Menu

Audiobooks of classics with animals in the story?

My ds8 would like more books with animals in the stories. He likes humor. He just listened to the Fantastic Mr. Fox (Roald Dahl) and enjoyed it. However it really does need to be available on audio, not just print. I'd love to do the Sam Campbell series with him, and I can't find them on audio, sigh.

I don't know why I'm drawing a blank here on ideas. Any suggestions? :)

Not too picky on the levels. He listens to kiddie lit all the way to adult. You never know what will catch him. He specifically wanted fictional animals as major characters, so there you go.

Not sure if all these come on audio but check these:

The Rescuers (series) by Margery Sharp--so much better than the movie

eta: there are tons of books in The Rescuers series.  Some of the later ones are on the darker side.

Owls in the family by Mowat--funny

Freddy the Pig series (Freddy goes to Florida, Freddy the Detective, etc.)--funny series

Big Red

Poppy series by Avi

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh (sp?)

Someone on here recommended James Herriot's books for animal lovers--All Things Wise and Wonderful, All Creatures Great and Small, etc. 

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

The complete Beatrix Potter is available on Audible

The abridged Roal Dahl series was done by Blackstone Audio, and many of them contain animals.

Jim Weiss at Greathall Productions is one of our favorites.  We picked up his recording of Jungle Book (abridged) at the Cincinnati homeschool convention and are enjoying it.

Another idea...if you shop for any of these titles at Audible, the site will track your searches and suggest many similar works.  It's a handy feature.

• Like 1

Purdue, we use BARD a lot now, because he is dyslexic. But yes I like to rabbit trail. :)

Well he's happily listening to Cricket in Times Square at the moment. Turns out Seldon has a number of other books, so that should help for a while! We tried Dr. Doolittle's Circus last night (not the first but a sequel) and apparently he couldn't follow it. 

I'll keep looking up the others you listed. I don't remember if I've tried Avi on him. He loves Beverly Cleary, yes. I think he has read (ear read) some of the Dick King Smith books. He might really get into Burgess. Actually, even just an audiobook of Aesop's fables might work, hmm... The morals are totally lost on him. 

Brian Jacques, Redwall (and sequels) - mice

Erin Hunter, Into the Wild (first book in the first Warriors series) - cats.

Hunter also has a series called Seekers about bears, but we didn't read that one.

• Like 1