Menu

Really liking CWP

My five year old just sat and did a bunch of problems in CWP 1. He completed Process Skills 1 yesterday but it wasn't as interesting to him. I AM glad I made him do it though because at first he did sometimes write the equation wrong. The math was correct but didn't reflect what he actually did to get the answer if that makes sense.

Anyway, glad I listened to the advice here.

Question: The math is still much below his level (he's working solidly in Singapore 3). Would you still make him write out bar models in CWP if he can solve the problem immediately in his head? I already have Process Skills 2 for when he's done with CWP 1 so he will get more modeling practice either way. So have him do, say half, with modeling for the application practice or wait until he actually needs help thinking through a problem, even if that's not until CWP 3?

I let my son slide on drawing out bar models at earlier levels. When he tells me that he doesn't know who to solve a problem, I always ask whether he made his bar model and usually that gets him over the bump. Proper labeling is a huge issue as well. I do wonder now whether or not his tendency to not want to show his work is due to me not being more insistent that he always do it or if it's just a normal problem that every kid goes through in wanting to shortcut their way through their math. When the problems get more complex, you simply have to show your work step by step or it becomes so easy to make silly errors.

This is something we are working on (all the time it seems. Sometimes until I want to poke my eye out!) because the numbers are simply getting too large and the word problems have too many details without properly setting things up either with bar models or if moving on to algebriac expressions, writing out the knowns and variables.

Edited by calbear

I've never asked him to show his work before. I've asked him how he got the answer but most of the time he'll give me a fanciful story rather than a math proof. I think I'll just let him continue on doing his own thing while it's so easy, and maybe alternate every few weeks between Process Skills and CWP rather than doing all of one book at a time, to keep the modeling skills fresh until he gets to a point where he actually needs them.