Menu

Can we talk math?

I'm looking for ... something different I think. We've been using Horizons, however I don't feel like there is ANY explanation for the student. Not even in the teachers guide. I feel like the TG is more of a have the student review flash cards, etc.

What math actually has some explanation written the student? A third grader if thst makes s difference.

There are explanations in the CLE student workbooks (called light units) and in the TM.

If you want lots of depth but daily work includes plenty of review and a balance of conceptual and algorithms with math facts worked on systematically on the side but built into the system you could run CLE as the spine alongside Beast Academy as the supplement for the additional depth.

I second Math Mammoth for 3rd grade. That's when I shifted my now Year 5 child to it because the lack of instruction on the page in Primary MEP and having all the extra bit beyond the page each day was really frustrating for her. 

Math Mammoth has the explanations very clearly in the book.

Beast Academy has explanations for the student in the guide. They're very well done. However, it's really only a good program for certain kids.

Math in Focus has the explanations in the textbook and they're done pretty clearly.

• Like 2

CLE is thoroughly written to the student in levels 200 and above. My fifth grader requires almost no instruction and gets excellent grades. For the next level I didn't even bother getting the teacher's guide, only the answer key - cause everything they need is right there in the lightunits.