of days ago I bought sprouted wheat flour and organic wheat flour and baked two loaves of bread. While kneeding it and with the flour around me I felt a bit of a tingling in my cheeks.

The following day I ate some of the bread--delicious. But started feeling that very same tingling in my cheeks, behind my ears and at the back of my teeth. The tingling / buzzing / throbbing / needles grew into a headache.

I might be also having some body aches, but it could be my imagination + I worked out extra hard the day before, so really not sure.

I can eat store-bought bread and donuts etc with no problems.

Allergic? Allergic to what? Why other donuts are just fine?

it sounds like it to me. sprouting changes the quality of the grain. sprouted grains contains parts that are removed from refined flours, and even "whole grain" flours. flour also carries yeasts and molds that could be affecting you. it could be this specific batch that is contaminated with something you've not encountered before. 

• Like 3

Sounds like an oral allergic reaction. Do you have pollen allergies? Sometimes you can get something called Oral Allergy Syndrome where you react to certain foods because of similarities between them and the pollens you are allergic to. It's still an allergy, though and needs to be evaluated by a doctor.

I react MUCH worse to whole wheat than I do to white flour, so yes, I'd say you have a mild wheat allergy.

It used to be pretty typical for those with a mild wheat allergy to do okay with white flour - there's even an old Meg Ryan movie where she met her boyfriend because their sandwiches were mixed up.  I want to say it was Sleepless in Seattle, but I'm not certain.